2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

3 hours ago, Booch said:

here here!

that decision came from above MOS

Roll your eyes all u want @Jesse but it did

Osh doesn't make the decisions on getting rid of staff....plus he has a hard enough time sitting and underperforming player...or replacing a useless one with an actual one with use and upside

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Booch said:

Osh doesn't make the decisions on getting rid of staff....plus he has a hard enough time sitting and underperforming player...or replacing a useless one with an actual one with use and upside

You seem to be very black and white person. But this is a shades of grey decision.

MOS didn't wake up one morning and fire Boudreau all on his own. But neither did Walters. They did their evaluations, had a conversation, and came to a decision.

If you want to sit there and tell everyone that MOS has zero input on his own staff and I will absolutely roll my eyes at you. It is simply another case of you manipulating every comment and piece of news into the exact same criticism over and over and over. 

11 hours ago, Booch said:

Nothing wrong with Jeffcoat...we need a rotational end....we had none on roster but 2 guys on PR who would have done well....In my looks at practice I think Garbutt is the best of him and Haba....and Haba is really good, and if he was allowed on the roster after Injury, and allowed ro grow and learn....would have been a key piece down the stretch...but alas...we know why that didnt happen.

I'll say again as in a previous comment...Cole should be given every opp to lock down the Sam

We need jeffcoat healthy for the play offs, the mid stretch and ld. At this point I don’t expect him to be healthy half to two thirds of the year. But he’s such a monster when he is healthy. With that ir money off the cap jj is actually a bargain for the stretch and play offs. 
 We need to focus on developing the rotational guys and stick to a roster that allows them to stay on. Mysterious injury aside, Habba should’ve been on the active roster all year. Should never have seen the pr. 

Love Cole coming back. That kids got a bright future. I love the aggression he plays with, and his athleticism really shows on the field. Some guys who are freaks like that just look slow to react on the field, not Cole.

We all talk a lot about the depth and Canadians, and rotation that made our D great. But the most under rated factor imo was the versatility. Biggie could take a deep zone from mlb depth, Willy could drop back/swat passes/and play inside on cheetah sets, guys like Hansen and kongbo could stuff the run inside out in cheetah or 4-3 and get some decent pressure, stove was a nose but also a monster inside pressure machine, ba was the best cover s in ages, but also a monster in the run game. All our dbs could tackle solo or blitz and get pressure too. We had multiple guys who could play multiple positions in the secondary and kyrie could play multiple lber spots and fill basically any role you needed. 

we could run any thing from any set or front and execute simple to exotic looks on short notice.  
 Cole has that exact kind of potential utility. That’s what we really need more in our young guys. The ability and willingness to go out side the norm and the comfort zone and do things that prevent the O from getting comfortable. 

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

You seem to be very black and white person. But this is a shades of grey decision.

MOS didn't wake up one morning and fire Boudreau all on his own. But neither did Walters. They did their evaluations, had a conversation, and came to a decision.

If you want to sit there and tell everyone that MOS has zero input on his own staff and I will absolutely roll my eyes at you. It is simply another case of you manipulating every comment and piece of news into the exact same criticism over and over and over. 

The guy is nauseating after a while. Give it a rest, dude. We've seen several coordinators come and go in MOS time..  total eye roller 

Edited by CodyT

19 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

The biggie situation is probably more in line with can we get similar play or a bit better at a cheaper price?

And I think there are a few vets that the team will look at via that lense.

15 hours ago, 17to85 said:

This is exactly what it is. When 100% healthy Bighill is still an OK player (but not the MODP type guy he used to be). If he is in anyway not 100% then his effectiveness drops off a ton. I'm OK with him as a cheaper vet but as a highly paid important cog? Not sure that's the best use of cap.

Biggie's salary is not that high compared to a lot of other positions. 

14 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Guys, I love Bighill. He’s been an all-timer here. It’s time to replace him now, it just is. Financially, and on-field it’s time. 

He could be 48 years old and some posters here would still think he can provide valuable reps. 
At a certain point, successful clubs move on. 

Sure. Who you replacing him with? Change for the sake of change is just stupid. Put out a candidate that would provide the upgrade you want and we can discuss. You don't dump an all star MLB just because you think it's time to do so without a surefire replacement. 

Edited by GCn20

7 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Sure. Who you replacing him with? Change for the sake of change is just stupid. Put out a candidate that would provide the upgrade you want and we can discuss. You don't dump an all star MLB just because you think it's time to do so without a surefire replacement. 

That's not my job.

9 hours ago, Booch said:

You don't know that. That is strictly your opinion and a very jaded one at that.

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

Yea. I don't think it is within the realm of reality that MOS had no input into his coaching staff. That's just a crazy reach right there.

11 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

That's not my job.

I was referencing Jonny actually but since you responded with a counter that it is also not our job to judge a player's worth for coming back. If someone suggests we should cut bait on Adam Bighill after an all star season it is not unreasonable at all to ask who they think should replace him. Highly important little consideration that MUST go into it. Find someone else is not an answer. Cutting bait on veterans needs to happen for sure at some point, is it that time now? Highly debatable, depends entirely on who you gonna dress instead. Can't cut bait on an allstar MLB unless you got a guy that can play at that level. Do we have that guy? I don't see him on our roster. 

Look, I'm neither for or against keeping Bighill. If we can get a guy that replaces his play without constituting any drop off sign me up. However, Jonny was suggesting we just cut bait on Biggie and let the chips fall where they may.....and I disagree with that.

Edited by GCn20

58 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I was referencing Jonny actually but since you responded with a counter that it is also not our job to judge a player's worth for coming back. If someone suggests we should cut bait on Adam Bighill after an all star season it is not unreasonable at all to ask who they think should replace him. Highly important little consideration that MUST go into it. Find someone else is not an answer. Cutting bait on veterans needs to happen for sure at some point, is it that time now? Highly debatable, depends entirely on who you gonna dress instead. Can't cut bait on an allstar MLB unless you got a guy that can play at that level. Do we have that guy? I don't see him on our roster. 

Look, I'm neither for or against keeping Bighill. If we can get a guy that replaces his play without constituting any drop off sign me up. However, Jonny was suggesting we just cut bait on Biggie and let the chips fall where they may.....and I disagree with that.

Well you quoted me in that comment. And we essentially agree. I said it comes down to $$ and effectiveness. There's only a few guys who know how they will work that evaluation. I think solid replacements are likely already on the roster, and I wouldn't be upset if they moved on. But I'd also understand if they decided to not move on.

21 hours ago, GCn20 said:

His peers voted him CFLPA allstar last year. The guy is still balling. Could he use some platooning....probably couldn't hurt but he's still got game or at least a majority of the guys he plays against think so and I am willing to take their word for it over fans who may or may not have a full understanding of what he bring to the table. Ideally I'd love to see the Bombers bring in his eventual replacement this offseason and gradually work him into a platoon with Bighill to keep him fresh.

I think people are still bitter about Bighill playing in the Grey Cup when he clearly had no business being out there....as positions evolve, we're seeing less and less need for a "traditional" middle line backer, and more just two LB/versatile athlete type players... I think we would be just fine with Cole, Clements, and Wilson as a primary rotation of LBers... but I do expect to see Bighill back in a prominent role next year

FINALLY....someone (could be Osh) recognized a deficit in our return game and special teams period....Long over due and if you go back to our recent Cup wins you can certainly see why we've made the change ...The downfield coverage on punts was crap in 23'....and I don't know why we brought Exume in to shore things up as that was a fail....Field position was bloody gawd awful at times during last season...We were constantly starting in a hole offensively while the opposition was scrimaging on or about the 50....That had to change....so long Boudreau...good luck in your future endeavours

I don't know what makes Exume a fail, he wound up with the second-most ST tackles on the team in an abbreviated season, ahead of Brian Cole and behind Nick Hallett. One guy doesn't make or break things... although I thought the absence of Hansen was a big part of the early struggles, when he returned he was basically a non-factor (0 STTs by season end). The punter we were trotting out all season wasn't making things easy for anyone, he got off to an iffy start and didn't seem to improve at all as the season went on.

I think coaching changes are not great mid-season. Good to wait til the off-season and go into the new season fresh.

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

FINALLY....someone (could be Osh) recognized a deficit in our return game and special teams period....Long over due and if you go back to our recent Cup wins you can certainly see why we've made the change ...The downfield coverage on punts was crap in 23'....and I don't know why we brought Exume in to shore things up as that was a fail....Field position was bloody gawd awful at times during last season...We were constantly starting in a hole offensively while the opposition was scrimaging on or about the 50....That had to change....so long Boudreau...good luck in your future endeavours

Can't pin that on Exume, he was second to Hallett for ST tackles with 17.

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Well you quoted me in that comment. And we essentially agree. I said it comes down to $$ and effectiveness. There's only a few guys who know how they will work that evaluation. I think solid replacements are likely already on the roster, and I wouldn't be upset if they moved on. But I'd also understand if they decided to not move on.

I actually didn't quote you. I quoted you and commented then quoted Jonny and commented and the posts were merged. 

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Exactly right. Let's wait and see what we got and what's available first before throwing out a very good MLB based on the fact he was injured in the Grey Cup.

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

You don't know that. That is strictly your opinion and a very jaded one at that.

Yea. I don't think it is within the realm of reality that MOS had no input into his coaching staff. That's just a crazy reach right there.

you all be surprised what I know...but since its so nauseating I will stop posting.....the humour of many here has more than satiated me for a while

21 minutes ago, Booch said:

you all be surprised what I know...but since its so nauseating I will stop posting.....the humour of many here has more than satiated me for a while

I never called it nauseating and have no doubt that you have some connections in regard to inside info. However, you will never convince me that you have any insider knowledge of how and who makes executive decisions in regards to the Bombers front office. They are a closed shell and notoriously good at keeping things behind closed doors. Booch, everyone here values your input a lot. It's just that your criticisms have been heard, acknowledged, and yet you keep repeating them over and over again. No ones arguing with you. Your point was made and you keep going on about it. You went on to try and paint MOS with a bad brush when he made one of the changes he needed to make. That's not fair criticism anymore, that's bias.

Edited by GCn20

6 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I’d be fine with Cole getting a shot to play in the middle. He can go sideline to sideline, and tackle RB’s consistently. Maybe Gauthier on obvious running plays. 

Could we use Cole to fill a gap like Biggie does? No, but I think his skill set would more than make up for it in other areas. 

You don’t need a 235 pound MLB in on every down anymore. 

8 hours ago, Jesse said:

It is beyond tiresome. 

I respect Mike and his opinions - but he lit this fire and some people just form their entire view around it now. 

4 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Can't pin that on Exume, he was second to Hallett for ST tackles with 17.

I know he was brought in to shore up a bad situation BUT ... Exume's arrival didn't make that much dif. in our quality of 'overall' special teams effort....Individually he was one of the better players BUT it did not improve our situation as a whole.....Result is that we're looking for a special teams coach ...Hopefully it's Miller as this guy knows that part of the game inside and out

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

I know he was brought in to shore up a bad situation BUT ... Exume's arrival didn't make that much dif. in our quality of 'overall' special teams effort....Individually he was one of the better players BUT it did not improve our situation as a whole.....Result is that we're looking for a special teams coach ...Hopefully it's Miller as this guy knows that part of the game inside and out

Mike Miller would be an excellent choice if that is what he wants to do.

10 hours ago, GCn20 said:

There are some good MLB's coming loose in free agency. Guys that would be more than just a replacement for Biggie & all in their primes. I'm hoping we sign one. 

Tre Watson is healed up and looking for work according to 3DN. The day 1 starter at MLB in Montreal back in 2022, seemed pretty solid until he was released after an "incident" with the coaches... he claimed something like he was just being a vocal outspoken guy trying his hardest to win and people he was critical of took it personally... major 'when keeping it real goes wrong' vibes but could still be worth a looksee

9 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I never called it nauseating and have no doubt that you have some connections in regard to inside info. However, you will never convince me that you have any insider knowledge of how and who makes executive decisions in regards to the Bombers front office. They are a closed shell and notoriously good at keeping things behind closed doors. Booch, everyone here values your input a lot. It's just that your criticisms have been heard, acknowledged, and yet you keep repeating them over and over again. No ones arguing with you. Your point was made and you keep going on about it. You went on to try and paint MOS with a bad brush when he made one of the changes he needed to make. That's not fair criticism anymore, that's bias.

Man, the egos around this place... We just lost one of the best posters here who is knowledgeable about the game because some people just don't know when to stop. Congrats to everyone involved. 

18 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Man, the egos around this place... We just lost one of the best posters here who is knowledgeable about the game because some people just don't know when to stop. Congrats to everyone involved. 

There was only one person with an ego who didn’t know when to stop, imo.