2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

54 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Don't fully understand why they wouldn't attend, are they being advised by their agents not to waste their time on the CFL, or do they think they're too good for the league?  If so the CFL has a serious image problem among college aged players.  If you graduated from college would you limit sending your resume only to the top employer and not cover your bases more broadly?  If good enough maybe 1 or 2 of these guys will kick around on NFL PR's for a few years before kicking back to the CFL or quitting football entirely. I can see why the Bombers emphasize picking guys who really love playing football over players just in the sport to make as much money as they can.

Still recall the many wasted years waiting for Christo Bilukidi and Andy Mulumba to give up their NFL dream and return to the Bombers, neither of them ever did, nor did they establish themselves in the NFL as starters, thus forgettable careers.  Contrast with what Pat Neufeld has accomplished even with a poor combine showing, establishing himself as a 12 year CFL starter.  I seriously doubt any of the OL guys skipping the CFL Combine for bigger things, will ever match his career.

Great video, especially when Neuf. answers questions sent in by Stanley, Chris K, and Jake.  He also sheds a bit of light on why they kept Tanner Schmeckle.

i was surprised and impressed with Paddy's poise and intelligence during the interview. He would make a great TV analyst/commentator when he's done pushing people around.

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

i was surprised and impressed with Paddy's poise and intelligence during the interview. He would make a great TV analyst/commentator when he's done pushing people around.

dude is really well spoken and just seems like a good dude....  during the pandemic, the Bombers re-aired the '19 GC online and had various players doing a "watch along", and Paddy and Jake together were brilliant during the re-broadcast. So much fun... I'd pay folding money to re-watch games with the Bombers in their theatre-style meeting rooms. 

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

What are the precedents for players being not just penalized by the league, but outright banned? 

• Justin Cox
  • Manziel
  • Marino
  • Nate Holley
  • Arland Bruce the younger

Am I missing anyone?

All but Marino were off-field bad guys. Cox and Holley were domestic violence doers, Bruce bet on his own games, and Manziel would not comply with whatever conditions the league imposed on him.

Another lber idr their name some pretty heinous domestic abuse stuff. I for sure think there is a precedent, if Kelly’s case ends up at that point. I do think Kelly is a ticking time bomber though. 

58 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Unless you are in your early 20's or under, you should remember the greatest fullback in Bomber history...

BPtVDTCCQAAR70H.jpg

Glory days. Same era the nfl had Alstott. 
nfl fb useage is up a significant portion of late as well with bigger more athletic guys available at those te/hback positions don’t be surprised to see fb continue to rise. Especially considering the rb by committee that is popular. 

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

dude is really well spoken and just seems like a good dude....  during the pandemic, the Bombers re-aired the '19 GC online and had various players doing a "watch along", and Paddy and Jake together were brilliant during the re-broadcast. So much fun... I'd pay folding money to re-watch games with the Bombers in their theatre-style meeting rooms. 

The linemen are always the best guys to listen to. Tsn needs to learn that lesson. 

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Don't fully understand why they wouldn't attend, are they being advised by their agents not to waste their time on the CFL, or do they think they're too good for the league?  If so the CFL has a serious image problem among college aged players.  If you graduated from college would you limit sending your resume only to the top employer and not cover your bases more broadly?  If good enough maybe 1 or 2 of these guys will kick around on NFL PR's for a few years before kicking back to the CFL or quitting football entirely. I can see why the Bombers emphasize picking guys who really love playing football over players just in the sport to make as much money as they can.

Still recall the many wasted years waiting for Christo Bilukidi and Andy Mulumba to give up their NFL dream and return to the Bombers, neither of them ever did, nor did they establish themselves in the NFL as starters, thus forgettable careers.  Contrast with what Pat Neufeld has accomplished even with a poor combine showing, establishing himself as a 12 year CFL starter.  I seriously doubt any of the OL guys skipping the CFL Combine for bigger things, will ever match his career.

Great video, especially when Neuf. answers questions sent in by Stanley, Chris K, and Jake.  He also sheds a bit of light on why they kept Tanner Schmeckle.

Nah, Benedet, Adams, Wallace and Hergel are legit NFL prospects.  Pretty likely the first two are drafted and potentially fairly early.  

The NCAA guys at the combine have all tested pretty average to below average.  A few of the FCS and D2 guys did ok.  Like Nkanu, Washington State.  Brutal.  If he doesn't dominate the live reps he's going to drop like crazy, not like it matters that much as long as someone drafts you.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Another lber idr their name some pretty heinous domestic abuse stuff. I for sure think there is a precedent, if Kelly’s case ends up at that point. I do think Kelly is a ticking time bomber though. 

Glory days. Same era the nfl had Alstott. 
nfl fb useage is up a significant portion of late as well with bigger more athletic guys available at those te/hback positions don’t be surprised to see fb continue to rise. Especially considering the rb by committee that is popular. 

The linemen are always the best guys to listen to. Tsn needs to learn that lesson. 

I think the LB you were referring to was an import player with the Riders who was HIV-positive, knew it and yet had unprotected sex with various local women. I believe he was convicted of ACBH and spent a few years as a guest of Her Majesty's government and then deported.

42 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Nah, Benedet, Adams, Wallace and Hergel are legit NFL prospects.  Pretty likely the first two are drafted and potentially fairly early.  

The NCAA guys at the combine have all tested pretty average to below average.  A few of the FCS and D2 guys did ok.  Like Nkanu, Washington State.  Brutal.  If he doesn't dominate the live reps he's going to drop like crazy, not like it matters that much as long as someone drafts you.

Nailed it. 
 I feel like the 1on1s are far more subjective in the cfl than most places. The differences in competition is gigantic. I also feel like the drill work out stars don’t shine in the league that often. 
 Herzog and Michael had pretty decent testing. Especially the Michael as he’s got that size. He’s ask a converted wr. 
5’8 201 4.55 39” vert 10’ broad 6.94 3 come 4.2 shuttle 

6’1 225 16 reps 4.51 35.5” 10’2 6.71 4.19 

If we grabbed one of those guys as a camp flyer with a mid to late pick say 4th or after that’d be solid. They may well go before that though. 

15 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I think the LB you were referring to was an import player with the Riders who was HIV-positive, knew it and yet had unprotected sex with various local women. I believe he was convicted of ACBH and spent a few years as a guest of Her Majesty's government and then deported.

That’s trevis smith, I was thinking of another guy but smith is about the biggest monster we’ve seen in a while. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Humble and practical guy, wants to be involved in football after his playing days are done, paying close attention and rubbing shoulders with those that can help him get there is smart.  Same can be said for Jake and Willie, projecting past their retirement date looking for future opportunities and getting involved.  That's how it's done.

Those RBs Herzog and Michael Chris-Ike will probably BOTH go in the top 3 rounds after those results. It seems like teams are valuing national backs more over the past few seasons

Daniel Adeboboye and Brady were both second rounders and they might have been better RB prospects (i really do not know) but they both had worse numbers

55 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

Those RBs Herzog and Michael Chris-Ike will probably BOTH go in the top 3 rounds after those results. It seems like teams are valuing national backs more over the past few seasons

Daniel Adeboboye and Brady were both second rounders and they might have been better RB prospects (i really do not know) but they both had worse numbers

Brady wasn't as fast but he was a lot stronger. 29 reps vs 16 for Chris-Ike (Herzog was dnp), but I think your right, I would think Chris-Ike at least would go in the 2nd round. I would think we'd even be interested vs taking a fullback (neither Hladik or Oulette impressed speed or strength wise)

1 hour ago, bluedawg said:

Could well be. I wouldn’t chase either though. Especially in this draft and with our roster. Hladik or oulette might be available in the 5th/6th with their testing numbers too. 5th n later why not. 1/2nd gotta get value  3rd I’d rather us take a guy who is nfl bound on a flier than a flier on a rb. 

I think we really need a young ol to groom, a front 6 guy would be big, we need a wr, and with starting an ni db another db that can cover WRs and not just kicks would be great. Fb/rb would be a luxury. And who knows maybe we can swing a trade and get a current roster guy. 

45 minutes ago, Pete said:

Brady wasn't as fast but he was a lot stronger. 29 reps vs 16 for Chris-Ike (Herzog was dnp), but I think your right, I would think Chris-Ike at least would go in the 2nd round. I would think we'd even be interested vs taking a fullback (neither Hladik or Oulette impressed speed or strength wise)

Brady also put up 3000 yards and 22 tds against better competition. Ike put up 700 ish and 2 tds in 5 seasons. Herzog put up 2200 ish and 29 tds. Ike has size, but height can be an issue for RBs. Ike won’t remotely have the power to be a bruising back and will have to be balanced. Brady is the perfect size and build for a power back. 

Brady and Adeboboye are both powerful runners.

Chris-Ike I think is more similar to Thomas Bertrand-Hudon from the same school. Didn't test as well but played more and had low-end college numbers. Drafted in the 4th round. Played in every game as a backup RB, fullback and special teams guy for Sask.

If we could get Chris-Ike in the 3rd or 4th I think that would be a good add to fill that type of role for us. The fullback should ideally be a really really good special teams player and maybe Chris-Ike could be that with those testing numbers. 3rd or 4th round is perfect for that type of player I'm just not sure he will last.

I think Herzog is different and more of an actual RB. Should have a lot of carries in preseason to see what he is whoever drafts him! 

11 hours ago, Pete said:

Hladik just put up 22 reps on the bench, that is pretty good for a fullback.  He had more reps than some Dlinemen.

Chisari is a guy who would fit here.  Has tailback skills.  Showed really well in the 1 on 1's vs LB's/DB's.  He'd be a guy the D would have to count, not like a Jackson or these FB's who can't move.  Would be up gaining the blocking skills and special teams.  Between him, Augustine, the receivers and a 6th OL you'd think you'd have any "fullback" reps covered in terms of bringing in extra blockers to backfield or edge.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Chisari is a guy who would fit here.  Has tailback skills.  Showed really well in the 1 on 1's vs LB's/DB's.  He'd be a guy the D would have to count, not like a Jackson or these FB's who can't move.  Would be up gaining the blocking skills and special teams.  Between him, Augustine, the receivers and a 6th OL you'd think you'd have any "fullback" reps covered in terms of bringing in extra blockers to backfield or edge.

That’s a good guy for sure. Prolific after transferring up here. Some ncaa experience, had to play a lot of teams down south to earn a shot. Great size and build. A lot of backs are in that 5’10 205 range but frame can vary a lot. He’s really built to play rb, probably would’ve put up a good number on the bench. Some high school track. Success too. Didn’t put up amazing numbers but I think it’s just a case of being a guy that excels in a different range. 
 He’d be a great value pick in the mid to late draft. And we love the oua. 

Edited by wbbfan

Let’s give it up to Damian Jackson. Jackson sacrificed himself so MBB could talk about Full Backs. We salute you sir. A true American  hero and cfl legend. 

Damian Jackson man, that dude was something, ex marine, the few the proud, perhaps like his fan base but Damn it dude is a MBB.com legend. 

Does make you wonder tho which scrub Osh will get a boner for this year tho. Always one it seems. 

Edited by Goalie

51 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Let’s give it up to Damian Jackson. Jackson sacrificed himself so MBB could talk about Full Backs. We salute you sir. A true American  hero and cfl legend. 

Damian Jackson man, that dude was something, ex marine, the few the proud, perhaps like his fan base but Damn it dude is a MBB.com legend. 

Does make you wonder tho which scrub Osh will get a boner for this year tho. Always one it seems. 

Next fb we roster is going to be a monster producer like mike sellers. But he will be standing in the shoulders of the giant that is damnian Jackson. 
 next time we sign a guy with a heavy military pedigree I’m gonna be real nervous and suspicious. 
 Next guy maybe Schmekel again. 

On 2024-03-22 at 9:32 AM, Goalie said:

He always sounds like that tho. Just less animated. He’s on the internet playing it up. Not sure why ppl can’t accept he’s just an obnoxious ******. 

Not sure why it bothers you if someone suggests he might have been under the influence? No one was saying he also isn't an obnoxious ass the rest of the time.

On 2024-03-22 at 2:02 PM, Fatty Liver said:

This sums up how they view the FB position. 

"The retirement of Miller – he’s now the special-teams coordinator – and the release of Damian Jackson last month also means the team does not have a fullback on their roster. That said, it’s not necessarily an urgent area of need. The Blue Bombers often use a sixth offensive lineman in short-yardage situations and could also feature a bigger-bodied receiver in fullback-type sets, too, if need be.

“I would believe that as a group – Buck and his group but also JY (Jordan Younger, defensive coordinator) and the defensive staff – they’re always able to fit the pieces together. Do you ‘need’ a fullback? I don’t know. Would you like one? Sure,” said O’Shea.

“We all have our philosophies on that,” added Walters. “If you dress a seventh O-lineman, is he athletic enough to handle that? Sure. Can a bigger receiver do that? Maybe. You don’t need to reach for a fullback that’s going to play eight snaps a game.

“But we obviously don’t have one on our roster and Marty and Buck would sure like to have one. We won’t just grab one at No. 8 (Winnipeg’s pick in the first round) because we don’t have one on the roster. It’s certainly a position group we’ll watch and there are some interesting guys here, two or three fullbacks here and a couple bigger tailbacks we’ve identified.”

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/03/20/cfl-combine-fyi/

You mean Hodge was wrong? Shocking.

On 2024-03-22 at 4:17 PM, Fatty Liver said:

They are being advised not to attend because one bad CFL combine and the NFL will not look their way at all.

19 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Next fb we roster is going to be a monster producer like mike sellers. But he will be standing in the shoulders of the giant that is damnian Jackson. 
 next time we sign a guy with a heavy military pedigree I’m gonna be real nervous and suspicious. 
 Next guy maybe Schmekel again. 

Doubt it.  How many fullbacks get carries these days?

On 2024-03-22 at 9:37 AM, JuranBoldenRules said:

OL group at combine is pretty poor.  But most of the top 7-8 guys aren't there.  Dumoulin Duguay is a guy I could see us picking in Round 1.

We know O'Shea is on side...

Dumoulin-Duguay carries army experience into football with sights set on CFL draft

Dumoulin-Duguay carries army experience into football with sights set on CFL draft (msn.com)

On 2024-03-22 at 6:39 PM, bluedawg said:

Last player to test like Herzog at the combine was Johnny Augustine. He went undrafted.