2014 CFL Draft blog

Mike

Considering how porous the O-line was for the past couple of years, we gotta go with the big horses.

That's actually why I picked Coombs...  Maybe a bit far-fetched, but he gives us at least the option to start with a line of January-Greaves-Saulsberry-Pencer-Jones

The content on our OL looks so bad right now, that I would sacrifice a bit of the run game (although Coombs is no slouch)

Picking Coombs give us someone to contribute mainingfully right away while buying us time for Pencer et al to develop

Then again, if they pick Goossen, I'm not going to flip out.

Ok. Lets try. We will just go top 5 tho.

Ottawa - Lavertu - not really a need, just desjardins likes to screw other teams over :P

Winnipeg - Goosen - since lavertu isnt available

Edmonton- Foucault - because like us, they desperately need oline badly

Montreal - Bailey - because i dont see any non import receivers on their roster really

BC- Gill - i could see them taking coombs here also, harris/coombs is a nice combo but i suspect gill goes here as they have westerman and need a guy who can play for him at times too. Plus westerman refused to sign an extension so maybe he's gone this next off season.

Considering how porous the O-line was for the past couple of years, we gotta go with the big horses.

That's actually why I picked Coombs...  Maybe a bit far-fetched, but he gives us at least the option to start with a line of January-Greaves-Saulsberry-Pencer-Jones

The content on our OL looks so bad right now, that I would sacrifice a bit of the run game (although Coombs is no slouch)

Picking Coombs give us someone to contribute mainingfully right away while buying us time for Pencer et al to develop

Then again, if they pick Goossen, I'm not going to flip out.

If you think Coombs is going to step in to the CFL and become a feature back as a rookie Canadian, you are going to be sorely disappointed. I really like Coombs and he's got some solid potential, but he's not going to be a precedent setter at the Canadian RB spot.

CFL.ca Staff
#CFLDraft

TORONTO -- The Canadian Football League Scouting Bureau today published its final edition of the top 15 ranked prospects eligible for the 2014 CFL Canadian Draft.

For the third-straight ranking, McGill offensive lineman Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is the top ranked prospect. Duvernay-Tardif is followed by two other offensive linemen - David Foucault from Université de Montréal is ranked second and Pierre Lavertu from Laval is third.

Rounding out the top five is the biggest mover on the list Quinn Smith. The defensive lineman from Concordia has climbed the charts from not being rated in either the fall or winter scouting bureau lists to the fourth rated prospect in the final edition. In the fifth slot is St. Francis Xavier wide receiver, Devon Bailey.

BY THE NUMBERS

The ranking includes four offensive linemen and defensive linemen, three defensive backs, two linebackers, and a wide receiver and running back.

Université de Montréal has three players on the list, the most by any one school. Laval, Manitoba, McGill, Simon Fraser and Western each have a pair of prospects on the list.

Smith, David Menard and Antoine Pruneau joined the list after not being ranked in the winter edition in January, while Max Caron, Sam Sabourin and Derek Wiggan did not reach the spring edition after being listed in the winter edition.

After a great showing at the National CFL Combine, Dylan Ainsworth soared from the 15th spot in the winter edition to the seventh spot in the spring edition.

The province of Quebec is represented with six hometown prospects. Following Quebec is Ontario with four, BC with three and Manitoba has two.

All 15 ranked players on last spring’s CFL Scouting Bureau list (it was published in April) were selected in the 2013 CFL Draft. Seven of those players were selected in the first round.

Here is the Full Ranking:

Final Scouting Bureau Ranking
Rank Name Position School

1 (1) Laurent Duvernay-Tardif OL McGill

2 (3) David Foucault OL Montreal

3 (2) Pierre Lavertu OL Laval

4 (--) Quinn Smith DL Concordia

5 (4) Devon Bailey WR St. Francis Xavier

6 (6) Evan Gill DL Manitoba

7 (15) Dylan Ainsworth DL Western

8 (9) Anthony Coombs RB Manitoba

9 (5) Matthias Goosen OL Simon Fraser

10 (8) Andrew Lue LB Queen's

11 (13) Adam Thibault DB Laval

12 (11) Casey Chin LB Simon Fraser

13 (--) David Menard DL Montreal

14 (-) Antoine Pruneau DB Montreal

15 (7) Beau Landry LB Western

Glad to see Goosen dropping, it's something that was bound to happen. Personally, I don't see him in the discussion for the 2nd overall. 

Well, he's still the second highest rated Interior Lineman. I'd like to see us trade down if Ottawa takes Lavertu now.

Only posted my mock draft yesterday and I'm already starting to doubt it.

It could be a giant smokescreen but the interest Ottawa has in Quinn Smith seems to be very real. Could they take him 1st overall?

Wouldn't be a complete surprise- of the top three, he is the only one who has no NFL interest and his versatility is probably a huge asset. If they do take him it leave the Bombers with a real dilemma- whether to gamble on a player who may never play in the CFL or to do the safe thing.

Only posted my mock draft yesterday and I'm already starting to doubt it.

It could be a giant smokescreen but the interest Ottawa has in Quinn Smith seems to be very real. Could they take him 1st overall?

I read an article that suggested that may be a possibility. But I just can't see them passing on Lavertu. He is just a perfect fit, with their OL needs and the fact that Ottawa is going to want French players on their team. Drafting a Franco first overall will be great for relations with the French fans.

Could we target Evan Gill if Lavertu goes to Ottawa as expected?  Take O'Shea's comment about needing someone who can start right away, and weigh it with this comment:

Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea believes Gill could be a rookie starter in the CFL. "Evan Gill is big and strong and a physically very talented defensive lineman who we believe could come in and start right away for a number of CFL teams," O'Shea said.

Or even Quinn Smith:

O'Shea gushes about a 300-pound man who blistered 40 yards in 4.8 seconds at the combine. "That opens people's eyes when a guy that large moves down the field that quickly," said O'Shea. "And then he followed it up with some pretty fantastic one-on-ones, where he showed his power, his quickness and his strength because he's strong, too.

"And then he flipped over and played some offensive line and fared pretty well... He's a worker. And he was a good interview. There's really nothing not to like about the guy."

But I still believe Lavertu is the number one target.  I just don't think we are going to take Goossen or Foucault if Lavertu is gone.