2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Are you expecting him to play on one leg for the 2024 season? 

Father time. It's crucial to cut bait before the end, not a year too late. 

Bighill has clearly been on the decline for a couple years. He gets washed out like crazy, misses clean tackles, gets beat regularly.

But, hey, maybe I just need to be talked off the ledge after years of PTSD.

I just wish the WBB went more Buono on this and started making the tough decisions that need to be made. I haven't seen a tough decision besides the Hall/Boudreau moves, but that's not the roster.

I think Mike is right as well, FWIW. I think he was a year early with his "fans will start turning prediction", and this year will be the year.

PROVE ME WRONG EVERYONE PLS

Running it back for year 3 without clear upgrades just seems like a major error, imo. 

Edited by Dr Zaius

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Dr Zaius said:

Father time. It's crucial to cut bait before the end, not a year too late. 

Bighill has clearly been on the decline for a couple years. He gets washed out like crazy, misses clean tackles, gets beat regularly.

But, hey, maybe I just need to be talked off the ledge after years of PTSD.

I just wish the WBB went more Buono on this and started making the tough decisions that need to be made. I haven't seen a tough decision besides the Hall/Boudreau moves, but that's not the roster.

I think Mike is right as well, FWIW. I think he was a year early with his "fans will start turning prediction", and this year will be the year.

PROVE ME WRONG EVERYONE PLS

Running it back for year 3 without clear upgrades just seems like a major error, imo. 

It is very difficult to upgrade the best team in the league.

Just now, Jesse said:

It is very difficult to upgrade the best team in the league.

The best team in the league didn't win the Grey Cup?

Just now, Noeller said:

so you think he'll be a liability when at 100% health this year? 

I don't think he'll be worth "top MLB" salary. He wasn't a top 3 MLB for the last 2 years, why would he be now?

Just now, Dr Zaius said:

Nope - two years running. This was the hardest thing for me to adjust in my head this off-season. We were absolutely the best team in the league the past two seasons, but we didn't get it done in a "one-game-winner-take-all" scenario. It happens. Still no question in my mind we are the elite...class of the league. 

1 minute ago, Dr Zaius said:

I don't think he'll be worth "top MLB" salary. He wasn't a top 3 MLB for the last 2 years, why would he be now?

is he getting that? 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Nope - two years running. This was the hardest thing for me to adjust in my head this off-season. We were absolutely the best team in the league the past two seasons, but we didn't get it done in a "one-game-winner-take-all" scenario. It happens. Still no question in my mind we are the elite...class of the league. 

is he getting that? 

He was. Correct me if i'm Wrong, but, yeah, he was making like 2nd or 3rd highest salary amongst them.

So the question is -- where are our upgrades as a whole? I just don't see them outright. 

6 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

I thought HAM for sure until Bo was brought back (thought he was gone based on his remarks at the end of the season). OTT seems like the path of least resistance, but as has been pointed out, that's where QB's go to die. SSK is rolling with Harris because <fart noises>, they could use a good young QB like Brown in the wings but Brown wants to start now, not later (it appears to me). CGY seems enamored with Maier, and he isn't thaaaat bad... call me a homer but I think Brown could do better.

Hamilton already has a good young qb in Powell. No guarantee that Brown would be the starter in Hamilton. Corey Mace has committed to Trevor Harris. Dave Dickenson isn't ready to give up on Maier just yet. If Brown is stupid enough to sign with the RedBlacks then he'll wreck his career. He'll just become another Nick Arbuckle. He'll become another human punching bag like Michael Penix was last night playing for Ottawa. For Brown's sake, I hope he stays out of that situation.  Pickings are slim for Brown right now unless one of the CFL head coaches wants to shake things up. 

really curious about what the LB salaries are.... I was definitely unaware (if) Bighill is making "top 3" money at his position.  Also Brian Cole is an upgrade at LB, with Kyrie Wilson sliding over to the middle, if needed. I have no problem with that scenario. And hopefully we have plenty more in camp this year to start getting ready for '25....

5 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Because Powell is a season or two from being ready to be a starter?  BLM is not the answer (even short term) and Powell isn't ready yet so Brown would give them their best shot.

For us, Powell would be a good fit as he'd have another year (or two) to develop behind Zach.  He'd be in a prime spot to take over for Zach (assuming he wraps up his career or we move on after this contract is up).

What makes you think Brown would continue to play at a high level on another team? I don't think he's ready to qb a CFL team just yet. Nick Arbuckle should have stayed in Calgary one more season to continue learning under Dave Dickenson. 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

really curious about what the LB salaries are.... I was definitely unaware (if) Bighill is making "top 3" money at his position.  Also Brian Cole is an upgrade at LB, with Kyrie Wilson sliding over to the middle, if needed. I have no problem with that scenario. And hopefully we have plenty more in camp this year to start getting ready for '25....

Plus Clements was really good last season as well.

10 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

This is the biggest key of this off-season to me. I’ve repeated it before but we need a true Nose Tackle on the roster. 

As far as DB’s, I think wbbfan suggested that with JY, we might see less of DBs quickly turning to run with WRs, staying in backpedal longer in order to break on the ball. 

This tweak could be huge for a guy like Parker who excels playing that style. 

We’ve had our most success the last few years when the DBs are coming down on routes. 

Not upgrading the interior of the DL tells me it was Ritchie Hall's decision to play undersized linemen in that role. I just hope that changes. That'll make a huge difference all round for our defense. 

22 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Fair, but what signings are you really excited about?

We're going to lose Schoen. 

Bighill was a straight liability in the Grey Cup. I don't see reason for much optimism there amongst the LB corps
Collaros has been dog **** for 3 straight Grey Cups, sans showing up super clutch in OT in 2021.

I'm not disagreeing with you, btw, I'm just not seeing many upgrades. 

It's January 

17 minutes ago, Noeller said:

He was the third highest, but that was only 165k. LBs aren’t paid as much as other position groups.

27 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

lol. In what world were the Als the best team in the league last year?

29 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not upgrading the interior of the DL tells me it was Ritchie Hall's decision to play undersized linemen in that role. I just hope that changes. That'll make a huge difference all round for our defense. 

WTH Jesse with the roll eyes?? Are you denying that the biggest weakness on defense is our interior line?? If a team can't improve a position like DT after two full seasons then it has to be the DC's decision to go in another direction. The Bombers could have signed numerous free agents to fill that role. Once Stove left our D lost all of its physicality & intimidation. It's no coincidence when we really needed to be physical in the last 2 Grey Cups to win late in the fourth quarter, we couldn't. 

31 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What makes you think Brown would continue to play at a high level on another team? I don't think he's ready to qb a CFL team just yet. Nick Arbuckle should have stayed in Calgary one more season to continue learning under Dave Dickenson. 

What makes you think he wouldn't? I don't know for sure if he will but the only way to find out is for him to leave.  If he can't cut it as a starting QB, it's better for us that he fails for another team.

The team around him will definitely make a difference, as it would for any QB (see Zach's record in Sask), which is why he should avoid Ottawa.

Arbuckle got exposed as a product of the system, one more year in Calgary would have been fine for the Stamps but I don't think his career turns out much different.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

really curious about what the LB salaries are.... I was definitely unaware (if) Bighill is making "top 3" money at his position. 

3rd highest paid LB and highest paid MLB.

Only Judge and McManis made more.  Henoc and Chris Ackie could have made more after bonuses but did not.

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/22/the-cfls-15-highest-paid-linebackers-for-the-2023-cfl-season/

17 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

What makes you think he wouldn't? I don't know for sure if he will but the only way to find out is for him to leave.  If he can't cut it as a starting QB, it's better for us that he fails for another team.

The team around him will definitely make a difference, as it would for any QB (see Zach's record in Sask), which is why he should avoid Ottawa.

Arbuckle got exposed as a product of the system, one more year in Calgary would have been fine for the Stamps but I don't think his career turns out much different.

Arbuckle was viewed as The Next Big Thing & instead he got caught up in the CFL rollercoaster going from team to team. Wasn't he cut & traded 3 times in one yera a few seasons ago? Taken advantage by lousy Me First coaches like Chris Jones. He was spit out & chewed up. He never recovered. I think he left Calgary in the same manner Brown will be leaving Winnipeg. Going to another sub par team for way more money.

I noticed the Stamps never took Arbuckle back when they needed a qb & he was available. He may have burned some bridges on the way out of Calgary thinking he was better than he really was. Living here, that was the impression he left. That he was too good to back up Bo Levi Mitchell & there was no way he was ever coming back to be a #2 qb. I hope that's not the case here with Brown. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Hamilton already has a good young qb in Powell. No guarantee that Brown would be the starter in Hamilton. Corey Mace has committed to Trevor Harris. Dave Dickenson isn't ready to give up on Maier just yet. If Brown is stupid enough to sign with the RedBlacks then he'll wreck his career. He'll just become another Nick Arbuckle. He'll become another human punching bag like Michael Penix was last night playing for Ottawa. For Brown's sake, I hope he stays out of that situation.  Pickings are slim for Brown right now unless one of the CFL head coaches wants to shake things up. 

I don't think Brown will wreck his career if he signs with Ottawa, especially if he only signs a 2 year contract.  He's not a raw rookie and shouldn't be discouraged if he ends up with a sub .500 record on a poor or improving team.  It's a learning experience and many mature QB's have been through multiple losing seasons and gone on to thrive afterward.  It comes down to a QB having confidence in their abilities and eventually finding a team with the right players and coaching staff to play competitive football.

6 hours ago, Mark F said:

my guess is Brown goes to Calgary.

Maier wont win grey cups. Brown  might. 

and nothing wrong with being a qb for Dave Dickensen.

calgary has good receivers. and a ground game.

probably the best spot right now career wise.

Dave Dickenson saying Stamps will be more active in FA than they have in seasons past, so Dru Brown could be on their radar.

“Everyone’s talking certain (positions), but we’re looking, we have to. Then we have to coach better and we have to find ways to keep improving because if we don’t, that’s not how you get back to playing the type of football that we want to play. We were 6-12 last year, so we need to we need to be a better team from top to bottom.”

Normally smaller movers in the free agent market, Dickenson said that’s not necessarily going to be the case in 2024, as he shifts into his second season as the team’s GM. There’s still just over a month for teams to try to extend the contracts of their pending free agents, which makes for a cloudy picture of what the actual market might look like when it opens on Feb. 13. It’s something he and the Stamps are watching closely.

“I think when you didn’t have your best year, I think you should be a little more active,” Dickenson said. “We’ll see how many of the guys that we’re targeting make it free agency and we’ll see if we can find a deal.”

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

He was the third highest, but that was only 165k. LBs aren’t paid as much as other position groups.

lol. In what world were the Als the best team in the league last year?

Were the bombers the best team in 2019? No.

It doesn't matter who "the best" is.

What matters is the championship.

The last two years has shown that the championship pedigree isn't there. That's why I'm reticent over the commitment to that core. 

Edited by Dr Zaius

33 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I don't think Brown will wreck his career if he signs with Ottawa, especially if he only signs a 2 year contract.  He's not a raw rookie and shouldn't be discouraged if he ends up with a sub .500 record on a poor or improving team.  It's a learning experience and many mature QB's have been through multiple losing seasons and gone on to thrive afterward.  It comes down to a QB having confidence in their abilities and eventually finding a team with the right players and coaching staff to play competitive football.

Disagree. Look at the "promising" young qbs that Ottawa has absolutely wrecked in the last few years.. Nick Arbuckle, Caleb Evans, Dustin Crum. They'll eat him up & spit him out as well. 

5 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Were the bombers the best team in 2019? No.

It doesn't matter who "the best" is.

What matters is the championship.

The last two years has shown that the championship pedigree isn't there. That's why I'm reticent over the commitment to that core. 

Losing Mack is devastating for the Als.