O'Shea heated in CJOB post game interview

Mr. Perfect

Have come to a conclusion that the reason for all these low scoring games this year... hell another one in the calgary bc game.... is simple.

It's because after a big play normally for the offence, the refs throw a flag.. pretty hard for an offence to gain some consistency or momentum if you will if they are being flagged every other play. Refs are very flag happy this year, calling way more penalties than they have in the past. It's a problem. Gotta let the teams play. 

I noticed that in Edmonton v. Sask.  Several  big plays by Edmonton, taken back by calls, one a hold half the width of the field away from the actual run. It does ruin the fun of watching the game. These referees don't understand, we aren't watching the game to see them throw flags, and have meetings on national TV. 

The penalty call was for unnecessary roughness and it was deserved. Put the blame where it belongs - on the player who made a boneheaded play, not the official. 

Have come to a conclusion that the reason for all these low scoring games this year... hell another one in the calgary bc game.... is simple.

It's because after a big play normally for the offence, the refs throw a flag.. pretty hard for an offence to gain some consistency or momentum if you will if they are being flagged every other play. Refs are very flag happy this year, calling way more penalties than they have in the past. It's a problem. Gotta let the teams play. 

I noticed that in Edmonton v. Sask.  Several  big plays by Edmonton, taken back by calls, one a hold half the width of the field away from the actual run. It does ruin the fun of watching the game. These referees don't understand, we aren't watching the game to see them throw flags, and have meetings on national TV. 

The penalty call was for unnecessary roughness and it was deserved. Put the blame where it belongs - on the player who made a boneheaded play, not the official. 

I've noticed you like to stick up for the reffing a lot, do you have a family member who refs games? it has to be cuz you have got to be kidding me with some of these calls this year. Not just bomber  games but league wide, the reffing has been awful and is the main reason why scoring is down so much this year. 

I've noticed you like to stick up for the reffing a lot, do you have a family member who refs games? it has to be cuz you have got to be kidding me with some of these calls this year. Not just bomber  games but league wide, the reffing has been awful and is the main reason why scoring is down so much this year. 

I don't stick up for officials until the accusations being made against them starting bordering on the ridiculous. Are there times when I get really frustrated and angry with the officiating (in any sport I watch) - yeah, of course. The thing is officials get bashed for making the correct calls/non-calls more often than they are bashed when making a legitimate mistake. Before this season started, the officials were instructed to call certain infractions more closely and then they get bashed for doing it. It's the players themselves who should be taking a lot of blame for the increase, not the officials. Penalties are up but the ones that have seen the biggest increases are ones that the players can control. Objectionable conduct penalties are up 45% and  Offensive holding, Illegal blocks are up 44% - that's on the players.

I don't stick up for officials until the accusations being made against them starting bordering on the ridiculous. Are there times when I get really frustrated and angry with the officiating (in any sport I watch) - yeah, of course. The thing is officials get bashed for making the correct calls/non-calls more often than they are bashed when making a legitimate mistake. Before this season started, the officials were instructed to call certain infractions more closely and then they get bashed for doing it. It's the players themselves who should be taking a lot of blame for the increase, not the officials. Penalties are up but the ones that have seen the biggest increases are ones that the players can control. Objectionable conduct penalties are up 45% and procedural penalties (Offside, Procedure, Time count, Delay, Too many men, Illegal participation/substitution are grouped together) are up 44% - that's on the players, not the officials. 

Procedural penalties are up 15% not 44%, not sure where you got that from. Objectionable conduct penalties going up isn't a good thing in my mind either, the referees need to put their flags away on a lot of those. I find it very interesting that objectionable conduct calls are seeing such a huge increase while major fouls such as face masking, roughing the passer, horse collar tackling, etc are seeing a small increase if any. In fact, when you isolate just face masking calls, they're actually down nearly 20% this year.

Some of the objectionable conduct are just silly.  A guy gets up and "celebrates", probably spouts off to the opposing player and gets a flag.  Who cares.  I want to see anger and energy.  I dont want a guy who got a play made against him to get up thinking "hahaha you got a flag".  I want him getting up saying "yeah?  Bring it" and go out and make a play himself.

Some people make too much of the media.  Remember, this is their job and they have stories and deadlines etc.  If they have an assignment and it hinches on a MOS presser and he's literally saying nothing, do I blame a writer for asking questions or even trying to lead the HC down a path?  Thats their job.  If I was MOS, I'd just be honest and straight forward and that doesnt mean blaming the players.  But a lot of the media arent idiots so treating them like they are isnt worth the trouble.

I don't stick up for officials until the accusations being made against them starting bordering on the ridiculous. Are there times when I get really frustrated and angry with the officiating (in any sport I watch) - yeah, of course. The thing is officials get bashed for making the correct calls/non-calls more often than they are bashed when making a legitimate mistake. Before this season started, the officials were instructed to call certain infractions more closely and then they get bashed for doing it. It's the players themselves who should be taking a lot of blame for the increase, not the officials. Penalties are up but the ones that have seen the biggest increases are ones that the players can control. Objectionable conduct penalties are up 45% and procedural penalties (Offside, Procedure, Time count, Delay, Too many men, Illegal participation/substitution are grouped together) are up 44% - that's on the players, not the officials. 

Procedural penalties are up 15% not 44%, not sure where you got that from. Objectionable conduct penalties going up isn't a good thing in my mind either, the referees need to put their flags away on a lot of those. I find it very interesting that objectionable conduct calls are seeing such a huge increase while major fouls such as face masking, roughing the passer, horse collar tackling, etc are seeing a small increase if any. In fact, when you isolate just face masking calls, they're actually down nearly 20% this year.

Sorry I had the wrong column. It's Offensive holding, Illegal blocks that are up 44% which is actually rather funny when you consider how much people complain about holding not being called enough. I'll edit my original post with the correction.

But in many cases, objectionable conduct is a penalty we can't judge whether a flag should be thrown or not. Players know what they can and can't say when they are on the field and if they are still running their mouths then they deserve the penalties. 

Sorry I had the wrong column. It's Offensive holding, Illegal blocks that are up 44% which is actually rather funny when you consider how much people complain about holding not being called enough. I'll edit my original post with the correction.

But in many cases, objectionable conduct is a penalty we can't judge whether a flag should be thrown or not. Players know what they can and can't say when they are on the field and if they are still running their mouths then they deserve the penalties. 

I find it interesting that you go on to say "they deserve the penalties" after initially saying we as fans cannot judge. Why do you automatically side with the referee instead of the player?

After each of those losses, Osh's reply to press has always been, we need to do a better job coaching/teaching the players not to make those mistakes. Going on 8 weeks now, the media has the right to ask how long is this going to take to sink in.

But thats not what they asked or said that pissed him off, seriously dude,, the cjob reporter on the sidelines keith mccullough or whatever his name is tweeted something he thought o'shea said when o'shea actually didn't say it... Wouldn't that piss you off too? If not then you haven't been paying much attention to how O'shea operates. Wont throw players under the bus and the tweet the CJOB reporter sent out implied that Oshea threw Lirim under the bus when in fact he didn't. The tweet is gone now too so what does that tell you exactly? McCullough was dead wrong. Otherwise the tweet would still be there for all to see. Oshea spent 15 seconds talking about that tweet and hasn't since. Done and Done. 

And I dont think he should have spent any time responding to it. Why was it a priority for this team that he was showed  a "tweet" immediately after the game?

After each of those losses, Osh's reply to press has always been, we need to do a better job coaching/teaching the players not to make those mistakes. Going on 8 weeks now, the media has the right to ask how long is this going to take to sink in.

But thats not what they asked or said that pissed him off, seriously dude,, the cjob reporter on the sidelines keith mccullough or whatever his name is tweeted something he thought o'shea said when o'shea actually didn't say it... Wouldn't that piss you off too? If not then you haven't been paying much attention to how O'shea operates. Wont throw players under the bus and the tweet the CJOB reporter sent out implied that Oshea threw Lirim under the bus when in fact he didn't. The tweet is gone now too so what does that tell you exactly? McCullough was dead wrong. Otherwise the tweet would still be there for all to see. Oshea spent 15 seconds talking about that tweet and hasn't since. Done and Done. 

And I dont think he should have spent any time responding to it. Why was it a priority for this team that he was showed  a "tweet" immediately after the game?

I'm not sure he was showed the tweet.  From the final gun to the actual interview, there were a ****load of people that he would have encountered that may have brought it up.  Doesn't Keith do the sidline report for CJOB?  He might have actually asked him on his way back to the locker room

I've noticed you like to stick up for the reffing a lot, do you have a family member who refs games? it has to be cuz you have got to be kidding me with some of these calls this year. Not just bomber games but league wide, the reffing has been awful and is the main reason why scoring is down so much this year.

I find it interesting that you go on to say "they deserve the penalties" after initially saying we as fans cannot judge. Why do you automatically side with the referee instead of the player?

I said "if they keep running their mouths". Players talk smack to each other all the time with no penalties called - it's the player who doesn't know when to stop who will get the flag in a lot of situations. And in those cases he deserves it.

Don't you think that is because in many cases the players know they were victimized by a bad call or by a non call?  Why so much this year?

Don't you think that is because in many cases the players know they were victimized by a bad call or by a non call?  Why so much this year?

I just find it interesting that face masks, RTP, horse collars, etc saw a minimal increase (or in some cases a decrease) but penalties for objectionable conduct (i.e. things like unsportsmanlike conduct) are WAY up. You're right with what you thought I was implying - it doesn't seem like the players are getting heated with eachother on the field because of dirty play ... so if they are getting heated ... who is left?

I've noticed you like to stick up for the reffing a lot, do you have a family member who refs games? it has to be cuz you have got to be kidding me with some of these calls this year. Not just bomber games but league wide, the reffing has been awful and is the main reason why scoring is down so much this year.

Don't you think that is because in many cases the players know they were victimized by a bad call or by a non call? Why so much this year?

I just find it interesting that face masks, RTP, horse collars, etc saw a minimal increase (or in some cases a decrease) but penalties for objectionable conduct (i.e. things like unsportsmanlike conduct) are WAY up. You're right with what you thought I was implying - it doesn't seem like the players are getting heated with eachother on the field because of dirty play ... so if they are getting heated ... who is left?

If players were being flagged for saying things to the officials, wouldn't there be more fines? I think one of the reasons why there has been an increase is due to the crackdown on player safety issues (which was pushed by the CFLPA). I was watching a replay of the RedBlacks/Bomber game on YouTube and there were 3 objectionable conduct penalties called for things like players taking shots against other players after the play was over. I might check out some other games to see what was called.

There's an old saying that goes "Never get into an argument with guys who buy ink by the barrel."

That must be really old

they'd buy the ink by the barrel with nickels, which had bees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

You see, back in those days, rich men would ride around in Zeppelins, dropping coins on people, and one day I seen J.D. Rockefeller flying by. So I run up the house with a big washtub and... Anyway, about my washtub. I'd just used it that morning to wash my turkey, which in those days was known as a walking-bird. We'd always have walking-bird on Thanksgiving, with all the trimmings: cranberries, yams stuffed with gunpowder. Then we'd all watch football, which in those days was called baseball...

If anything the play on the field seems less objectionable conducty this year than in previous years.  From a casual observer point of view.

There's an old saying that goes "Never get into an argument with guys who buy ink by the barrel."

That must be really old

they'd buy the ink by the barrel with nickels, which had bees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

You see, back in those days, rich men would ride around in Zeppelins, dropping coins on people, and one day I seen J.D. Rockefeller flying by. So I run up the house with a big washtub and... Anyway, about my washtub. I'd just used it that morning to wash my turkey, which in those days was known as a walking-bird. We'd always have walking-bird on Thanksgiving, with all the trimmings: cranberries, yams stuffed with gunpowder. Then we'd all watch football, which in those days was called baseball...

That must be really old

Thank you Mr. Burns, it's time for you nap. :lol:

I'm not sure he was showed the tweet.  From the final gun to the actual interview, there were a ****load of people that he would have encountered that may have brought it up.  Doesn't Keith do the sidline report for CJOB?  He might have actually asked him on his way back to the locker room

I suspect he was lurking near the Bomber bench and probably heard the exchange between Lriam and O'Shea and just condensed it to fit the twitter format.  O'Shea was probably most upset because he considered that a private moment not for public consumption.

Abe_simpson.gif

Three wars back we called Sauerkraut "liberty cabbage" and we called liberty cabbage "super slaw" and back then a suitcase was known as a "Swedish lunchbox." Of course, nobody knew that but me. Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

I suspect he was lurking near the Bomber bench and probably heard the exchange between Lriam and O'Shea and just condensed it to fit the twitter format.  O'Shea was probably most upset because he considered that a private moment not for public consumption.

No O'Shea was clear, he was upset with the word blame being in there. If the tweet had simply said "O'Shea told Lirim he needs to get the ball away quicker" I doubt there's any issue, but one thing has been very clear thus far, O'Shea will not throw anyone under the bus. 

Fair point.  The fact that it was deleted could mean a) He was called on it and it was plain wrong, or B) not wanting to soil the relationship between CJOB and the Bombers.

Abe_simpson.gif

Three wars back we called Sauerkraut "liberty cabbage" and we called liberty cabbage "super slaw" and back then a suitcase was known as a "Swedish lunchbox." Of course, nobody knew that but me. Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

LOL  Nonetheless you still need yer nap.