2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

I’d be very surprised if we’re able to keep both Schoen and Oliviera, but would be happy as hell to be wrong.   
just genuinely curious out of those two, if you had to pick one, which one would you rather we could keep? 
Im leaning towards Brady, but it’s a tough call.   They’re both the type of players that don’t come around all the time.   

Edited by Rex_Banner

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Rex_Banner said:

I’d be very surprised if we’re able to keep both Schoen and Oliviera, but would be happy as hell to be wrong.   
just genuinely curious out of those two, if you had to pick one, which one would you rather we could keep? 
Im leaning towards Brady, but it’s a tough call.   They’re both the type of players that don’t come around all the time.   

Schoen all the way...RB like BO are not rare....as a Canadian perhaps...but I always saw it as a poor ratio decision as the drop off is dramatic to keep that ratio with injury...and generally if u want a "decent" back up that's Canadian u paying more too

2 hours ago, Rex_Banner said:

Think about it this way.  We won Grey Cups with Lawler as our #1, Demski, Adams, Wolitarsky, Bailey.

We haven't won anything without Harris.  Since Oliviera and Schoen came in, we've faltered both times in November.

They can get it done without either.

I'd say looking at the landscape, it will be a lot harder to replace the overall game of Oliviera, especially what he brings to the pass game.

Think about 2022, brought in a guy like Ellingson who was always dinged but produced at like a 1400 yard pace when he did play.  There's more guys like that around than complete every down backs.  You get into a bit of a ratio mess if you need to start dressing 2-3 backs to cover off what you need.  Augustine could maybe be one of those guys.

1 hour ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Love Roadhouse, butvifbhe is asking for 300k, I am ok with moving on. 

That is going to be a stupid cap cap hit for us... rookie contract to 300k... ouch.

The salary cap is hampering teams with their small one hundred thousand dollar incrememental increases. It's just not enough. Whatever happened to single game betting as thew saviour for the CFL & each team making an extra million dollars off of it? 

28 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The salary cap is hampering teams with their small one hundred thousand dollar incrememental increases. It's just not enough. Whatever happened to single game betting as thew saviour for the CFL & each team making an extra million dollars off of it? 

It can’t hamper teams if all teams have the same cap. 

Even if the cap is doubled and salaries increase, you’re still going to see players leave via free agency.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Think about it this way.  We won Grey Cups with Lawler as our #1, Demski, Adams, Wolitarsky, Bailey.

We haven't won anything without Harris.  Since Oliviera and Schoen came in, we've faltered both times in November.

They can get it done without either.

I'd say looking at the landscape, it will be a lot harder to replace the overall game of Oliviera, especially what he brings to the pass game.

Think about 2022, brought in a guy like Ellingson who was always dinged but produced at like a 1400 yard pace when he did play.  There's more guys like that around than complete every down backs.  You get into a bit of a ratio mess if you need to start dressing 2-3 backs to cover off what you need.  Augustine could maybe be one of those guys.

We really going to put ANY blame on Brady for the current playoff run? Since he became starter there has been 3 instances of RBs running for more than 100 yards in the playoffs... Brady, Brady and Brady. In those 4 games Collaros threw for more than 200 yards once and has a TD/INT ratio of 1/3.

Running Backs are interchangeable for the most part, but for Brady at least you are buying his prime instead of the decline. It's likely this contract is his one pay day and then as all RBs do he hits the cliff at 29 and will likely be cast aside. The drop off from an MOP Running Back to whatever you can find will likely be reasonably steep, and if you can't trust the passing offense in the playoffs where will that get you?

The team is built so the window probably runs out after 2025. I think short term Brady probably is going to be more meaningful than Schoen, especially with Demski and Lawler on the roster. Of course I would like to have them both back.

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

Hampers in regards to amount of top talent you can maintain...

Like Schoen who goes from a rookie deal under $100,000 to probably over $300,000. How can a team plan for that? Question: Serious responses, please. What do you think of a Marquis Player Rule? One designated player per team is paid outside the cap? In this example for the Bombers, Zach Collaros salary wouldn't count giving us some flexibility to sign other key players. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Like Schoen who goes from a rookie deal under $100,000 to probably over $300,000. How can a team plan for that? Question: Serious responses, please. What do you think of a Marquis Player Rule? One designated player per team is paid outside the cap? In this example for the Bombers, Zach Collaros salary wouldn't count giving us some flexibility to sign other key players. 

They should have implemented that yrs ago...would also help teams with continuity with keeping their top players

Sounds kind of like when Calgary had Flutie on a Personal Services contract. 
I like it in theory, but it feels like it would help the Argos or deep pocketed teams the most. 

What makes our team better, schoen or pickett/hendrix for less money? and Brady/schoen vs both Argos and easily another base deal player? 
 I love roadhouse but I think we would be better with more spent on defense. If we retain lawler, demski, woli, and Bailey we don’t need an ace wr we can bring in low risk high reward cheaper vet type to compete with rookies for a spot. 

4 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I like it in theory, but it feels like it would help the Argos or deep pocketed teams the most. 

Every team could do it so it wouldn't be just the Argos. It wouldn't be a personal services contract. The team a oplayer signed with would still be paying that player. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think I would take it one step further and have a starting QB plus a player of choice included in Marquis. Likely be ruled an unfair advantage to the Bombers. 

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I was thinking about some thing similar the other day, though just for QBs. Maybe a sliding scale so any qb that starts gets that money. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

What makes our team better, schoen or pickett/hendrix for less money? and Brady/schoen vs both Argos and easily another base deal player? 
 I love roadhouse but I think we would be better with more spent on defense. If we retain lawler, demski, woli, and Bailey we don’t need an ace wr we can bring in low risk high reward cheaper vet type to compete with rookies for a spot. 

What are your thoughts on a Marquis Player Rule. Okay, sorry. You already answered.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I don’t think the Argos would get that too dollar. Ham, wpg,ssk and bc would benefit the most currently imo. 

What are your thoughts on a Marquis Player Rule. 

I like it, as long as the cap doesn’t shrink out side of it and teams aren’t allowed to skip it. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Sign Coxie ..Pickett and Hendrix...a rookie import RB...or Carey on the cheap...and MAson Bennett/Kongbo...then trust in your scouting...We would be a better balanced team for same money spent on those 2...excluding the BennettKongbo

Edited by Booch

Just now, Booch said:

Sign Coxie ..Pickett and Hendrix...a rookie import RB...or Carey on the cheap...and MAson Bennett/Kongbo...then trust in your scouting...We would be a better balanced team for same money spent on those 2

That defence would be massive. I think we’d still have a strong offence as well. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

That defence would be massive. I think we’d still have a strong offence as well. 

Yup...Coxie would be a fine replacement...Carey on a 1 yr deal also would be more than adequate behind our online...

13 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Is the ask would I rather have Schoen or Pickett and Hendrix? Love Roadhouse but would take those 2.

14 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I think you’d have to have a cap on the marquis player too, I meant more like MLSE could outbid anyone else for a single player if cap wasn’t an issue. 

They could, but would they? Bombers showing decent annual profits would be more motivated to spend than MLSE. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Hampers in regards to amount of top talent you can maintain...

How?

Even if we could double the cap, everyone’s wages go up (great for players) and you still end up against the cap and losing players.

A “marquee” player is the same thing. One guy gets more money (good for him), but how does that help you keep your players?

Edited by Jesse

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I think you’d have to have a cap on the marquis player too, I meant more like MLSE could outbid anyone else for a single player if cap wasn’t an issue. 

In theory maybe, in reality maybe not practically they wouldn’t if they could. Not sure mlse could just tack on that much cash from petty money. Bob young and doman could though  mlse has people to answer to and that money would have 0 chance of an roi. 

21 minutes ago, Jesse said:

How?

Even if we could double the cap, everyone’s wages go up (great for players) and you still end up against the cap and losing players.

A “marquee” player is the same thing. One guy gets more money (good for him), but how does that help you keep your players?

if you used it like a franchise tag, which I hate, you could force higher retention. Other wise the only way to limit movement is limiting short term contract money, or de incentivizing signing other teams guys  like restricted and qualified compensation players in the nba/mlb  the ladder of which likely hurts the league more than it helps  

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Is the ask would I rather have Schoen or Pickett and Hendrix? Love Roadhouse but would take those 2.

I’d say schoen is 1.5 off those two. Brady and schoen is like 2.5 guys like that in salary pretty easy.