Grocers and the Organic 'Revolution'

max power

Safeway? They don't have those in Toronto? Talk about small-time...

as far as i know, they don't have then east of Manitoba... watching an Als/Cats game when the in-game winner is from Red Deer for the 200th time is maddening.

Safeway? They don't have those in Toronto? Talk about small-time...

as far as i know, they don't have then east of Manitoba... watching an Als/Cats game when the in-game winner is from Red Deer for the 200th time is maddening.

Don't worry Safeway won't exist soon enough

safeway is very expensive compared to other grocery stores. But, safeway has a very loyal base of shoppers, regardless what people say, you drive by a safeway (not the one on main) and it's packed all the time when it's open. 

safeway is very expensive compared to other grocery stores. But, safeway has a very OLD base of shoppers, regardless what people say, you drive by a safeway (not the one on main) and it's packed all the time when it's open. 

Fixed it for ya  :rolleyes:

safeway is very expensive compared to other grocery stores. But, safeway has a very loyal base of shoppers, regardless what people say, you drive by a safeway (not the one on main) and it's packed all the time when it's open. 

The closest grocery store to my home is a Safeway, was also the closest grocery store to the home I grew up in.  I'd be shocked if their sales aren't down 75% (adjusted for inflation) from when I was growing up in the early 90s, at that time it was the only real grocery store in a wide radius, now there's Superstore and Sobey's (most people I know intimately do their grocery shopping at one of the two), plus Wal-Mart selling groceries.  I usually go to Safeway 3-4 times a week to pick a couple things up, and it's a ghost town, which is why it's my go to place for a quick pick up of a couple things.

Sobeys bought out Safeway right? Surprises me that they kept the brand around, it's that strong I guess? 

I'm shocked they haven't closed a few locations, they were forced to sell 4 IIRC by the competition bureau.  For instance, at Crossroads they have a Safeway and a Sobey's right across Reenders from each other.  Most retail businesses are in love with revenue/retail sq footage as a rating of efficiency, seems that having two full service grocery stores that close to each other would be hugely inefficient, much like the Future Shop/Best Buys right next door to each other which ultimately failed.

Sobeys bought out Safeway right? Surprises me that they kept the brand around, it's that strong I guess? 

I'm shocked they haven't closed a few locations, they were forced to sell 4 IIRC by the competition bureau.  For instance, at Crossroads they have a Safeway and a Sobey's right across Reenders from each other.  Most retail businesses are in love with revenue/retail sq footage as a rating of efficiency, seems that having two full service grocery stores that close to each other would be hugely inefficient, much like the Future Shop/Best Buys right next door to each other which ultimately failed.

Co-op jumped in and bought those 4 former Safeway sites, mostly the older, smaller ones.

Safeway is a memory now, you paid for service etc. but they were the pricier boys on the block, no doubt.

Best buy/Future shop is a different situation as they were owned by the same company. They tried to 'create' competition…fail.

Here, in Kelowna, the Safeway does not do a booming business, but it is steady. Its competition is Save-on-Foods, owned by…Overwaitea Foods.

Well Future Shop / Best Buy made a lot of sense because back when I worked at BB most dumb ass customers didn't realize that they owned both businesses and would threaten to leave BB and buy the product at FS.   For electronics it was much easier for people to shop and walk across the street rather then go to one place and then drive across town to a Visions....  

Safeway to me is like the A & W of grocery stores......     full of senior citizens.... high quality products.... high prices....  I will only go when coupons are present.  

I will say Sobey's is stealing a tonne of business away from Superstore in my area of town.....  for some reason Super Store has really been going downhill on produce and Milk products.   The Superstore near my house has shrunk the size of the milk section so that they have only 1 column of each kind of milk and unless you go before 5 pm it's almost always out of stock.  They also are constantly out of the normal veggies like Broccoli ,  Green Onions,  Lettuce etc....  Meanwhile Sobeys has a tonne of selection and all of the produce looks much more fresh and they always have a jam packed full fridge of Milk......   

Safeway is the best place to go when in a rush as they have zero line ups lol 

Co-op jumped in and bought those 4 former Safeway sites, mostly the older, smaller ones.

Safeway is a memory now, you paid for service etc. but they were the pricier boys on the block, no doubt.

Best buy/Future shop is a different situation as they were owned by the same company. They tried to 'create' competition…fail.

Here, in Kelowna, the Safeway does not do a booming business, but it is steady. Its competition is Save-on-Foods, owned by…Overwaitea Foods.

Comparable to the close proximity of a few Sobey's and Safeway locations in Winnipeg now, owned by the same company.

I'd rather pay more for better quality, then pay less and go to some crap hole like Walmart or Target.  When I'm ingesting food, I want to have quality not low prices.  Unless they want to give me both.

I wish they'd bring in a Whole Foods here like they have in other cities.  Stupid cheap Winnipeg.

I don't mind Safeway and Save-On. I hate bagging my own groceries, just a pet peeve. And it bugs me when they ask me how many bags do I want. How should I know? 20? 30? 3? I don't even know why they have check-out people at Superstore, they just run things over a scanner. They could train monkeys to do that.

I don't mind Safeway and Save-On. I hate bagging my own groceries, just a pet peeve. And it bugs me when they ask me how many bags do I want. How should I know? 20? 30? 3? I don't even know why they have check-out people at Superstore, they just run things over a scanner. They could train monkeys to do that.

I hate superstore for this exact reason.  It's like herding cattle in that store.

I've always been a Safeway shopper. I'll pay a little more to avoid the crazy congestion of Superstore. I'm in Southdale & that Safeway's going to be a Co-op. It'll be interesting to see what the rebates at the end of the year are like for the groceries & their pharmacy.

Sobey's just bought Safeway last year, takes a long time for the changeover.  The Safeway unions are just in discussions now;  after that, they'll probably start to change.

Here in Calgary, are there even any Sobey's?  I can't remember seeing one.  

Sobey's just bought Safeway last year, takes a long time for the changeover.  The Safeway unions are just in discussions now;  after that, they'll probably start to change.

The Safeway in Southdale is changing over to Co-op in approx. two weeks. They've agreed to keep all of the Safeway employees.

I'm not sure if the Safeway at Madison Square will be a Sobeys or a Co-Op. It's a relatively new building and is fairly large, so I suspect it will be a Sobeys.

I agree that while you can save money at Superstore, there is a lot to be said for the convenience of Safeway. I will miss their meat shop; anyone that is willing to remove the strip of fat from underneath my back ribs can go ahead and charge me an extra 25 cents/lb.

Here in Calgary, are there even any Sobey's?  I can't remember seeing one.  

Sobeys are everywhere. There's one right down the street from my house so I shop there all the time simply out of convenience. 

The one thing I noticed about Sobey's, when in Winnipeg, was their attention to the fresh produce. It's impressive. 

Because we've gone Organic, we have to shop at 3 different place to get our stuff…but it's worth it.

The one thing I noticed about Sobey's, when in Winnipeg, was their attention to the fresh produce. It's impressive. 

Because we've gone Organic, we have to shop at 3 different place to get our stuff…but it's worth it.

Is it? What changes have you noticed in your health since changing?