Grocers and the Organic 'Revolution'

max power

First of all, I want to apologize for getting this thread so off topic…but there does seem to be some interest here for this. Perhaps we can move the se unrelated topics to another thread?

And I agree, no lectures, and it should work both ways.

But the only thing I would add is, consumers should just educate themselves on what they're ingesting and take it from there.

One common misconception is the belief that simply washing your foods will erase any memory of pesticides…that has been proven  false.

what about using that vegetable/fruit wash spray?  That's what I use - spray it on, rub it on the fruit or vegetable to get a lather going then wash it off with water.  Does that remove the pesticides?

The good news is it's always good to wash your fits and veggies and what your doing is superior to some methods. It real does depend on the food skin's thickness as to how much the pesticide infiltrates into the food. 

I mean avocados and bananas are fine (thick-skinned) But that makes sense though, right?

It's the thin skinned foods or close to the ground variety (potatoes) that are riskier .

Apples, cherries, nectarines, peaches, pears, strawberries, blueberries and veggies such as sweet bell peppers, celery, lettuce, spinach and potatoes are at risk.

Broccoli and peas are OK.

Info on these - http://www.nbcnews.com/id/37986527/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/it-worth-it-buy-organic/#.U2mH0sZbGZg

Going organic, or even local-grown, is not an easy decision, nor is it a cheap one, but it's a conscious one and each person has to justify to themselves which way they want to go…I'd certainly not tell anybody what that should or should not eat.

You've already heard the expression…pick your poison, in regards to liquor, in this case it's a little more true.

Now, after a challenging game of golf, I'm going to sit back and enjoy a glass of….water.

Thanks for that info tracker.

Eating organic is of course your choice. But you should feed only organic food to your kids. Frankly if you don't feed your child organic food then I won't even let my children talk to them. And you are an irresponsible parent.

and i think that denying a kid the occasional pogo or jos louis is verging on child abuse.

Eating organic is of course your choice. But you should feed only organic food to your kids. Frankly if you don't feed your child organic food then I won't even let my children talk to them. And you are an irresponsible parent.

You liked your own post.  That's so Road Griller of you.

and i think that denying a kid the occasional pogo or jos louis is verging on child abuse.

Wow...I had to actually look up both of those things...I'm not a good acronym guy so pogo went over my head.  The Jos Louis...weren't those called something different when we were growing up?  Half Moon pie's or something like that.  I remember eating them I just don't remember them being called Jos Louis.  I don't think my kids have ever eaten one...they get other treats though from time to time.  I EVEN BAKED OATMEAL COOKIES DAMNIT!!!  Don't look at me like that...I know you want some...I know you want some of my cookies.

Why do we always have to tell people how we think they should live? They can do what they want.

In regards to this, I just wanted to apologize if I did come off as acting like that.  My brain automatically goes on the defensive when I even think someone might start attacking me.  I actually don't care what other people stuff down their gullets...well, I mean I do care as I want people to be healthy, but I get more irritated when all I see people do is eat crap (and I mean every damn day not just as a treat) and then ***** how they never feel well.  Otherwise I don't really care if someone eats organic or not.  I actually don't eat all organic, mostly because we don't have access to it, but I'd prefer, as 17 said before, to eat more garden grown foods and buying from farmers markets.  I love my garden...WHERE ARE YOU SUMMER!!!!  But I do believe there has to be better ways out there to farm and sustain good crops without having to spray synthetic pesticides on everything.  I've been reading a lot on Australian farmers and how they rotate their crops and don't even till their soil much so that the winds don't erode their land.  They let the worms do all the tilling for them.  It's very interesting.  Not that we can do the same thing here as Australia, but I like when people come up with better ways of doing things in a more natural way.  I just think we humans like to play God a little too much with everything and think we know better then nature.  Anyway...that's it.

This isn't a serious comment is it?

This isn't a serious comment is it?

It is if you think it is. 

But I do believe there has to be better ways out there to farm and sustain good crops without having to spray synthetic pesticides on everything.  I've been reading a lot on Australian farmers and how they rotate their crops and don't even till their soil much so that the winds don't erode their land.  They let the worms do all the tilling for them.  It's very interesting.  Not that we can do the same thing here as Australia, but I like when people come up with better ways of doing things in a more natural way.  I just think we humans like to play God a little too much with everything and think we know better then nature.  Anyway...that's it.

It's not trying to play god or knowing better than nature, it's about trying to mitigate the adverse effects nature can have. There's a reason all these methods came into use, it makes it easier to grow more food in the same space and you don't lose your crop if you get a pest problem. Sure you could quite easily grow food without using any of that stuff, but prices would go up and they'd fluctuate more and there would be more shortages. Doing things the natural way is great, nothing tastes quite as good as fresh stuff from the garden however the way the world is today you can't go back. Everything is too centralized. 

what about using that vegetable/fruit wash spray?  That's what I use - spray it on, rub it on the fruit or vegetable to get a lather going then wash it off with water.  Does that remove the pesticides?

One thing you have to look for with organic food is ecoli bacteria, a real issue with organic food. Over 50 "organic" eaters in Germany either died or were forever disabled by ecoli bacteria they ate with organic food (bean sprouts) back in 2011.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Germany_E._coli_O104:H4_outbreak

I'm not sure if washing the food first helps with ecoli, the Wikipedia write-up isn't very clear.

LOL this reminded me of a story a friend of mine told me about how his 12 year old son had a bunch of his friends over for his birthday party. My friend was at the barbecue all afternoon grilling up tons of burgers and hotdogs as of course 12 year old boys can eat constantly, when this little pale kid comes up to him and asks him just for a hamburger bun and some carrots. Apparently his parents were forcing him to be a "vegan" and he couldn't eat any meat. My friend said this kid had no energy, and could barely play with the other boys. He looked pale and so unhealthy. I get it if you believe in this organic thing and want to waste your money on it, but turning your poor kids into vegans is just plain wrong.

LOL this reminded me of a story a friend of mine told me about how his 12 year old son had a bunch of his friends over for his birthday party. My friend was at the barbecue all afternoon grilling up tons of burgers and hotdogs as of course 12 year old boys can eat constantly, when this little pale kid comes up to him and asks him just for a hamburger bun and some carrots. Apparently his parents were forcing him to be a "vegan" and he couldn't eat any meat. My friend said this kid had no energy, and could barely play with the other boys. He looked pale and so unhealthy. I get it if you believe in this organic thing and want to waste your money on it, but turning your poor kids into vegans is just plain wrong.

You're just showing your ignorance on this topic more and more. There are Vegans who are elite athletes, run marathons, win weight lifting competitions. Some pale kid...give me a break!

You're just showing your ignorance on this topic more and more. There are Vegans who are elite athletes, run marathons, win weight lifting competitions. Some pale kid...give me a break!

Of course there are, however you have to actually put a lot of work into it if you want to make sure your body is getting all the nutrients it needs. If you just eat vegetables you're not going to be all that healthy. What really bothers me is the notion that people get that certain lifestyles are healthiest. You can be healthy eating a hell of a lot of variety of things, it's just a matter of having a good nutritional background to actually understand what you need and where you can get it from. 

Of course there are, however you have to actually put a lot of work into it if you want to make sure your body is getting all the nutrients it needs. If you just eat vegetables you're not going to be all that healthy. What really bothers me is the notion that people get that certain lifestyles are healthiest. You can be healthy eating a hell of a lot of variety of things, it's just a matter of having a good nutritional background to actually understand what you need and where you can get it from. 

Blitz, you're also talking about full grown adults.  I do believe you can raise kids as vegans, but you probably have to do it right and like 17 said, give them the correct nutrients they need to grow.  Kids will need some kind of supplementation for the nutrients they're not getting from beef as well.  Personally, I'm not a fan of veganism, and I think kids need meat to get the correct nutrients in their diet.  These kids are growing after all and they need good amounts of protein.  But after adulthood, go nuts with veganism or vegetarianism or whatever you want.  But while you're growing, I think it's best to have more then just fruits and veggies.  But that's just my opinion.

if I had the will power, I'd love to be Vegan.  Humans should not be meat eaters.  Read The China Study.  Very eye opening.

I love being in a group and someone brings up not eating meat or *gasp* being Vegan.  The people who know something about eating meat and NOT eating meat are always shouted down by the meat eaters who know nothing about either.

Its like the people who are incredulous when you say kinds shouldnt drink milk (no one should) because they see ads that say "Milk does a body good". 

I dont go out of my way to eat organic but I do try to choose the organic version if its convenient.

Blitz, you're also talking about full grown adults.  I do believe you can raise kids as vegans, but you probably have to do it right and like 17 said, give them the correct nutrients they need to grow.  Kids will need some kind of supplementation for the nutrients they're not getting from beef as well.  Personally, I'm not a fan of veganism, and I think kids need meat to get the correct nutrients in their diet.  These kids are growing after all and they need good amounts of protein.  But after adulthood, go nuts with veganism or vegetarianism or whatever you want.  But while you're growing, I think it's best to have more then just fruits and veggies.  But that's just my opinion.

Well that's great that is your opinion, but if you do some research you will learn that vegans get all the protein they need without eating meat. About the only thing that vegans don't get is vitamin B12, so a supplement is in order. It is an absolute falacy that meat is required to get sufficient amounts of protein...kids or adults

Vegans and many vegetarians get plenty of protein from beans, lentils, and legumes. I eat like a vegetarian 2 out of 3 meals every day and it feels fantastic. But life without beef is not a life I want to live. I know for a fact that the western world's level of meat and dairy consumption is wildly unsustainable and generally adverse to our overall health... but damnit when I wants a double deluxe cheeseburger I gets a double deluxe cheeseburger, simple as that.