O'Shea hands away the LDC

White Out

I'm no kid for sure, but O'Shea has a lot of credit with me.

Count me in with those who don't like the way you disparaged our Head Coach with that title for this thread.

You may have disagreed with the call but don't pretend yours is the only opinion, or that yours is the more correct.

When someone equates me being a bandwagon fan for calling out our coach for a bad call I don't give said person much credit.

why was it a bad call? What would you be saying if we went for it on 3rd and a long 1 and got stuffed? that it was a bad call to go for it and we should have kicked the fg? 

Count me in with those who don't like the way you disparaged our Head Coach with that title for this thread.

You may have disagreed with the call but don't pretend yours is the only opinion, or that yours is the more correct.

When someone equates me being a bandwagon fan for calling out our coach for a bad call I don't give said person much credit.

why was it a bad call? What would you be saying if we went for it on 3rd and a long 1 and got stuffed? that it was a bad call to go for it and we should have kicked the fg?

I would have said we deserve to lose. If you can't make a yard in the CFL it's time to make changes. The defence has to line up 1 yard away for Christ sake.

I would have said we deserve to lose. If you can't make a yard in the CFL it's time to make changes. The defence has to line up 1 yard away for Christ sake.

yeah so damned if we do, damned if we don't. 

Your assuming we would fail on 3rd and short. In that scenario blame shifts from O'Shea to our offensive line. I mean Christ, really?

Your assuming we would fail on 3rd and short. In that scenario blame shifts from O'Shea to our offensive line. I mean Christ, really?

giphy.gif

In any case the defence had to stop them and they didn't. Whatever they called might not have made any difference anyway. 

I look at all O'Shea has done and truly appreciate his efforts on and off the field. I think we are expecting too much this year. Being realistic do you think we would be able to beat the Grey Cup champions at home with all the changes the team has made in one year?.  We needed luck and perhaps a fair shake from the refs but hey! that's how it goes.  

I would hope we give him our support because the second half of the schedule will be challenging to say the least. I guess we will have to wait until next year to fix the oline but  please Mr. O how about Hunt & Matthews? 

I am still an O'Shea supporter, but it would be encouraging for him to state publicly that a) our run defence is inadequate when it matters and  we can't run       the ball worth poop when it counts and further, that he and Walters are going to make some changes. O'Shea is a player's coach, I understand that, but it is close to insulting the fans for him to pretend that it will take just a couple of coaching sessions to correct these issues. This season is not about making a run for the cup, it is about improvement, and we have suffered long enough with comfortable mediocrity from the team.

I am still an O'Shea supporter, but it would be encouraging for him to state publicly that a) our run defence is inadequate when it matters and  we can't run       the ball worth poop when it counts and further, that he and Walters are going to make some changes. O'Shea is a player's coach, I understand that, but it is close to insulting the fans for him to pretend that it will take just a couple of coaching sessions to correct these issues. This season is not about making a run for the cup, it is about improvement, and we have suffered long enough with comfortable mediocrity from the team.

For what it's worth here is O'Shea's statement.  If his record was 2-8 he might come off sounding similar to Mike Kelly. :mellow:

The Riders finished with 160 yards along the ground against the Bombers, giving them a two-game rushing total of 346.

"I’m sure that people aren’t going to agree with me, but I’m not concerned about it," said Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea about the team’s run defence.

"No, I’m not."

Asked to explain, he added:

"Because we’re here and we’re in the game and I understand what’s going on more than what people see on film. That’s it. I’m not worried about it."

I am still an O'Shea supporter, but it would be encouraging for him to state publicly that a) our run defence is inadequate when it matters and we can't run the ball worth poop when it counts and further, that he and Walters are going to make some changes. O'Shea is a player's coach, I understand that, but it is close to insulting the fans for him to pretend that it will take just a couple of coaching sessions to correct these issues. This season is not about making a run for the cup, it is about improvement, and we have suffered long enough with comfortable mediocrity from the team.

For what it's worth here is O'Shea's statement. If his record was 2-8 he might come off sounding similar to Mike Kelly. :mellow:

The Riders finished with 160 yards along the ground against the Bombers, giving them a two-game rushing total of 346.

"I’m sure that people aren’t going to agree with me, but I’m not concerned about it," said Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea about the team’s run defence.

"No, I’m not."

Asked to explain, he added:

"Because we’re here and we’re in the game and I understand what’s going on more than what people see onon film. That’s it. I’m not worried about it."

Former LB, played very cerebral and knows his DC very well.. Why would we assume he is putting up a smoke screen or lying?

So, the blame would be on the offensive then with you? Yeah, right. Why aren't you blaming Etch & his defense then who couldn't stop the Riders on their final drive from scoring a touchdown then? 

anyone who has called O'Shea a "coward" is completely classless and ignorant.... after the HCs we've seen here over the past, even five years... give your head a shake... he made the low risk call, not the cowardly call...

If the Bombers would have gone for it and got stuffed people would be screaming for his head. It was a full yard which is far from a gimme.

anyone who has called O'Shea a "coward" is completely classless and ignorant.... after the HCs we've seen here over the past, even five years... give your head a shake... he made the low risk call, not the cowardly call...

If the Bombers would have gone for it and got stuffed people would be screaming for his head. It was a full yard which is far from a gimme.

I'm okay with O'Shea's decision, but on TSN it looked like it was definitely less than a yard. 

I'm okay with O'Shea's decision, but on TSN it looked like it was definitely less than a yard.

To me anything within a yard the team should go for it every time. I'll have to see the spot again.

To me anything within a yard the team should go for it every time. I'll have to see the spot again.

The refs showed the exact distance on the chains.  Definitely less than a yard.

The refs showed the exact distance on the chains.  Definitely less than a yard.

Just looked at. Pretty much exactly a yard. Tough decision either way.

It was definitely less than a yard - but not that much less. That said, a difficult decision that has to be made instantaneously - with Lirjam he knew a 40 yd FG was prolly 90% or better..... with a deficient o-line pitted up against sask's monster d (with elephants added) I suspect gaining 2 and a half feet was no better than 50%.

If you get stiffed at the Sask. 34 I don't think Sask. takes the same chances with a 1 point lead as they do being 2 down.

Essentially, Sask. burned out the clock (all 3 minutes on the bombers via their ground game, our d-line was gassed and our guys were getting shoved around by monsters like Labatte, Heenan, Fulton, Picard, Clark.

O'Shea made a calculated risk-reward situation. He balanced off the fact his o-line probably couldn't produce a full yard on 3rd down (remember we lost Grigsby just before that, too) and he knew his wobbly defense was gonna be in for a tough go once Messam, Allen and their road graders were shoving our d around. The only thing that gave us a chance was Allen actually erred on that great ground spin move to our endzone - he gave us nearly 30 seconds to go full field vs. dropping down and draining the clock, kicking the winning field goal with no time left. . . . in the end Sask. was able to control the line of scrimmage when it counted and O'Shea was trying like the dickens to plot against that factor. Hard to plot against power!

now stop for a second, go back and read what you wrote there and maybe you'll understand the other side of the argument. In the situation that plays out the blame shifts from O'Shea to the defense! Once you stand up, remove your head from your ass maybe you'll see the big picture. 

No matter what you call you have to execute it. 

I prefer to play to win rather than not to lose.

The problem I have with the call is that it just seems like O'Shea wasn't reading the game well. Yes, he's called for punts with the Bombers deep in their own end in other games but in those games the defence was shutting the opposition down, not getting run over like they were that game (and the one before). Yes, the Bombers have struggled in short yardage in other games but they had been doing very well all that game. Based on how the game was going I still think the low-risk call was gambling, not expecting the defence the stop an offence whose strength plays to the Bomber's weakness.

The call makes a little more sense, though I still don't agree with it, if it put the Riders in a position to have to score a touchdown to win but all they needed was a field goal. Based on the evidence staring him in the face, I just don't see how O'Shea expects the Riders not to move the ball enough for at least a field goal.

Which is fair enough but it was pretty much a full yard and it would have probably been an even split amongst how coaches would have made that call.

Which is fair enough but it was pretty much a full yard and it would have probably been an even split amongst how coaches would have made that call.

Not that the yellow line is a perfect system but if it's at all accurate then the ball should have been spotted about 18 inches from the first down marker.  I thought it looked like the Bombers got a pretty stingy spot.  He was short, but not nearly the yard short they spotted him.  And as I understand the rules that spot is not challengeable - the Bombers would lose the challenge as it wasn't a first down and the rules make no provisions for placing the ball a foot and a half closer to the line to gain just to make a 3rd down attempt easier.  As I understand that rule.

Would I have gone for it?  Probably.  The decision becomes a lot easier if the ball is spotted correctly (thankfully there are no other reffing related complaints that we can point to),  But taking the points that give us the lead in a tightly fought game when there is under 3 minutes left on the clock?  That's never the wrong decision.  That's a decision that doesn't always pay off.