2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

41 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I think the downturn in scoring was more to do with the fact that

A-They had a year with no football

B- 6/9 teams were using a new offence, new QB or both

C- The Bomber D kicked the crap out of everyone and single-handedly brought down the scoring average 

I feel like the league jumps the gun implementing rule changes a lot of the time. 

I recall a few years were most teams were starting backup QB's because their starters were out with injury, and that led to a lot of bad football.

8 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

I recall a few years were most teams were starting backup QB's because their starters were out with injury, and that led to a lot of bad football.

Jake Maier was the only qb in the CFL to play all 18 games last season so nothing has changed.

18 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Still under $400,000 if he hits every bonus.  Could offer Brown almost the exact same deal and be spending the same as Winnipeg or Toronto are on QB's.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Still under $400,000 if he hits every bonus.  Could offer Brown almost the exact same deal and be spending the same as Winnipeg or Toronto are on QB's.

Dickenson opening up the Stampeders QB $$$ envelope to accommodate Brown. I hate this. Hey Kyle: time to re-neg Collaros's contract.

Edited by Doublezero

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

With so few openings I think if any team offered Brown $250k and the chance to compete for the starting job, he'd be interested.  Ottawa, Calgary and Hamilton look to be the only 3 places that could potentially offer him that.

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

With so few openings I think if any team offered Brown $250k and the chance to compete for the starting job, he'd be interested.  Ottawa, Calgary and Hamilton look to be the only 3 places that could potentially offer him that.

Think Sask could be in there too depending on how they feel about Dolegala.  Brown will probably cost a bit more hard money but they should be able to make that up easily with some of the vets they are giving up on D.  Only one of Brown or Harris would be able to hit significant playtime bonuses.  And if Harris goes on 6 game again it's way easier to manage.  Either way I think Sask will have a backup who is relatively experienced and in that 200k plus range.

5 hours ago, Doublezero said:

Dickenson opening up the Stampeders QB $$$ envelope to accommodate Brown. I hate this. Hey Kyle: time to re-neg Collaros's contract.

I like Zach & want him back but yeah, it's time he took a haircut. The money being paid qbs is unsustainable. So, reset the position so this doesn't have to be a thing every year.

17 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I like Zach & want him back but yeah, it's time he took a haircut. The money being paid qbs is unsustainable. So, reset the position so this doesn't have to be a thing every year.

And the truth is that he is an asset that is diminishing in value every year.

31 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not sure how you figure that.  A guy on a practice roster activated for less than half a season in the NFL made more than Collaros will.

BLM and Reilly made more in 19 than Collaros will in 24.

There's no reason for Collaros to even entertain the conversation.

20 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Not sure how you figure that.  A guy on a practice roster activated for less than half a season in the NFL made more than Collaros will.

Why do people compare the NFL to the CFL? It's in another stratosphere so they should pay more so who cares? QBs making more in 2019 before the pandemic just shows how the CFL is shrinking & not growing while the CFL does nothing to spur growth. Personally, I don't care if Nathan Rourke made more money than any CFL qb did.

Of course Collaros doesn't have to "entertain" anything. But for the good of the team he should. It's obvious the Bombers are up against it with the ridiculously low salary cap.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You can say that about every player. All it takes is one knee injury to destroy even a blue chipper's career. Or shorten it substantially.

Not really. Players who are in the early parts of their careers and still accumulating experience are appreciating assets.

13 hours ago, Tracker said:

Not really. Players who are in the early parts of their careers and still accumulating experience are appreciating assets.

In the CFL? Most guys make no real money playing in the CFL. General Managers dupe their players by deferring payments into bonuses at the middle or end of January & then cut them so they don't have to pay. 

So many players are on one year deals it doesn't matter if players are appreciating or depreciating as they only last a year with a team & move on.

Most players have to find off season jobs. There's a handful of guys making 90% of the money at 3 or 4 positions like QB, DE or WR. Unless you're an overpaid & overrated Canadian OL that teams open up the banks for as most of them truly are. There really aren't a lot of truly great Canadian OL playing on any team. The remainder of a typical roster don't make what they should be making.

To me, appreciating or depreciating means nothing. Prime example Sean Lemon. In  his mid 30's & not mid 20's. Signs one year deals only & cashes in every time.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Players and their agents that agree to off season bonuses are gambling on themselves, that they will lock down their spot and be indispensable and worth the $ come bonus time. Seems good business to cut players not worth the bonus and to pay the ones that are. Pro football is a cut throat business, players and agents know the risks when they negotiate

No arguing the point about overpaid Canadian OL, however. That's the ratio for you. Hide your CanCon in the trenches where they are less exposed and fill out the skill positions with American mercenaries on entry level contracts, retain your top tier talent and keep shuffling the deck everywhere else.

I wonder, would a reduction in the ratio spread more of the money around, or further drive up the cost of quality Canadians? I think the former but who knows?

5 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Players and their agents that agree to off season bonuses are gambling on themselves, that they will lock down their spot and be indispensable and worth the $ come bonus time. Seems good business to cut players not worth the bonus and to pay the ones that are. Pro football is a cut throat business, players and agents know the risks when they negotiate

No arguing the point about overpaid Canadian OL, however. That's the ratio for you. Hide your CanCon in the trenches where they are less exposed and fill out the skill positions with American mercenaries on entry level contracts, retain your top tier talent and keep shuffling the deck everywhere else.

I wonder, would a reduction in the ratio spread more of the money around, or further drive up the cost of quality Canadians? I think the former but who knows?

If we reduced Canadians or eliminated the ratio then the cost of players salaries would be greatly reduced. It always bothered me seeing someone like Jeremiah Masoli get pummelled because the Canadian guard blocking an American DT is nothing more than a pylon. He makes more $$ than an American would in his place.

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I wish I got paid 80k for 6 months of work. 

It's not 6 months work when you factor in that they have to work out every single day, 12 months of the year to be in football shape. Hasn't been a part time job in many many years. Factor in that your career can be over in a heartbeat in this rough sport, and they should be getting every penny they can. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It's not 6 months work when you factor in that they have to work out every single day, 12 months of the year to be in football shape. Hasn't been a part time job in many many years. Factor in that your career can be over in a heartbeat in this rough sport, and they should be getting every penny they can. 

Agree.

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

And start your training when you’re about 8. 

21 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I wish I got paid 80k for 6 months of work. 

become an under water off shore welder. You can make similar money to what Dru brown is going to get for less than full time work. Or a regional head of sales. You can be done in a few years and save the middle school high school and college years. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

And start your training when you’re about 8. 

become an under water off shore welder. You can make similar money to what Dru brown is going to get for less than full time work. Or a regional head of sales. You can be done in a few years and save the middle school high school and college years. 

Go work on an oil rig platform in the North Sea for 2 months. About $50,000 a month in salary on average.

19 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yeah and the Lions gutted the rest of their roster to pay Reilly that much. They finished at 5 -13 and out of the play offs. That's why it's not sustainable.