Goltz Named Starter For Rest Of Season

Atomic

**** the purse strings must be tight in this organization to have to transition a player into coaching instead of just hiring one to begin with. At least it is a good move even if it reeks of thrifty.

Don't know what you mean...fans have been calling for this exact move since the end of last year.

That must mean we all fit thrift...to a tee.

So get rid of him right now.

This is the **** I'm talking about. What a clown.

Maybe if he wanted to play QB he should stop getting hurt and start actually doing something with the football.

Yes because one chooses if they would like to be hurt or not. Brilliant! No one will be doing anything as long as Crowton as the OC, and the only time our QB's looked half decent under him was when Buck was practically holding his hand through playcalling.

That's more reasonable and I can agree with that.  For example...

#Bombers QB Buck Pierce just spoke to media: he's angry, frustrated; says he wasn't told he would groom young QBs. Wants to play #bn

Maybe if he wanted to play QB he should stop getting hurt and start actually doing something with the football.

My only question is whether this is a function of Buck's self-serving attitude, or Mack/Burke not being forthright with him on what his demotion would entail. 

Buck going to the media angry like this speaks to it possibly being column B... sprinkled with a heaping dash of column A. 

Yes because one chooses if they would like to be hurt or not. Brilliant! No one will be doing anything as long as Crowton as the OC, and the only time our QB's looked half decent under him was when Buck was practically holding his hand through playcalling.

He is a terrible quarterback.

He was averaging two first downs a possession roughly 11% of the time this year. Goltz is up around 40% of the time, which is around the league average.

He hasn't been any good since the 2011 Banjo Bowl when he threw 5 picks and his stats back that up. Almost everyone who has watched him play the past two years, whether it be under LaPolice or Crowton, knows that he is toast.

Now he's coming out into the public eye and bitching about how we're treating him?

I say GTFO Buck.

I agree with you, but also why didn't Burke and Crowton talk to him before they made the announcement.

Everything gets turned into a circus it seems.

While we're at it, can we promote Swiston and "transition" Morley into an OL special assistant, not tell him about it, and have him ***** to the media?  If we're going to put a QB in that might give us a better chance to win... might as well replace the CFL's worst guard and give a young guy a shot at keeping Goltz off his backside.  Nowhere to go but up...

I don't get all the Buck worshipping, his play was substandard and this year he was not a huge team player. Remember his post game interview where he blamed mostly the team and receivers and only took a slight bit of accountability.

IMO him getting sacked a lot does not make him a legend...

Glenn accomplished way more then buck ever did.....

Uh oh

So now Buck has come out and is "angry, frustrated" and has suggestd he might be playing for another team by September.

Doesn't sound like the "he took it very positively" that Burke said this morning. What in the blue hell is going on with this franchise.

Buck also said he didnt know he'd be grooming young QB's. I wonder, does he mean he didnt expect that coming into the season and now to justify this change, the management have said "well come on Buck, we always intended for you to groom these young guys" or he meant it was not expressed to him this morning?

The one thing I can say is, a hungry Buck is likely not a bad thing. He will push Goltz. But I hope he embraces his new role and helps Crowton. Or not. I guess maybe its better for Crowton to just be canned.

it's entirely possible that Pierce misunderstood what was being asked of him. I would give him a couple days to calm down before putting too much stock into what he's saying. It is perfectly understandable to see a guy upset to lose his position. If he doesn't come to terms with it then we can get rid of him. 

If he was told before the season started that he was the #1 QB this season, I can see why he's angry.

Has he played great?  No.  But we know he *can* play great and he's shown flashes (albeit briefly) this season also.  If I'm him I'm saying "What more can I do?  You tell me I'm number 1, you dont do jack about the horrible O line, you have an idiot for O Co-Or, our plays are predictable, we've eliminated the run game and half my receivers have been injured this year".

I'm not saying we dont need an improvement at the QB position but it's not like Buck has had a great situation to work with here.  And if Goltz is able to do anything it will simply be because he can run away from all the trouble coming his way moreso than Buck.  But that doesnt mean our O line is suddenly better or the OC suddenly has a clue.

This situation is becoming another circus.  And Clown Shoe Butchko better his arms around it damn fast.

PS: Wish the government would beg True North to become the "operators" of the team and stadium.  Someone has to be truly accountable, not a board of dimwits.  You've got legit football people on that board, what are they doing to correct this?  The CEO is a glorified salesman.  The GM is a Dead Man Walking and he knows it.  The Head Coach is a brillient DC in way over his head this year and he has no help from his Coordinators.  What the hell is going on??

I really hope its a misunderstanding with Buck. 1. Because you would hope it would be communicated better. 2. Its a good transistion for him. His playing days are done, this is a nice start to a post football career.

As for him not being suited to be a QB Coach based on his play, Jarious Jackson and Marcus Brady are a QB coach and an OC respectively and Buck has had a better career than both. Milanovich was an excellent OC and is a pretty good coach and he was a 3rd string CFLer.

The one thing I can say is, a hungry Buck is likely not a bad thing. He will push Goltz. But I hope he embraces his new role and helps Crowton. Or not. I guess maybe its better for Crowton to just be canned.

Yeah, it's not like Buck Pierce is going to come back and haunt us in the near future.

It's a **** move to do this and not tell him.  But it had to be done and unless he's dumb as a post he had to have an inkling about this.

Count me in the group that doesn't want to see him pouting on the sidelines all season.  He's been adamant he wants to play and NOT coach though.

At least ISO can't complain we don't have a quarterback coach. We have an actual quarterback that will be coaching! ;)

I'll be totally happy when Buck doesn't dress for games & is on the sidelines coaching full time which means he never plays again. Until he takes his helmet off for good, he'll still find his way onto the field to play some way. Buck should be #3 helping both Goltz & Pierce develop.

If he was told before the season started that he was the #1 QB this season, I can see why he's angry.

Has he played great?  No.  But we know he *can* play great and he's shown flashes (albeit briefly) this season also.  If I'm him I'm saying "What more can I do?  You tell me I'm number 1, you dont do jack about the horrible O line, you have an idiot for O Co-Or, our plays are predictable, we've eliminated the run game and half my receivers have been injured this year".

I'm not saying we dont need an improvement at the QB position but it's not like Buck has had a great situation to work with here.  And if Goltz is able to do anything it will simply be because he can run away from all the trouble coming his way moreso than Buck.  But that doesnt mean our O line is suddenly better or the OC suddenly has a clue.

This situation is becoming another circus.  And Clown Shoe Butchko better his arms around it damn fast.

PS: Wish the government would beg True North to become the "operators" of the team and stadium.  Someone has to be truly accountable, not a board of dimwits.  You've got legit football people on that board, what are they doing to correct this?  The CEO is a glorified salesman.  The GM is a Dead Man Walking and he knows it.  The Head Coach is a brillient DC in way over his head this year and he has no help from his Coordinators.  What the hell is going on??

I think the past is clouding your judgement of the CFL's worst QB of 2013.  Behind backups such as Mitchell, Collaros, Willy, Goltz, and in the same sentence, Mike Reilly, a starter that hasn't played at that level this year.  At one point, Buck *could* play as you put it.  But if you could kindly show me the *flashes* you speak of... because I haven't seen them. 

The OL is bad, but Buck has hampered himself by staring down receivers and holding the ball too long, as a trend.  

I disagree with you on Goltz being able to do something only because he's more mobile.  You don't need to be more mobile to be an effective QB in the current Bomber offense.  You need to be decisive and deliberate with the football.  You need to have a couple of hot reads, and be capable of going to option #3 or just getting rid of the ball.  Shockingly, we've had slant routes over the middle open more often than not... Buck has just not looked there very often. Crowton's offence has actually opened up some receivers in space.  I'm not ready to write it off yet.

P.S.  There is no "t" in Buchko.

Release Buck then, if he is all confident he could be playing elsewhere.

Same thing happened earlier this season when he got hurt, undermining the coach's decision to start Goltz (runs to the media telling anyone/everyone who will listen that he is healthy enough to play).

Get a 3rd string QB in here who will support/mentor the new guys, tired of this my name is Buck and I am the starter, or I go and cry in the corner.

My response to that would be simple.

While the situation isn't ideal, less experienced quarterbacks (Brink, Elliott and Goltz) have ALL outperformed you with the same tools at their disposal.

Home opener, 3rd quarter, Buck played great.

Its a tough situation for Buck because unless he's ready to accept that his playing career is over (and more power to him if he thinks he can play, thats a personal decision or realization that every QB has to come to on their own), he's being honest in his answers.  Is he supposed to say "Yes Im too hurt to play, just like Coach says.  Yes, I'm thrilled to transition to coaching as my playing days are over, just like Coach says".  He's being honest about how he feels. 

We also dont know what he's been told.  Who's to say Mack or Burke didnt come to him last week and say "Buck we know you can play but you're banged up so lets give the kid a start.  Trust me, you're our number one guy all season."  And if he was told that (and surely he was told something), then today gives him every right to be angry.

I agree with you, but also why didn't Burke and Crowton talk to him before they made the announcement.

Everything gets turned into a circus it seems.

What do you expect? This team has been a clown show for years. It's like they make a decision, announce it, **** happens & then they go.... "Oh, never thought of that." Not the first time the Bombers (Burke) has screwed up. Anyone actually surprised that Buck wouldn't be told? As far as Buck is concerned being pissed off? Fella, c'mon. You HAD to know that this day was coming. How could you not?????? It seems everyone knew this would happen but you. The Bombers had to do this. It's the right thing to do.