Which Vets do we cut next season

Brandon

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

and could have Mason Bennett on defence

To make that all work could be at expense of Bailey...Walker....Kolo...Thomas...The latter 2 which should be a given...Possibly Jeffcoat if we land Bennett.....as we have some talent at DE....If only they would be allowed to get a shot (see u later Jackson fixes that)

I think Fox should be given the opportunity they gave Walker...Walker is solid...Fox can be impactful....

I would hope that we will see a few blue chip DT prospects in camp this year. It was definitely a short coming last year. Walker played well but not great. We need great.

9 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I would hope that we will see a few blue chip DT prospects in camp this year. It was definitely a short coming last year. Walker played well but not great. We need great.

Walker should be in rotation with all the other 3 techs. They still need a true nose type (size and power, I know we mostly don’t use a 30)

3 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Walker should be in rotation with all the other 3 techs. They still need a true nose type (size and power, I know we mostly don’t use a 30)

I'm not saying we dispose of Ricky, but we need that true NT. With the clusterfart that is the XFL/USFL merger cutting most of their teams out there should be a ton of talent now looking for work at every position.

Edited by GCn20

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I'm not saying we dispose of Ricky, but we need that true NT. With the clusterfart that is the XFL/USFL merger cutting most of their teams out there should be a ton of talent now looking for work at every position.

not bringing in at lest 2 legit NT or at least beastly DT's to compete in camp....legitimately compete against incumbents would be a recruitment failure, as that would be 3 yrs now running ignoring a glaring hole....much like the Rider woes on o-line

8 hours ago, GCn20 said:

If we had a player like Stove the past two years, I think we'd be talking about going for a record tying 5th straight GC. Instead, our D took a hit for some reason Walters, Osh & Hall never thought it a priority to upgrade our interior DL. I never understood the logic of doing absolutely nothing. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If we had a player like Stove the past two years, I think we'd be talking about going for a record tying 5th straight GC. Instead, our D took a hit for some reason Walters, Osh & Hall never thought it a priority to upgrade our interior DL. I never understood the logic of doing absolutely nothing. 

With the XFL and USFL merging and eliminating a lot of their teams, there should be a bunch of NT types on the market. Those leagues favored the big NTs and now a bunch have been freed up.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

With the XFL and USFL merging and eliminating a lot of their teams, there should be a bunch of NT types on the market. Those leagues favored the big NTs and now a bunch have been freed up.

There were free agents we could have signed but we didn't. We could have made a trade. We've done nothing.

37 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

There were free agents we could have signed but we didn't. We could have made a trade. We've done nothing.

I’m honestly getting tired of seeing Stove’s name over and over. He’s done nothing but be injured since he’s left while we’ve been the top rated defence every year.

we’ve done nothing. Jesus. How can you even make that claim?

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

I’m honestly getting tired of seeing Stove’s name over and over. He’s done nothing but be injured since he’s left while we’ve been the top rated defence every year.

Need to change his nick-name to "Broken Stove"

19 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Jessie. I mean, c'mon man. Do you really think I was talking about Stevie Richardson himself? I wasn't as he has been out since the end of 2021 with two torn achilles on the same foot. Instead, I was talking about a suitable replacement via trade or free agency as our interior DL had no push nor could we sustain pressure with just our Front 7 like we could in 2019 & 2021. So, before your high blood pressure gives you a stroke read what I said over. I said. "If we had a player like Stevie Richardson"....

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Walters is the most proactive GM in the league. He's trying. What we're already seeing early in the offseason is that the XFL/USFL merger is leaving less options for players and more are seeing CFL as a viable one. The CFL has had a hard time bringing up neg list recruits in recent years because of the plethora of jobs available south of the border. I have a feeling this year is gonna be a better recruiting year in recent memory.

Edited by Noeller

9 hours ago, Jesse said:

It's not stove persay, cause before him we had Nevis... we just really need that big strong as an ox body at DT to disrupt the interior of the LOS. Haven't had that since Stove left.

27 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It's not stove persay, cause before him we had Nevis... we just really need that big strong as an ox body at DT to disrupt the interior of the LOS. Haven't had that since Stove left.

Or we had Poop....Brandon Bryant...Bryant turner...guys who were hard to handle one on one

15 hours ago, Jesse said:

I think most on here, lament the loss of a dominant interior lineman when he played, whether that was stove or nevis. I dont recall anyone calling for the Bombers to sign him. 

59 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

I think most on here, lament the loss of a dominant interior lineman when he played, whether that was stove or nevis. I dont recall anyone calling for the Bombers to sign him. 

Thanks for clearing that up. I never said we should sign Richardson who is trying a comeback with the Lions in 2024.  I said we need another player as effective as Richardson was for us. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Perhaps younger and hall have some differences in their approach 

perhaps DL and DT in particular is one 

I think the approach is we need someone playing near the minimum contract value at that position.

So while we’ll continue to scout the position, finding that impact player is difficult. In the meantime, we continue to have a top defence.

On 2024-01-19 at 5:22 PM, Booch said:

not bringing in at lest 2 legit NT or at least beastly DT's to compete in camp....legitimately compete against incumbents would be a recruitment failure, as that would be 3 yrs now running ignoring a glaring hole....much like the Rider woes on o-line

A glaring hole? Casey Sayles was one of the best DTs in the league in '22 and was again in '23 after the Bombers let him walk. Even last year it's overblown to say DT was a glaring hole.

Should they have just handed Ricky the starting DT position with minimal competition? Definitely not, but even then Ricky performed well in '23. Teams look for gap shooting 3-techs out of their Americans and have their Canadian DTs work the 1-tech spot and plug against the run.

Not an active poster on here but read a lot on the team and closely watch/record every game and frankly disagree with you here, though I do respect your opinion

1 hour ago, bluedawg said:

A glaring hole? Casey Sayles was one of the best DTs in the league in '22 and was again in '23 after the Bombers let him walk. 

LOL!!

The Bombers have not had a true DT since Stove. Sayles and Walker are "adequate"....

What made Stove a "true DT" and Sayles and Walker not? Stove was the best DT in the league at the time... Sayles was playing at a near All-star level for us and then was an All-star as soon as he left and got more shine on a team without Willie and Jackson overshadowing him...

Ricky is not quite as good as either Sayles or Stove. I'm not disagreeing with anyone there. But he's a solid starter in this league, not a guy that was hurting the defense.

I'm not saying Ricky couldn't be improved upon, just that I think it's ridiculous to say we need a "true DT" just because we were so spoiled with Stove and nobody has been able to replicate his production in the last few years. We need what everyone needs, a stud pass rushing american defensive tackle who generates pressure because he is too athletic for slower Canadian interior linemen to handle. Ricky does that, just not as well as the aforementioned players

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Sayles is closer to Walker than he is to Stove (or at least what Stove used to be).

Neither guy is a liability, just not as good as what we had so we should be looking to improve because we know it's possible. This was Walker's first year as a starter so we'll see how much he progresses.

Walker was a poor man's Sayles I think. Nevis was a poor man's Stove. But the two pairings should not be mentioned in the same breath.