2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

7 hours ago, Mike said:

I’m getting a little tired of seeing us sign guys we’ve already had up here before. We’re not in the position to be bringing in guys who aren’t ready to compete for a spot.

Agreed, sort of. 
A possible angle is; They were ready before and we didn’t use them. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

couple of things... 

-I think it's getting harder and harder to convince players to come north... they're going to wait for NFL PR spots or maybe even the USFL/XFL league.... so it's tougher finding new talent to bring in

-Matthew Schiltz is a poor man's Dakota Prukop......and I don't particularly care for Dakota Prukop. 

On the other hand, there will be 8 less USFL, XFL teams in 2024.

52 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’m getting a little tired of seeing us sign guys we’ve already had up here before. We’re not in the position to be bringing in guys who aren’t ready to compete for a spot.

Isn’t this a pretty normal thing for teams to do?

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Interesting situation in Ottawa, they currently have 6 QB's listed on their roster, including Masoli and F.A. Arbuckle, if they intend to go after Brown they'll have to shed some serious weight.  I think they'll want to hold onto Crumm for future development but they may end up dumping Pigrome or Tyrie Adams along with Masoli and Arbuckle.  

Adams is probably best of bunch...if they dump him I'd welcome him here instantly 

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Interesting situation in Ottawa, they currently have 6 QB's listed on their roster, including Masoli and F.A. Arbuckle, if they intend to go after Brown they'll have to shed some serious weight.  I think they'll want to hold onto Crumm for future development but they may end up dumping Pigrome or Tyrie Adams along with Masoli and Arbuckle.  

They will dump all of them but Crum and Adams.  Go after a veteran in free agency/trade.

Shiltz and Dolegala would be top of my list if we need a #2 QB of the guys who are pending free agents.  Not counting Brown, the rest have no ability to pass the ball at all.

4 hours ago, Jesse said:

That’s how we developed Brown in the first place. We’re paying Zach too much to overly invest in the depth.

Prukop + rookie is what I’m expecting.

Zach was 32 & close to 33 when Brown got here. Now, he'll be 35 this season. Those 3 years are huge. if we let Brown go & don't sign someone who is capable of helping us win if Zach goes down then we as an organization deserve everything bad that happens. It'll be a bad move & at some point we'll pay dearly for that decision. 

50 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

They will dump all of them but Crum and Adams.  Go after a veteran in free agency/trade.

Shiltz and Dolegala would be top of my list if we need a #2 QB of the guys who are pending free agents.  Not counting Brown, the rest have no ability to pass the ball at all.

Some of the back ups in this league are dogs. 

4 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

If Brown leaves and Dane Evans would sign a deal with us similar to what he played for in BC last year, I'd take him.

Buck and our OL could be very good for Dane. Thought he looked like his old self in limited reps last year. I'd be down with that.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Buck and our OL could be very good for Dane. Thought he looked like his old self in limited reps last year. I'd be down with that.

Evans threw for 829 yards, threw 4 TDs & 6 Ints & had a 68.9% completion average with a QBR of 81.7.

Schilz played in 11 games & threw for 1,556 yards. He tossed 7 TD passes & 5 interceptions. Schilz had a 67.1% completion average with a QBR of 99.8. 

The wildcard here is Dane Evans state of mind. He's fragile & goes to pieces when the going gets tough. He also demoted himself last season to sit on the bench in BC. He was no challenge to Vernon Adams. How many starting qbs would say to a team, "Please sit me. I'll take a major pay cut & be happy to sit on the bench." That's no leader.

Why would any head coach want a qb like Evans with so many question marks as a player? Schilz was playing well before he got hurt. He came back & struggled which happens a lot after an injury. Any momentum he had as a qb was lost. He's the better qb of the two from what I've seen. I'd rather have him backing up Zach than Evans. 

40 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Zach was 32 & close to 33 when Brown got here. Now, he'll be 35 this season. Those 3 years are huge. if we let Brown go & don't sign someone who is capable of helping us win if Zach goes down then we as an organization deserve everything bad that happens. It'll be a bad move & at some point we'll pay dearly for that decision. 

Some of the back ups in this league are dogs. 

We’re paying Zach more now than we did then. I don’t think our cap will allow us to spend resources on an experienced #2 and there isn’t anyone in the league who could keep us afloat if Zach was out.

I would much rather our limited resources and time went to someone with a higher ceiling.

29 minutes ago, Jesse said:

We’re paying Zach more now than we did then. I don’t think our cap will allow us to spend resources on an experienced #2 and there isn’t anyone in the league who could keep us afloat if Zach was out.

I would much rather our limited resources and time went to someone with a higher ceiling.

The ceiling quickly becomes the basement if Zach gets hurt & we haven't anyone who is capable of taking his place temporarily. 

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

The ceiling quickly becomes the basement if Zach gets hurt & we haven't anyone who is capable of taking his place temporarily. 

if ZC gets hurt...and its appearing to be lengthy..Immediately he should be parked on the 6 game and if Strev not signed and still looking for opps...You sign him to starter money and deal with things when and if ZC is readyto be back...lain and simple

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yup. But that's just the reality of our team make up and the state of QBing across the league. 

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

if ZC gets hurt...and its appearing to be lengthy..Immediately he should be parked on the 6 game and if Strev not signed and still looking for opps...You sign him to starter money and deal with things when and if ZC is readyto be back...lain and simple

The problem is that bringing in a qb after an injury to the starter means they have to learn the offense & get the timing down with his receivers. We got lucky with Zach in 2019. He was a quick study. Like anything else, a person'e learning curve & how fast a qb picks everthing up is always different. Some people learn faster than others. Some never learn. Meanwhile the season marches on & a playoff berth may be at stake. 

With the slim pickens IF Brown moves on, we better have plan B ....I think if Dru decides he has a better opportunity and cash with another club all the more power to him....Having said that I would hope we make every effort to keep him because his spot on the club is going to be tough to fill.....Streve being available might be a good direction to go but I hear he's been picked up lately in the states and if he's going to go on the 'maybe sign me' circuit in the nfl, he may not be an option

4 hours ago, Jesse said:

Isn’t this a pretty normal thing for teams to do?

Yea..pretty much. You bring guys in late season with the PR expansion and find the ones you want back for camp the next year. I am not sure where Mike thinks we get all these game ready rookies from? Any CFL team might be able to get 1 or 2 a year. The rest need some time.

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Yea..pretty much. You bring guys in late season with the PR expansion and find the ones you want back for camp the next year. I am not sure where Mike thinks we get all these game ready rookies from? Any CFL team might be able to get 1 or 2 a year. The rest need some time.

He's just getting so bitter in his old age. 🤣

58 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The problem is that bringing in a qb after an injury to the starter means they have to learn the offense & get the timing down with his receivers. We got lucky with Zach in 2019. He was a quick study. Like anything else, a person'e learning curve & how fast a qb picks everthing up is always different. Some people learn faster than others. Some never learn. Meanwhile the season marches on & a playoff berth may be at stake. 

Yes generally true...but with our current squad...he has played with them all...and a lot of the playbook is relatively the same ..and we could easily flip back to some older stuff that everyone is familiar with...so that would be the one saving grace there in that situation...and be the one instance where could almost hit ground running

Assuming we can't have Brown / Strev. 

I'd take Shiltz because unlike Evans he at least has some upside and seems to be able to move the ball despite playing on crappy teams.  He's also mobile. 

Who knows maybe if Arbuckle played behind a great o-line and had all star receivers maybe he would thrive here and it would be cheap?  Maybe just bring Piggy back and let him work his magic?

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Assuming we can't have Brown / Strev. 

I'd take Shiltz because unlike Evans he at least has some upside and seems to be able to move the ball despite playing on crappy teams.  He's also mobile. 

Who knows maybe if Arbuckle played behind a great o-line and had all star receivers maybe he would thrive here and it would be cheap?  Maybe just bring Piggy back and let him work his magic?

Arbuckle just makes some of the worst bone eaded decisions throwing the ball as I've ever seen.