MB's play calling

BigBlue

The 'deep' receiver ran the wrong pattern and brought their defender into the play.  We were lucky to get away with it.  Low % play call + wrong route usually doesn't equal success, but it did last night.  We also got a new terminology... The 2 yard hail Mary.

Is it really that low percentage though? RB on a linebacker or DL and just lob it over the coverage... Khari Jones put a lot of tds on the board just by putting the ball up and letting guys make a play on it why shouldn't Willy?

Yes.

Otherwise teams would always pass on second and 2 vs running the ball.

running on 2nd and 2 has been the ultimate low percentage play for the Bombers for the past 4 years or so. 

Bombers at least, made more of an effort to get Grigsby some space.   The reality is, that we simply don't have enough push from the interior of the OL, to slam it inside.  We have been the worst team on 2nd and 2 or 3 or 4, and other short yd situations, for some time.  Grigsby needs some track, and can hit the gearshift....but is not going to find much too often in the A/B gaps.  Cotton might be more adept at moving a pile, but hard to sit down Grigsby, right now.....

The 'deep' receiver ran the wrong pattern and brought their defender into the play.  We were lucky to get away with it.  Low % play call + wrong route usually doesn't equal success, but it did last night.  We also got a new terminology... The 2 yard hail Mary.

Is it really that low percentage though? RB on a linebacker or DL and just lob it over the coverage... Khari Jones put a lot of tds on the board just by putting the ball up and letting guys make a play on it why shouldn't Willy?

Yah, it is a low %.  Most of the time, you'll get a LB on the RB, not a DE.  The additional speed and cover ability, quickly turns that TD into a knock down and a win to a loss.  

Most of the time, when 2 receivers are in the same spot, the ball isn't completed.

By that logic any play is a low % play call because you clearly expect the coverage to never get beaten and to make plays to knock the ball down. What I saw happen was the qb saw his RB beat his coverage badly so he dropped the ball over top of the coverage. Seems to me that's what good qbs do to make plays. Throw the ball where the receiver can catch it and the defender can't. That Denmark brought his route too close to the play is nothing to do with the play call. 

You are right in the bolded part.. But the rest is all wrong. You are either arguing just for shits and giggles are you aren't able to listen to what others including the qb are saying.

Play was to go to denmark, but he wasn't open, SO HE THREW IT UP AND HOPPED SOMEONE WOULD COME DOWN WITH IT.  He didn't plan to throw it to grisby, He didn't try to get it grisby as he had beat the defender, he threw it up in the area the recievers were.

Watch the highlights.. he lobbed it up.. much like we did when we were kids playing " 500" where you throw the ball up and call a number of points the throw is worth.. Get enough points, your turn to throw.

Listen to what Willy said.

From CJOB post game approx 27 minutes in:

Irving: Was that your read on the play?

Willy: I was looking to Denny in the corner and Grigsby was in the flat, I didn't think any of them were really open. So I just wanted to give them a shot to make a play.

Irving: The pass was a bit of a prayer was it?

Willy: Basically, wasn't too skillful. There wasn't much there so I decided to give our guys a chance.

There are those who are bitching about bitching about the play, but no one's actually bitching about the play in the first place.  Great play.  Great throw.  Got us the win.  Doesn't mean it was a good call.

What would have been a good play call then? Going into the  middle of the field where 3/4 of the ticats defenders are? Trying to run the ball when we have no success doing that? The fact that Willy dropped the ball in where only Grigsby had a chance at it and the fact that Grigsby beat his coverage so badly means that the play call was in fact a good one! Every ******* offensive play requires players to do their jobs and not make mistakes, what makes this one any different? Thee fact that you hate rainbows? There''s a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow. 

but he didnt do any of that.

No one was open so he threw it up.. It just happened that where it came down, grisby had some space on the defender.

he threw it up for grabs.

His words..

We won.. YAY!!!!

Play called was NOT to THROW IT UP.

It was to go to denmark or grisby in the flats..There were both covered so he threw it up and we won.

Bombers at least, made more of an effort to get Grigsby some space.   The reality is, that we simply don't have enough push from the interior of the OL, to slam it inside.  We have been the worst team on 2nd and 2 or 3 or 4, and other short yd situations, for some time.  Grigsby needs some track, and can hit the gearshift....but is not going to find much too often in the A/B gaps.  Cotton might be more adept at moving a pile, but hard to sit down Grigsby, right now.....

Come October/November we better hope they have it figured out.

Yah, it is a low %.  Most of the time, you'll get a LB on the RB, not a DE.  The additional speed and cover ability, quickly turns that TD into a knock down and a win to a loss.  

Most of the time, when 2 receivers are in the same spot, the ball isn't completed.

By that logic any play is a low % play call because you clearly expect the coverage to never get beaten and to make plays to knock the ball down. What I saw happen was the qb saw his RB beat his coverage badly so he dropped the ball over top of the coverage. Seems to me that's what good qbs do to make plays. Throw the ball where the receiver can catch it and the defender can't. That Denmark brought his route too close to the play is nothing to do with the play call. 

You are right in the bolded part.. But the rest is all wrong. You are either arguing just for shits and giggles are you aren't able to listen to what others including the qb are saying.

Play was to go to denmark, but he wasn't open, SO HE THREW IT UP AND HOPPED SOMEONE WOULD COME DOWN WITH IT.  He didn't plan to throw it to grisby, He didn't try to get it grisby as he had beat the defender, he threw it up in the area the recievers were.

Watch the highlights.. he lobbed it up.. much like we did when we were kids playing " 500" where you throw the ball up and call a number of points the throw is worth.. Get enough points, your turn to throw.

Listen to what Willy said.

From CJOB post game approx 27 minutes in:

Irving: Was that your read on the play?

Willy: I was looking to Denny in the corner and Grigsby was in the flat, I didn't think any of them were really open. So I just wanted to give them a shot to make a play.

Irving: The pass was a bit of a prayer was it?

Willy: Basically, wasn't too skillful. There wasn't much there so I decided to give our guys a chance.

You think there was only one option on the play? He said he looked to Denmark was he wasn't open, so he saw Grigsby in the flat but couldn't throw it directly at him, the DL was in the way so he threw it up cause he had to get the ball out, he knew he had guys there, he put it in a place that dropped over the DLs head into Grigsby arms... now what makes more sense, he just tossed a prayer that happened to work out or he's just being humble in his post game interviews? He knew where Grigsby was, he knew where Denmark was, he knew where the guys covering them were, he dropped the ball into Grigsbys hands.... Sounds to me like a qb who knew exactly what he was doing. Like I said in an earlier post, Khari Jones put up a lot of touchdowns by trusting his receivers to make a play on the ball. It's not a low % play call, it's a pretty solid play call. Let's be perfectly honest here, if Denmark takes his route deep into the corner of the endzone the pass is basically a wide open Grigsby catching a ball and everyone is hanging off Bellefeuilles nuts for a brilliant play. But as soon as it was a high throw Denmark and the guy covering came back and it looked a lot more dangerous than it was. 

There are those who are bitching about bitching about the play, but no one's actually bitching about the play in the first place.  Great play.  Great throw.  Got us the win.  Doesn't mean it was a good call.

How do you know Grigsby was Willy's first read on the play?  When exactly is sending your RB out to the flats a bad call?

How do you know Grigsby was Willy's first read on the play?  When exactly is sending your RB out to the flats a bad call?

...on a D-Lineman...

...on a D-Lineman...

yeah! getting your RB matched up against a DL seems like one giant win for your offensive coordinator.....

willy himself said he saw denny (denmark) in the flat and also saw grigsby open also. 

I'd say Denmark was his first read.. no need to ***** about a playcall though considering none of us have any clue what was actually called. 

Just want to add, we are 5-1, it's been a third of the season, who the hell predicted us to be 5-1 anyway. Nobody. Enjoy it. Yeah we can talk about things but.. 5-1 is 5-1. Nobody expected it, hell most of the posters on these forums never thought we'd win 5 games all year. No faith from some folks at all.

Was at my lake today and yesterday and the last couple days, went to the restaurant, guy was reading the sports page... his buddies were like damn bombers are 5-1, none of us saw that coming, dude was like yeah true but woods needs to do more. Seriously, just bitching for the sake of it. 

It was fun every time people would start moaning about Grigsby in the chat room he would rip off a big play. Interesting thought that was brought up on the site twitter page is moving Grigsby to the slot and have him operate much like Durie with the Argos. I think he has the skill set to be very successful in that role. Would need a line up structure like last nights to pull it off.

I had said we should move him to a receiver position. He's doing good as a receiver but he still sucks at being a RB. That's what I was saying in chat. Put Cottonball in at RB.

A bit off topic but how did the Bombers jig the ratio to get both Grigsby and Cotton on the field at the same time?  I'd give my left nut to have a combo. like Harris and Logan.  Even playing behind an O-Line with 2 raw rookies they were blowing through the Stamps D-Line gaining first downs with almost every carry.

A bit off topic but how did the Bombers jig the ratio to get both Grigsby and Cotton on the field at the same time?  I'd give my left nut to have a combo. like Harris and Logan.  Even playing behind an O-Line with 2 raw rookies they were blowing through the Stamps D-Line gaining first downs with almost every carry.

The most logical explanation is they took an american receiver off since you know, to get another offensive weapon on you need to take one out. 

Watching that play again, I like that they didn't roll Willy out.  For one, you cut off an entire half to 3/4 of the field by doing that, plus you also give defenders better access to disrupt the passing lanes.  Westwood was yelling about that on the radio yesterday, why didn't they roll Willy out, but didn't seem to put any thought into the pros and cons of that in terms of passing the ball.  If Lefevour was our QB, I'd probably roll out.

Looked like they were matching Hamilton in the box, Bryant and Feoli-Gudino came up to the line on the right side to block as Hamilton overloaded the weak-side opposite Grigsby's alignment, clearly defending any off-tackle or sweep type running play.  3 guys in the route, Willy can read all of them from the pocket.  Kelly and Denmark run a post corner, Kelly is covered coming into the middle of the field, where more bodies are, not an option, Denmark is covered on his corner, Grigsby is in the clear but the DE who is covering him is chasing wildly and in the passing lane.  Willy makes an amazing adjustment and throw to lead Grigsby into open space and drop it in on him.

Only thing I didn't like about that play was the line call.  Slide protect left/strong when Hamilton has the offensive right/weak-side overloaded in case the Bombers try to run Grigsby off tackle.  January, Greaves and Morley all ended up blocking the same guy when 2 Ticats from the right side of the line (essentially Willy's blindside with the route going to the left side of the field) came through as Bryant and Feoli-Gudino ended up blocking them 2 on 3.  January, Greaves and Morley would have still been 3 on 2 had Gascon-Nadon not bailed into coverage.

Watching that play again, I like that they didn't roll Willy out.  For one, you cut off an entire half to 3/4 of the field by doing that, plus you also give defenders better access to disrupt the passing lanes.  Westwood was yelling about that on the radio yesterday, why didn't they roll Willy out, but didn't seem to put any thought into the pros and cons of that in terms of passing the ball.  If Lefevour was our QB, I'd probably roll out.

Looked like they were matching Hamilton in the box, Bryant and Feoli-Gudino came up to the line on the right side to block as Hamilton overloaded the weak-side opposite Grigsby's alignment, clearly defending any off-tackle or sweep type running play.  3 guys in the route, Willy can read all of them from the pocket.  Kelly and Denmark run a post corner, Kelly is covered coming into the middle of the field, where more bodies are, not an option, Denmark is covered on his corner, Grigsby is in the clear but the DE who is covering him is chasing wildly and in the passing lane.  Willy makes an amazing adjustment and throw to lead Grigsby into open space and drop it in on him.

Only thing I didn't like about that play was the line call.  Slide protect left/strong when Hamilton has the offensive right/weak-side overloaded in case the Bombers try to run Grigsby off tackle.  January, Greaves and Morley all ended up blocking the same guy when 2 Ticats from the right side of the line (essentially Willy's blindside with the route going to the left side of the field) came through as Bryant and Feoli-Gudino ended up blocking them 2 on 3.  January, Greaves and Morley would have still been 3 on 2 had Gascon-Nadon not bailed into coverage.

One question - is that an adjustment that the Centre or whoever is leading the OL can make on the field?  Or is it pretty much set once its called in from the sidelines

The most logical explanation is they took an american receiver off since you know, to get another offensive weapon on you need to take one out. 

Thanks, but looking for a more specific answer as in which receiver they removed?  My guess is Bryant.