According To Burke, Buck Is The Starter

yup. Beating the Bombers isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. And Toronto is really in tough if they have to now play the rest of the season without their gift from the league at QB.

he was getting some work on the sideline but didn't seem to be on the table for very long and was standing around after that so I would be surprised if he was very hurt.

yup.  Beating the Bombers isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.  And Toronto is really in tough if they have to now play the rest of the season without their gift from the league at QB.

think Ray was hurt that bad? i thought Kackert's looked worse. neither were taken to the locker room which i took as a promising sign. Ray seemed to be saying that he felt no pain to the trainer who was checking him out...

...even if he's OK though, i'd sit him against BC and play Collaros. that way he gets nearly 3 weeks off (with our bye next week).

Well If i recall correctly LAPO didn't want to fire Baressi nor did he want to bring in a dedicated OC as he wanted to continue calling the plays.  

Maybe i'm recalling incorrectly but that was the prevelant understanding on the other boards last year..

It was Lapo's decision to fire Barresi and Lapo chose Crowton. Barresi was really upset over his being fired and made the scapegoat by Lapo since he had little to no control over the offence. Personally I believe Lapo hired Crowton over a coach with CFL experience so he could keep his grip on the offence while Crowton was learning the league. This is certainly evidenced by the fact the offensive play book was part Lapo/part Crowton and the comments after Lapo was fired about the offence now having one voice.

It was Lapo's decision to fire Barresi and Lapo chose Crowton. Barresi was really upset over his being fired and made the scapegoat by Lapo since he had little to no control over the offence. Personally I believe Lapo hired Crowton over a coach with CFL experience so he could keep his grip on the offence while Crowton was learning the league. This is certainly evidenced by the fact the offensive play book was part Lapo/part Crowton and the comments after Lapo was fired about the offence now having one voice.

Now this I buy.  Makes total sense since LaPo was an Offensive control freak.

Buck may still be "the starter", but based on the way Burke was talking on the coach's show last night, I'm 99% sure Goltz will be starting Friday, and if he performs well he may keep the job.  This is just a hunch I have, and if Goltz doesn't perform Burke will put Buck back in when he's healthy while maintaining he never lost the starting job.  Burke kept using the phrase "at this point in time" when the Buck as a starter talk came up, which is the same thing he said about Brink when he was asked about Brink's future after Elliott got released.

He also said people shouldn't get too worked up about it and maybe wait to see how things play out.  Almost like he was hinting at the fact he's leaning towards going to Goltz but doesn't want to throw Buck under the bus in the media.

Buck may still be "the starter", but based on the way Burke was talking on the coach's show last night, I'm 99% sure Goltz will be starting Friday, and if he performs well he may keep the job.  This is just a hunch I have, and if Goltz doesn't perform Burke will put Buck back in when he's healthy while maintaining he never lost the starting job.  Burke kept using the phrase "at this point in time" when the Buck as a starter talk came up, which is the same thing he said about Brink when he was asked about Brink's future after Elliott got released.

He also said people shouldn't get too worked up about it and maybe wait to see how things play out.  Almost like he was hinting at the fact he's leaning towards going to Goltz but doesn't want to throw Buck under the bus in the media.

That'd be new.

I hope you're right, though.

Well they don't do a lot of things ;)

Didn't Burke call out Pierce as needed to improve after the (very short appearance) preseason game?

THE OLD BUCK: Burke wasn’t thrilled with the way starter Buck Pierce took off with the ball, and took a hit, on the first play.

“I wish he would have slid,” the coach said. “You guys know that’s Buck. He’s a competitor. And for years that was a big part of his game. But he could have ducked it upfield earlier and then slid, instead of taking it out on the perimeter so far.”

Pierce took another hit on a blitz that a receiver didn’t recognize.

“Everybody’s got to see the same thing,” Burke said. “If there’s a hot receiver, he’s got to see the blitz and run his hot route and the quarterback’s got to see it, and if one of them doesn’t then it’s a bad play.”

- From http://www.cfl.ca/article/irving-burke-bombers-working-the-pre-season-kinks-out

And knew he was struggling after the opener:

"He was rushing his reads more than anything else," Burke said right after the game. "If he'd have let the play develop we had guys wide open. The thing with Buck is, the first game he plays... he's going to be so gunned up, his adrenaline's going so hard he just speeds up his reads. He's not patient enough."

- From http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Winnipeg/2013/06/28/20938341.html

I don't know, I just don't get the feeling that so many here do that Burke is the one pulling for Buck. 

Burke has stuck his reutation & job on Pierce so why wouldn't he back him??? The way things are going with Mack, Burke & Pierce, it's gonna be a whole new organization next season. I just can't see this team getting any better. overall team speed is slow, qb situation is & will remain a struggle, crappy play calling & OL needs improvement. There's more hope on defense when the injured DL get back but they can't hold the team in there if we can't score.

Some of us....can peer into the future......

The Bomber Report - July 26, 2015:

In a surprising turn of events, it now appears that Buck Pierce, will be the starting quarterback on Tuesday night, against the Ottawa Red Blacks. According to Bomber head coach Casey Creehan:

"X-rays have clearly shown that Buck's leg fracture, has stabilized quite nicely"

Mind you, some Winnipeg fans may be a bit uneasy, after watching Pierce depart the stadium early last week, in a ambulance. But Creehan makes no bones about it:

"Buck is our quarterback, who knows our plan and just gives us the best chance to win"

Creehan added that:

"The shoulder is not an issue, as Buck has had a real good week of practice, throwing the ball, with his other hand."

As far as the game plan against Ottawa, In hope of kick starting the struggling (25 points in 4 games) Bomber Offensive Coordinator Kerwin Bell will look more closely at his package:

"We have to get rid of the junk." 

Why doesn't Burke call Marc Trestman in Chicago & ask for the Als playbook from last season & go from there??? I mean, anything beats what we're doing now. That playbook is GOLD!!!

I was under the impression that Crowton basically copied it all anyway and that Pierce was just incapable of of actually making the quick reads. He's never really been a cerebral player, always a guy who got by on his moxie. 

Heard Burke's comments today saying he was tired of answering questions from the media about who starts on Friday. My reaction to Burke's pissing about it is, Hey Tim, you hitched your coaching wagon to Buck so quit getting angry with the questions. You made the decision so frigging live with it, man up & answer the questions. Like, what does the guy expect? This is Buck Pierce.

lol, nobody has time to let the play develop behind our terrible oline.......just a thought genius, shorten up the routes and get rid of the ball quicker and you might have something.

I'm in the middle of watching the Tor. game and I'll tell you right now there are 2 instances that I can spot where the O-Line is doing their job and keeping the D-Line at bay...but Buck...looks underneath for the 5-yarder, on 2nd down, throws completions, but for short gains.

Now, I couldn't see if the other receivers were open further downfield but Buck had at least a few more seconds to look...but didn't.

And on that note, in the 1st half, the O-Line was blocking for a hole but Simpson chose to go outside, twice...to no avail.

I'm not going to go all out for the O-Line but sometimes they get the blame and it's misplaced.

for a hole but Simpson chose to go outside

Simpson is like night and day this year compared to last year, and I'm pretty sure the reason he was so emotional in his interview after last game is he likely just finished getting a lecture from his coach about shaping up or shipping out. Having said that, I expect a big game out of him next week, he'll be motivated now more than ever.

Simpson is like night and day this year compared to last year, and I'm pretty sure the reason he was so emotional in his interview after last game is he likely just finished getting a lecture from his coach about shaping up or shipping out. Having said that, I expect a big game out of him next week, he'll be motivated now more than ever.

He'll have a short career if Crowton keeps running him outside. He is a north south runner so use him that way. This offense is a career killer. If anyone has to ship up or shape up it's Crowton. It's just total stupidity.