2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I can honestly say that over the years I have never met a player that thought of the playoffs or the Grey Cup as OT they didn't ask for. I've met a ton of former and current Bombers through coaching clinics etc. and to a man every single one of them want to hoist the Cup. If we have any guys like that on the Bombers I hope we cut them, but I highly doubt we do. Sounds more like these players gather in Regina.

I mean, yeah … you’re meeting them at coaching clinics. Do the math, those aren’t typically the guys who just view football as a job and nothing more.

You don’t think it’s a reality for players? Look at Nikola Jokic in the NBA. 2 time MVP, defending champ. Hates basketball.

Just now, MOBomberFan said:

That's a tough life lol imagine doing a job you hate

Lots of guys just play because they’re good at it, not because they enjoy it. Most of them just won’t say it out loud because of the fan reaction lol it’s just the reality of things, I’m sure lots of lawyers/doctors/whatever else don’t love their job either. To suggest otherwise is just oblivious. Just because pro sports gets glamorized doesn’t mean everyone who participates enjoys it. 

Hell, I have a good job that pays me on par with all but the high end CFL players but I’m not excited to be the best at it and I sure as hell wouldn’t do it for free. It’s just a job. 

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

I mean, yeah … you’re meeting them at coaching clinics. Do the math, those aren’t typically the guys who just view football as a job and nothing more.

You don’t think it’s a reality for players? Look at Nikola Jokic in the NBA. 2 time MVP, defending champ. Hates basketball.

I doubt he actually hates basketball haha

Just now, bryan35 said:

He looked disappointed last year when he found out he had to stick around for the championship parade. 

Did you see his interview this year on the first day of training camp? 😂

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

I suspect this is the type of player O'Shea and Walters are always looking for, the guys that have a passion for football and love the game, those are the players that eventually step up and become leaders.

18 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

This is fair, I have always been of the opinion the CFLPA awards were the 'real' awards, the closest to perfect you could get... maybe they still are, but ya the cracks were showing this year for sure imo

There were some that were questionable, but nothing really egregious.

13 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

How the mighty have fallen, Stamps scrounging through garbage bins, trying to patch a roster together.

I thought that Teitz had some good games and made a few good plays, but his effectiveness declined as the Rider defence imploded. I wouldn't have broken the bank, but would have picked him up.

11 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I absolutely 100% believe there are mercs all across the league here for pay and film, the reality is we couldn't have a league without them, I totally accept that

Sure there are some, but most of them are weeded out very quick. You don't play professional sports at the high levels without caring about winning unless you are uber talented.

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

Lots of guys just play because they’re good at it, not because they enjoy it. Most of them just won’t say it out loud because of the fan reaction lol it’s just the reality of things, I’m sure lots of lawyers/doctors/whatever else don’t love their job either. To suggest otherwise is just oblivious. Just because pro sports gets glamorized doesn’t mean everyone who participates enjoys it. 

Hell, I have a good job that pays me on par with all but the high end CFL players but I’m not excited to be the best at it and I sure as hell wouldn’t do it for free. It’s just a job. 

Sure, there is the odd guy who just plays for the pay cheque but you are trying to sell me on guys coming to the CFL are doing so for the money? 

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Dalton Schoen (which is what I was asking about earlier) not being named one in 2022 should tell you everything you need to know.

I agree on that. However, it's not like the guys chosen were barely passable as a starter. Sometimes, good even great players get left off.

13 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Sure, there is the odd guy who just plays for the pay cheque but you are trying to sell me on guys coming to the CFL are doing so for the money? 

Players are coming to the CFL because it beats getting a 9-5. Do you think everyone who enters the league makes responsible choices in every aspect of their life? There are absolutely guys who sign contracts thinking “wow this sure beats having to apply for full time jobs, I’ll **** around for now and figure it out later”

40 minutes ago, Mike said:

Players are coming to the CFL because it beats getting a 9-5. Do you think everyone who enters the league makes responsible choices in every aspect of their life? There are absolutely guys who sign contracts thinking “wow this sure beats having to apply for full time jobs, I’ll **** around for now and figure it out later”

True, I would say for at least half the players coming out of US Colleges, a degree in football is the only thing they graduated with, and they haven't prepared well for any other reality.

29 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

True, I would say for at least half the players coming out of US Colleges, a degree in football is the only thing they graduated with, and they haven't prepared well for any other reality.

The standard of education down south is ...let's say wanting...I don't now how some of those guys coming out of college, would make it any other way in the working world, besides football....It's bewildering to know that some of them who can't even spell 'is' ,  have to look for a life after professional sport in some capacity...and if you're not a star making big bucks, that's scary

31 minutes ago, Stickem said:

The standard of education down south is ...let's say wanting...I don't now how some of those guys coming out of college, would make it any other way in the working world, besides football....It's bewildering to know that some of them who can't even spell 'is' ,  have to look for a life after professional sport in some capacity...and if you're not a star making big bucks, that's scary

Most of the guys recruited to the CFL are coming for a chance to continue their NFL dream down a different road. I don't believe for one second that any great number of CFL players are coming here for an easy pay cheque because it beats a 9-5. Our starting salary is not a lot, guys on the PR are making bupkus compared to a gas jockey where they come from. They are here because they love the game, want to continue playing, and if anyone thinks that winning doesn't help feed that they are out to lunch. Guys are vetted very carefully, and maybe some guys get an invite to TC with attitudes like Mike has suggested they won't play for longer than a heart beat in our league without a desire to either prove themselves to the NFL or to win. That's just fact.

Interesting debate here. Considering the toll that football takes on the body, I would lean more towards guys playing for the $$ and the travel opportunities.

Yeah, you an make practice roster money pretty much anywhere, but entry level contracts are $75 000 ($55 000 USD) for a 6 month season - that's not money you make just anywhere