Goltz Named Starter For Rest Of Season

Atomic

I said he has shown "flashes" and was asked to justify that.  He also moved the ball before being injured.

OK, he had one very good quarter of football. 

Not good enough in a 4-quarter game.  And definitely not good enough considering that he has played approximately 15 quarters.  I may be a number or two off on that, so please don't attack the minute details.  1 good quarter out of 13, is no better than 1 good quarter in 15.

I have high hopes that he can accept the new role and make a contribution to the team. Think he has some valuable football knowledge and I'm hoping that translates to some offensive success...

...or he could mope.

Either way, could it be much worse than what we've already seen?

Buck's lucky this team thinks enough of him to keep him around. Any other CFL team & he'd have been gone & out of football by now. The team has shown a lot of (misguided) loyalty to the guy over the years with his chronic injuries. He needs to keep his feelings to himself & help out wherever he can as there's not a lot of sympathy out there for a cry baby. Or if he can't do that then he should simply retire & leave.

Buck needs to call Kerry Joseph on how handle this with a little more grace.

Get real. If a guy was happy being 2nd string, we'd all say to cut him, he lacks drive and fire. Now a guy says he wants to start and he's not a team player? Give me a break. It's funny how people are ignoring quotes such as:

"It’s my job to stay positive with the guys and help and I’ve always done that in my career and I’ve always been positive in adverse situations. It doesn’t mean that I agree with the decision, because I don’t. But I want this team to win and I want to help these guys along."

Yeah...what a cancer in the room like a lot are making him out to be.

Buck's lucky this team thinks enough of him to keep him around. Any other CFL team & he'd have been gone & out of football by now. The team has shown a lot of (misguided) loyalty to the guy over the years with his chronic injuries. He needs to keep his feelings to himself & help out wherever he can as there's not a lot of sympathy out there for a cry baby. Or if he can't do that then he should simply retire & leave.

If this was Dave Ritchie he would of been Kerwin Bell'ed. Walking papers and a thanks for coming out.

I know you're a big Buck guy, but I don't think he deserves a parade for anything. If anything, his selfishness has contributed negatively to this team over the past two years.

I wouldn't say a guy is selfish for putting his body on the line every week.  We surrounded him with a terrible team.

Give Buck a few days to cool off.  He's a warrior, proud and chances are the situation wasn't fully explained to him.  And it wouldnt surprise me if he had been told all along he was the man.

Just last week:

Reporter:  Does Goltz have the opportunity to become the starter?

Burke: Maybe.

Yeah I'm sure he had no inkling.

Mr. Perfect, the Bombers have given Buck every chance to be the long term starter. Too many injuries. Like I said before, how could he not see this coming? Only he didn't see the writing on the wall, it seems which tells me he's out of touch with reality. His comments about being upset didn't help. No one says he is now a cancer. But he should keep his true feelings out of the media out of respect to the Bombers & the loyalty shown to him by the team since he first arrived here.

Give Buck a few days to cool off.  He's a warrior, proud and chances are the situation wasn't fully explained to him.  And it wouldnt surprise me if he had been told all along he was the man.

He was told about the demotion a few days ago... the game planning part seems to have been sprung on him today though.

In Pierce's last 18 games (so a full season of appearances) here are his numbers:

And let's not discount the fact that we have to go all the way back to September of 2011 to total up 18 appearances.

240/395 (60.7%) for 3125 yards, 9 TD and 21 INT

In the same time frame (for fair comparison) here are the combined numbers of every other Bomber QB

394/662 (59.5%) for 4638 yards, 19 TD and 23 INT

For the record, here are some more numbers to chew on over that time frame.

Pierce is throwing an INT every 18.8 passes, while the other QBs averaged an INT every 28.7 passes

Pierce averaged 7.95 passing yards per attempt, while the other QBs averaged 7 passing yards per attempt.

Pierce averaged a TD pass every 43.8 (!!!) passes, while the other QBs averaged a TD pass every 34.8 (still horrible)

In that time frame, Pierce had one 300 yard passing game and three games where he threw more touchdowns than interceptions. That is absolutely horrible. In comparison, the other QBs we've trotted out have pieced together five 300 yard games (including a 400 yard game) and eleven games with more passing touchdowns than interceptions.

The last time Buck Pierce had a game with 2+ TD and 0 INT? August 26, 2011. He's only done it three times in four years with the Bombers. Joey Elliott and Alex Brink matched that number in 2012 combined.

I just hope they give Goltz a fair chance here. I don't wanna see any Mike Kelly style handling of the new qb here. If Goltz is the guy don't yank him at the first sign of trouble and go to the next guy and the next guy and the next guy. 

We don't have a next next guy...

Pierce said he was told of the decision a couple of days ago, but when he was asked about involvement with the game-planning today, added this:

"I’m in shape to play right now. Nothing was ever spoken to me about bringing young guys along right now and helping in that aspect. That was never talked to me about it."

I find this very interesting.

If he knew about the decision ... why didn't he understand what the role was? Is he clueless? Does he not understand the duties of a veteran third-string quarterback?

Buck's demotion isnt about injuries.  Sure, he had that abdomen injury but he dressed the following week.  Goltz got hurt his first start.  This about playing ability and I agree Buck has not played up to snuff but this team has been flat lousy around him too.

What was that stat with Buck before this season, team was 13-3 with him finishing a game.  He was a winner.  And when they lost it wasnt because he crapped the bed, its because they're a bad team.

This might provide some consistency but we still have a bad O line, bad OC, bad DB's, lack of maturity and leadership, a rookie head coach, a rookie CEO and a GM that knows he's gone by the end of the season if not next week.