MB's play calling

BigBlue

From CJOB post game approx 27 minutes in:

Irving: Was that your read on the play?

Willy: I was looking to Denny in the corner and Grigsby was in the flat, I didn't think any of them were really open. So I just wanted to give them a shot to make a play.

Irving: The pass was a bit of a prayer was it?

Willy: Basically, wasn't too skillful. There wasn't much there so I decided to give our guys a chance.

There was no mention of Willy being aware of the Hammie penalty one way or the other,

Even with the original play call I don't recall the Bombers successfully executing the throw into the corner this year although I know they've tried it numerous times.  Seems to me a long throw in confined space is usually a bad idea, especiallly when it's a rainbow.  Grigsby was a good choice as the receiver as the Ti-Cats were probably all over Kelly and Denmark but he's the wrong choice if you expect him to fight for a ball.  In his own words he was scared to jump for it but luckily the pass landed right in his hands.

The 'deep' receiver ran the wrong pattern and brought their defender into the play.  We were lucky to get away with it.  Low % play call + wrong route usually doesn't equal success, but it did last night.  We also got a new terminology... The 2 yard hail Mary.

Is it really that low percentage though? RB on a linebacker or DL and just lob it over the coverage... Khari Jones put a lot of tds on the board just by putting the ball up and letting guys make a play on it why shouldn't Willy?

Yah, it is a low %.  Most of the time, you'll get a LB on the RB, not a DE.  The additional speed and cover ability, quickly turns that TD into a knock down and a win to a loss.  

Most of the time, when 2 receivers are in the same spot, the ball isn't completed.

By that logic any play is a low % play call because you clearly expect the coverage to never get beaten and to make plays to knock the ball down. What I saw happen was the qb saw his RB beat his coverage badly so he dropped the ball over top of the coverage. Seems to me that's what good qbs do to make plays. Throw the ball where the receiver can catch it and the defender can't. That Denmark brought his route too close to the play is nothing to do with the play call. 

The 'deep' receiver ran the wrong pattern and brought their defender into the play.  We were lucky to get away with it.  Low % play call + wrong route usually doesn't equal success, but it did last night.  We also got a new terminology... The 2 yard hail Mary.

Denmark's route was to the corner of the endzone. He came back b/c the ball was thrown so high. The throw to Grigsby was supposed to be right to him, but the Ticat defender was between he & Willy so he had to throw it high. Willy threw it like that in the hope either Denmark or Grigsby could win a jump ball.

All of this came from Willy himself.

Is it really that low percentage though? RB on a linebacker or DL and just lob it over the coverage... Khari Jones put a lot of tds on the board just by putting the ball up and letting guys make a play on it why shouldn't Willy?

Yah, it is a low %.  Most of the time, you'll get a LB on the RB, not a DE.  The additional speed and cover ability, quickly turns that TD into a knock down and a win to a loss.  

Most of the time, when 2 receivers are in the same spot, the ball isn't completed.

By that logic any play is a low % play call because you clearly expect the coverage to never get beaten and to make plays to knock the ball down. What I saw happen was the qb saw his RB beat his coverage badly so he dropped the ball over top of the coverage. Seems to me that's what good qbs do to make plays. Throw the ball where the receiver can catch it and the defender can't. That Denmark brought his route too close to the play is nothing to do with the play call. 

It was a low % play that worked.  That doesn't turn it into a high % play or a good play call.

Willy made a great throw.  That doesn't turn it into a high % play or a good play call.

Denmark running a bad route doesn't have anything to do with if it's a good play call or not, but it does greatly reduce the chances of success.

It was a low % play that worked.  That doesn't turn it into a high % play or a good play call.

Willy made a great throw.  That doesn't turn it into a high % play or a good play call.

Denmark running a bad route doesn't have anything to do with if it's a good play call or not, but it does greatly reduce the chances of success.

Why oh why must you always be so argumentative? It is no more of a low % percentage play than many others in a game!

Really like what I am seeing from Willy but he does need to work on his endzone touch...  he has narrowly missed TDs to Moore, Kelly and Denmark in the corners.   Once he works that kink out, this is a very scary offence.

Still not a fan of using double TEs as much as MB does.... teams just load the box and drop their DBs - Willy has more time and no one to throw to, no where to go.

...and I am actually less of a Grigsby fan after this game - aside from a couple plays (including the last one), his rub blocks were, well, non-existent - he's going to get Willy killed.

I do like the fact that while some receivers do have good games that we are not keying in on one player per game like Crowton did

Even with the original play call I don't recall the Bombers successfully executing the throw into the corner this year although I know they've tried it numerous times.

Watson caught a TD on a corner route during Game 1 vs. Toronto. It's the only endzone corner we've hit all year, I think we've tried it three or four times since, mostly with Denmark.

All that really matters is that they executed and made the play.  How many "high percentage" plays did we not make last year?

This team is believing in itself and making things happen.  Yeah they had a let down in the 2nd half, but came back when it mattered.  

Would the same people bitching about the play call be happy and singing the praises if they had called a "high percentage" play and missed on it?

Willy put that ball exactly where he had to.  Give him props for doing it and Grigsby catching it.  They made the play what it mattered most.

Amen!

Really like what I am seeing from Willy but he does need to work on his endzone touch...  he has narrowly missed TDs to Moore, Kelly and Denmark in the corners.   Once he works that kink out, this is a very scary offence.

Still not a fan of using double TEs as much as MB does.... teams just load the box and drop their DBs - Willy has more time and no one to throw to, no where to go.

...and I am actually less of a Grigsby fan after this game - aside from a couple plays (including the last one), his rub blocks were, well, non-existent - he's going to get Willy killed.

I do like the fact that while some receivers do have good games that we are not keying in on one player per game like Crowton did

I don't remember seeing Willy get hit once during the game, or even run for his life much at all.  Would you prefer we just have Pontbriand start at RB? He's probably a great blocker, if you want to sacrifice the 120 yards and game winning TD Grigsby got us.

Amen!

I don't remember seeing Willy get hit once during the game, or even run for his life much at all.  Would you prefer we just have Pontbriand start at RB? He's probably a great blocker, if you want to sacrifice the 120 yards and game winning TD Grigsby got us.

You don't remember when Willy got nailed by three Hammy rushers and stayed on the ground for a few seconds??? I thought that play was pretty critical... he got up holding his left forearm... I was starting to get nervous thinking we might get our first taste of Brohm..

There are those who are bitching about bitching about the play, but no one's actually bitching about the play in the first place.  Great play.  Great throw.  Got us the win.  Doesn't mean it was a good call.

What would have been a good play call then? Going into the  middle of the field where 3/4 of the ticats defenders are? Trying to run the ball when we have no success doing that? The fact that Willy dropped the ball in where only Grigsby had a chance at it and the fact that Grigsby beat his coverage so badly means that the play call was in fact a good one! Every ******* offensive play requires players to do their jobs and not make mistakes, what makes this one any different? Thee fact that you hate rainbows? There''s a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow. 

It was fun every time people would start moaning about Grigsby in the chat room he would rip off a big play. Interesting thought that was brought up on the site twitter page is moving Grigsby to the slot and have him operate much like Durie with the Argos. I think he has the skill set to be very successful in that role. Would need a line up structure like last nights to pull it off.

Re-watched this play numerous times on CFL.ca and saw a few things.

-Willy was out of time.  He had a rusher coming from his right that was within a foot of him when he released the ball.

-Pontbriand or whoever was on the right end of the line was tag teaming to his inside so he missed that rusher.

-Grigsby was being covered by a D-Lineman that was late to arrive, it's clear Willy had to get it up and over this player who was running with his hands in the air so it was a very good throw.

-The greatest threat to the reception was the man covering Denmark, if he would have been watching the QB more closely he would have seen the ball coming and perhaps fought to it. If Denmark would have taken his man to the corner there would have been a lot more space around Grigsby and less risk of a knock down.

-Best of all, it worked!

It was fun every time people would start moaning about Grigsby in the chat room he would rip off a big play. Interesting thought that was brought up on the site twitter page is moving Grigsby to the slot and have him operate much like Durie with the Argos. I think he has the skill set to be very successful in that role. Would need a line up structure like last nights to pull it off.

Agree - surprising but after this game, I am actually less of a fan of Grigsby than I had been.  Felt like any advances he made in his all-around game were forgotten once his number started getting called

Yes.

Otherwise teams would always pass on second and 2 vs running the ball.

Why oh why must you always be so argumentative? It is no more of a low % percentage play than many others in a game!

Cause one of them is talking out of his ass.. And in this case it isn't tburgess.