2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Do ppl think sellouts didn’t happen b4 Demski Harris and Brady got here? Hell I remember the ticat boat incident. That was sell out. No local stars then. 

ppl don’t care if someone local is on the team. They care about the team winning. 

you know what wade cares about more? Putting a competitive team on the field. U can’t do that paying a fn RB over 200k. 

No love for Donny O? 😂

5 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Winning cures everything, but if the Bombers start losing and Brady's replacement sucks....

I'm old enough to remember losing seasons where people complained we didn't have any locals.

What if Brady stays and the Bombers start losing? 

11 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Again - this team sets maximums they are willing to spend per position group. If a salary doesn’t  fit in that budget  it isn’t happening- and that number sure as **** is not happening. 

Goes both ways, adding $250k to the receiver budget for Schoen doesn't work well either.

1 minute ago, Geebrr said:

What if Brady stays and the Bombers start losing? 

Then fans will still have a very popular local talent to cheer for.

I'm not saying sign him for what he's asking - just saying there IS a risk to letting him go.

Most fans aren't as sophisticated as this MENSA-certified community - they just like getting drunk and cheering for the guy they like.  And winning.

Just now, Wideleft said:

Then fans will still have a very popular local talent to cheer for.

I'm not saying sign him for what he's asking - just saying there IS a risk to letting him go.

Most fans aren't as sophisticated as this MENSA-certified community - they just like getting drunk and cheering for the guy they like.  And winning.

I don’t think people are going to Bomber games because Brady is from here and saves dogs in any real significant numbers. 

We all love Brady and the work he does - but those people are not paying the bills. 

We also have a star named Nic Demski - so we can all still cheer for him. 

4 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Goes both ways, adding $250k to the receiver budget for Schoen doesn't work well either.

Works for me. 

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

it does in what you are getting and ease of having to replace his production tho...I think paying the top 2 guys combined on your team if u have 2 studs around 550...600k is the new norm

Id spent up on Ouellete over Kadeem Carey personally. I like Ouellete's style. He would make us even more physical than we were with Brady and Carey has a significant injury history.  After Brady and Ouellete that's when id be looking for bargains like Carey.

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I don’t think people are going to Bomber games because Brady is from here and saves dogs in any real significant numbers. 

I can count all the Grey Cups Milt Stegall won on my missing toe.  He even held himself out for more money on occasion.

The Bombers are still making money selling uni's with 85 on the back.

Ouellette or Carey is a perfect fit here. 

Just now, Wideleft said:

I can count all the Grey Cups Milt Stegall won on my missing toe.  He even held himself out for more money on occasion.

He wasn’t local - so it sounds like it doesn’t matter where they’re from. 

If we are shaving Gray...Jeffcoat...Thomas...Briggs...Miller...Gauthier...Rose..Darby...possibly Yoshi....we have more than enough to bring back Schoen when we fill out the roster

The fact we havnt extended Jake yet makes one think we moving on and Lawson gets lions share of Canadian DT reps...which works just fine for me

Having 2 high priced receivers is a lot easier to hide in your positional SMS than having a 250k running back.

6 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Exactly...and Milt was not from here. People in Winnipeg or elsewhere aren't buying Brady jersey's, they are buying Bomber jerseys and then deciding to have Brady on it. Sure he's popular but if he's gone the fans will simply pick another Bomber fave. Winning sells jerseys not saving dogs. I see a lot of BO, Demski jerseys but not any more than I see Collaros, Willie J jerseys.

Edited by GCn20

Ouellette is a black hole in the passing game though.  He was subbed out a ton.  He's not a guy that can be the every down only back on a team.  I have no interest in him much past average salary range plus some incentives for production and awards etc.

We're a markedly worse team with Ouellette.  I'd rather spend that money on receivers and try out some other options at running back.  I think Ouellette is actually going to take a harder fall on his contract expectations than Oliviera.  Oliviera could get 200 including some incentives.

So BANE gets 170/175k over 2 yrs from the Riders....would think that a mid level contract dollar wise for a 4th yr guy now who had a break out yr...Now what does that set a ceiling at for a guy going into yr 3 with 2 top the league seasons?....100k a year more?....

1 minute ago, Booch said:

So BANE gets 170/175k over 2 yrs from the Riders....would think that a mid level contract dollar wise for a 4th yr guy now who had a break out yr...Now what does that set a ceiling at for a guy going into yr 3 with 2 top the league seasons?....100k a year more?....

Schoen is Lawler money for sure.

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Ouellette is a black hole in the passing game though.  He was subbed out a ton.  He's not a guy that can be the every down only back on a team.  I have no interest in him much past average salary range plus some incentives for production and awards etc.

We're a markedly worse team with Ouellette.  I'd rather spend that money on receivers and try out some other options at running back.  I think Ouellette is actually going to take a harder fall on his contract expectations than Oliviera.  Oliviera could get 200 including some incentives.

Fair - but he is such a strong runner. It is enticing. 

Carey does both. 

6 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

He wasn’t local - so it sounds like it doesn’t matter where they’re from. 

Brady being local is a very big component of why he is loved here.  He's also a hell of a player and a good human being.

Just saying the negotiations pose a risk to the Bomber brand.  And that's all I am saying.

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:

Brady being local is a very big component of why he is loved here.  He's also a hell of a player and a good human being.

Just saying the negotiations pose a risk to the Bomber brand.  And that's all I am saying.

We all love Brady. He’s a great player. 

I don’t think it is a risk to the brand to anyone that actually pays money to keep the lights on. 

3 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

We all love Brady. He’s a great player. 

I don’t think it is a risk to the brand to anyone that actually pays money to keep the lights on. 

didnt seem to hurt fan sentiment and turn out either with the harris break up...BO  a quality guy and player...big part of the team...but if his ask just doesnt work...it doesnt work and we move forward

I'd be going for Whitehead at just over Bane money instead of Schoen at Lawler money. We have Lawler. We have Demski. We have Woli. Whitehead is super versatile and could fit back in here very well. Then you have a training camp battle for the last spot.

18 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Fair - but he is such a strong runner. It is enticing. 

Carey does both. 

Carey's never really been a full time player either nor a threat in the pass game at all for anyone but his QB.  And he's 32. 

So in avoiding paying the guy that is we might end up paying the same amount to use an extra roster spot for a couple guys, probably 1 vet and 1 rookie deal guy, to do the job plus Augustine.

I think it circles back to Oliviera.

20 minutes ago, Booch said:

didnt seem to hurt fan sentiment and turn out either with the harris break up...BO  a quality guy and player...big part of the team...but if his ask just doesnt work...it doesnt work and we move forward

Harris being at the end of his career is a big difference.  Also, not committing to off-season work.

Edited by Wideleft

8 minutes ago, BBlink said:

I'd be going for Whitehead at just over Bane money instead of Schoen at Lawler money. We have Lawler. We have Demski. We have Woli. Whitehead is super versatile and could fit back in here very well. Then you have a training camp battle for the last spot.

I’d be upset with this. Whitehead can’t stay healthy and he has lot a step.