Grocers and the Organic 'Revolution'

max power

Is it? What changes have you noticed in your health since changing?

LOL - my cousin has an organic orchard here in Kelowna. He says that the mantra of the organic grower here is "we spray at night". The whole organic thing is sooo stupid, but a clever way to get people to pay three times as much for the same food. And I say this having grown up on a farm. If you don't spray, you don't have a crop. And that's just how it is.

The one thing I noticed about Sobey's, when in Winnipeg, was their attention to the fresh produce. It's impressive. 

Because we've gone Organic, we have to shop at 3 different place to get our stuff…but it's worth it.

Well...for one, I don't see a need to eat food that's been sprayed with pesticides, fertilizer, sewage sludge, or have been radiated.  But that's just me. 

LOL - my cousin has an organic orchard here in Kelowna. He says that the mantra of the organic grower here is "we spray at night". The whole organic thing is sooo stupid, but a clever way to get people to pay three times as much for the same food. And I say this having grown up on a farm. If you don't spray, you don't have a crop. And that's just how it is.

We've grown food on this planet for thousands of years without having to spray it.  I'm not saying some organic growers don't spray their crops, but they're supposed to use organic pesticides that don't contain synthetic compounds.

LOL - my cousin has an organic orchard here in Kelowna. He says that the mantra of the organic grower here is "we spray at night". The whole organic thing is sooo stupid, but a clever way to get people to pay three times as much for the same food.

That's basically how I feel about it. I have two neighbours who have gone organic and the only thing it's done is turned them into douches.

Well...for one, I don't see a need to eat food that's been sprayed with pesticides, fertilizer, sewage sludge, or have been radiated.  But that's just me. 

This is a good example of the preaching we get from them now...

And this is the kind of attitude I get to listen to from anyone who complains to me that it's stupid to eat organic.  ****** attitudes come from both sides:

LOL - my cousin has an organic orchard here in Kelowna. He says that the mantra of the organic grower here is "we spray at night". The whole organic thing is sooo stupid, but a clever way to get people to pay three times as much for the same food.

That's basically how I feel about it. I have two neighbours who have gone organic and the only thing it's done is turned them into douches.

Sorry if I don't feel like ingesting poisons.  I really don't care if you do or not, just don't tell me that it's stupid, or that I'm stupid for doing so, or I'll rant about it.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread.

We've grown food on this planet for thousands of years without having to spray it.  I'm not saying some organic growers don't spray their crops, but they're supposed to use organic pesticides that don't contain synthetic compounds.

What's the difference between organic and synthetic? They're looking for the same effect just one is coming from less efficient natural sources and one is created specifically to do the job. The reason we spray crops now is to increase yield, grow more food in less space, with the population of the earth growing that is a good thing. They use genetically modified crops for the same reason, higher yield with less area used, which also has the benefits of less energy input to produce that yield. Organic is a fad in my mind that allows people to make themselves feel superior but really the only thing it does is up their food bill.

Honestly I think if people are THAT concerned about how their foods are produced maybe they should plant their own gardens and be as self sufficient as possible. Buy your meat directly from a farmer somewhere all that kind of thing. But then again people want the convenience of going to the store and having everything there so they're willing to get scammed by a label. 

The one thing I noticed about Sobey's, when in Winnipeg, was their attention to the fresh produce. It's impressive. 

Because we've gone Organic, we have to shop at 3 different place to get our stuff…but it's worth it.

Ha, I hesitated to post "that word", because I knew it would spark discussion, but that's good…right?

As to the health benefits, how about better sleeps, no need for ex-lax (know what I mean?-know what I mean?), and the food is fresh.

But I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I can suddenly leap tall buildings or run a few extra miles, but I do know the sense of eating free-range or grass fed products does have a psychological advantage, and to me, that's healthy.

But if you want proof, I can't help you there.

It's all a personal choice and all I can tell you is, it works for me and my wife.

Sorry if I don't feel like ingesting poisons.  I really don't care if you do or not, just don't tell me that it's stupid, or that I'm stupid for doing so, or I'll rant about it.

LOL - you are ingesting the same "poisons" as me, if indeed there are any (which if you wash your food it shouldn't matter) but you are paying three times as much. That's the issue here. You are being totally screwed over and paying three times as much for the same food that I eat. All you really are paying for is the right to walk around preaching about how much better of a person you are for eating organic. I get it all the time. My business partner only eats "organic" eggs, which cost $2 an egg. I laugh at him every time for spending that much on eggs, and he gives me the spiel about the documentary he watched blah blah blah and I laugh some more at how naïve he is. I grew up eating "organic" eggs from our barn. We were dumb I guess and just called them "eggs". If we had only known city people were so gullible...we could have been raking in way more cash just by adding one word to the description, and selling the exact same product.

Ha, I hesitated to post "that word", because I knew it would spark discussion, but that's good…right?

As to the health benefits, how about better sleeps, no need for ex-lax (know what I mean?-know what I mean?), and the food is fresh.

But I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I can suddenly leap tall buildings or run a few extra miles, but I do know the sense of eating free-range or grass fed products does have a psychological advantage, and to me, that's healthy.

It's all a personal choice and all I can tell you is, it works for me and my wife.

You must eat the organic food that doesn't cause you to rage out. You should pass your information along to Logan.

Whatever works for you. I generally don't care what other people do as long as they don't feel it entitles them to lecture me for not doing it.

Whatever works for you. I generally don't care what other people do as long as they don't feel it entitles them to lecture me for not doing it.

I agree. It's your money, if you want to pay all that money to get the false feeling of better health, go for it. Just leave me alone and don't make me listen to your babbling about it. I was paired up last summer while golfing with some teacher who wanted to tell me how she was a vegetarian and how wrong I was to eat meat, I just wanted to golf and not listen to this crap. At the fifteenth hole the golf course had beer babes grilling and selling hot dogs, so I made a point of buying two and eating them right in front of her, while she complained the whole time and told me all I was eating were "chemicals". "You mean chemicalicious" I responded. Those were probably the best hot dogs I've ever eaten, because I knew it bothered this sanctimonious prude so much.

You must eat the organic food that doesn't cause you to rage out. You should pass your information along to Logan.

And I agree, no lectures, and it should work both ways.

But the only thing I would add is, consumers should just educate themselves on what they're ingesting and take it from there.

One common misconception is the belief that simply washing your foods will erase any memory of pesticides…that has been proven  false.

I agree. It's your money, if you want to pay all that money to get the false feeling of better health, go for it. Just leave me alone and don't make me listen to your babbling about it. I was paired up last summer while golfing with some teacher who wanted to tell me how she was a vegetarian and how wrong I was to eat meat, I just wanted to golf and not listen to this crap. At the fifteenth hole the golf course had beer babes grilling and selling hot dogs, so I made a point of buying two and eating them right in front of her, while she complained the whole time and told me all I was eating were "chemicals". "You mean chemicalicious" I responded. Those were probably the best hot dogs I've ever eaten, because I knew it bothered this sanctimonious prude so much.

As long as I have to listen to your babble, you'll have to listen to mine.  :P

I would question whether those psychological benefits you see are actually benefits or simply the placebo effect in action. I mean if it works for you then more power to you, but I think it's a worthwhile question to explore. 

I would question whether those psychological benefits you see are actually benefits or simply the placebo effect in action. I mean if it works for you then more power to you, but I think it's a worthwhile question to explore. 

I could add that there have been other health benefits not mentioned, such as consistent blood test readings, less coughing and a general turn away from unhealthy eating, and now that you mention it…more power, so I can't offer that as proof, more so dietary choices, but I can safely say that watching what I eat before it goes in, definitely works for us as things turn out.

It has not been a one week turn around for us, more so a delving into and learning experience over the last 3 and a 1/2 years. It probably started upon moving here and the close proximity to a farmer's market that is walking distance to our place.

So, it has evolved slowly, kinda like the Bomber offence.

I could add that there have been other health benefits not mentioned, such as consistent blood test readings, less coughing and a general turn away from unhealthy eating, and now that you mention it…more power, so I can't offer that as proof, more so dietary choices, but I can safely say that watching what I eat before it goes in, definitely works for us as things turn out.

It has not been a one week turn around for us, more so a delving into and learning experience over the last 3 and a 1/2 years. It probably started upon moving here and the close proximity to a farmer's market that is walking distance to our place.

Damn you and your delicious Okanagan Valley!!!!

Damn you and your delicious Okanagan Valley!!!!

Problem is, how do you know what "organic" really entails?  Anything in stores is still mass produced.  Finding a local farmer (mine in stonewall was fantastic with a nice variety of veg) is your best bet.  

So, TSN...

So can I make the assumption that you've done more than simply switch to organic stuff? Sounds like there's more to it than simply going from non-organic to organic and that there's bigger dietary changes in play here. 

I won't argue about watching what you eat and making sure that you eat stuff you aren't allergic too. Food allergies are a big thing and a lot of people aren't even aware that they are eating food they are allergic to. Then they change their diets and they feel a lot better. Makes total sense.

So eating healthy and eating vegetables - awesome. Paying three times as much for basically the same food - your choice, but that just tells me you have too much money.

I won't argue about watching what you eat and making sure that you eat stuff you aren't allergic too. Food allergies are a big thing and a lot of people aren't even aware that they are eating food they are allergic to. Then they change their diets and they feel a lot better. Makes total sense.

So eating healthy and eating vegetables - awesome. Paying three times as much for basically the same food - your choice, but that just tells me you have too much money.

HEY!  Don't judge me just because the smallest I carry are thousand dollar bills man.

Wait wait wait...

Your married? ;)

And I agree, no lectures, and it should work both ways.

But the only thing I would add is, consumers should just educate themselves on what they're ingesting and take it from there.

One common misconception is the belief that simply washing your foods will erase any memory of pesticides…that has been proven  false.

what about using that vegetable/fruit wash spray?  That's what I use - spray it on, rub it on the fruit or vegetable to get a lather going then wash it off with water.  Does that remove the pesticides?

And more good news for you- Kelowna has been identified and having the best, purest tap water in Canada, and that probably means the USA as well.