Which Vets do we cut next season

Brandon

42 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Man you make a lot of excuses for everyone. Bomber have been a good team for a lot of years,  but you can't just sit on your ass and expect it to continue. They gambled hard on rolling with an aging roster last season, it almost paid off but in the end did not. They can't do that again. Need a serious infusion of talented impactful youth in a lotnof areas or we will just watch it slip further and further away. 

I never once stated we should run it back again. I find it weird that you are the one telling me I am making excuses when you are blaming coaching for players mental mistakes.

35 minutes ago, Booch said:

we need to add some hungry new blood to the core thats still practical keeping....guys who havnt been there before and want it bad

For sure. Would love to see a couple vets shuffled out for equal younger talent. As long as they are FIFO.

3 hours ago, Booch said:

we need to add some hungry new blood to the core thats still practical keeping....guys who havnt been there before and want it bad

Yup need guys who can once in a while step up and make a big play.  Outside of Brady it felt like the team as a whole was just going through the motions.    

It would be nice if they could recruit some new guys who can challenge vets for spots.    We need better depth on this team. 

Maybe O'Shea can find a Navy Seal / Delta Force / JTF agent who can push Jackson for that desired bench warmer position :) 

On 2023-12-05 at 11:46 AM, GCn20 said:

Oops you are right. My bad. Must be PTSD

So, you're not always right. Will wonders never cease? ;)

23 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Yup need guys who can once in a while step up and make a big play.  Outside of Brady it felt like the team as a whole was just going through the motions.    

It would be nice if they could recruit some new guys who can challenge vets for spots.    We need better depth on this team. 

Maybe O'Shea can find a Navy Seal / Delta Force / JTF agent who can push Jackson for that desired bench warmer position :) 

It would be nice if O'Shea answered to someone for his roster goofs & we got a new DC. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

40 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, you're not always right. Will wonders never cease? ;)

It would be nice if O'Shea answered to someone for his roster goofs & we got a new DC. 

I was just as surprised at being wrong as you were. Lol

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Is that not part of the coaches job to ensure that players are mentally prepared? 

No..not really. You are reaching now. The only person that can make sure a player is mentally focused and physically prepared enough is the player himself.

Edited by GCn20

26 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Which players stood out in the Grey Cup for you outside of Brady?   Willie and maybe Lawler.... anyone else?  

That's not what we are talking about. 

I am taking umbrage with you painting the entire team (sans Brady) as "going through the motions". That is shitty talk right there. You can isolate different players and certain plays and all that- this is a discussion forum and all... but man, to say that our team didn't give a great effort? You cheapen their accomplishments. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Which players stood out in the Grey Cup for you outside of Brady?   Willie and maybe Lawler.... anyone else?  

Holm with the pick was a high point for me. The goal line stand was a pretty sweet team effort. Not saying it justifies his rostering but seeing the seal lead blocking on Brady's first TD was fun given the circumstances. Lawler did come to play and did all he could.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

So then why do we have coaches? 

Apparently to makes excuses be scapegoats for star players laying eggs in championship games

Edited by MOBomberFan
correction

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

Players play. Coaches coach. If I'm personally not feeling it that day ain't no way a Coach changing my mind. 

I'm of two minds.

Our players are professionals and it's their job to bring it even if they're not feeling it. And part of why players in this room love MOS is because he gives them the freedom to do that. That's what FIFO is, the ability for the team to regulate itself and get rid of players who are unable to do that.

Now, that said, it seems like we're missing the emotional element that can give players an extra boost in certain moments. 

13 hours ago, 17to85 said:

So then why do we have coaches? 

Seriously? you think that the sole function of a coach is to make sure his players are focused on game day? That is literally on each player to do themselves. All a coach can do is help set up a foundation of sound preparation for the players. Nerves, road games, perhaps a very weird Grey Cup week schedule, can all have an effect on every players mental focus come game day. Some way more than others. There is little a coach can do about that other than to give advice to try mitigate those effects. When mental errors are made by veterans it isn't due to coaching or lack thereof and it happens to every player at times. The game moves fast, guys make mistakes. The best team will be the one that makes the fewest. On Grey Cup day that was Montreal.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

The mental game also includes being sound in their assignments and knowing what to do on the field. 

Sure. are you suggesting that players in our systems don't know their assignments? Sorry, not buying that. Guys can misread a play but to a man our defence is one of the smartest and best prepared to assignments in the league. When our guys bust it isn't because they didn't know what to do on the field. That's just silly. This is pro ball.

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

I'm of two minds.

Our players are professionals and it's their job to bring it even if they're not feeling it. And part of why players in this room love MOS is because he gives them the freedom to do that. That's what FIFO is, the ability for the team to regulate itself and get rid of players who are unable to do that.

Now, that said, it seems like we're missing the emotional element that can give players an extra boost in certain moments. 

It's quite possible some of our guys were too amped as well and that can lead to costly errors. It's a fine line. Guys will over run plays, etc when that happens. I can guarantee that there isn't a single guy in the Bombers dressing room even for one second thinking that roster management or playbook prep cost them the game. They know better.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You know what else leads to errors? Lack of depth. Which is a coaching issue. 

There were a lot of failures in the Grey Cup game, but to try and say it was just because the players were having an off day is a load of crap. There's a lot of things that go into that.

But I don't think anyone's saying that. We're just acknowledging the multiple things that went wrong instead of saying it was solely on one thing. 

13 minutes ago, Jesse said:

But I don't think anyone's saying that. We're just acknowledging the multiple things that went wrong instead of saying it was solely on one thing. 

Bingo. None of what went wrong in the Grey Cup can be summed up to one thing. Some mistakes were more costly than others for sure, and in my estimation the most costly errors of the day had nothing to do with roster management, but that doesn't mean roster management didn't have some effect on the day. I am just of the firm belief that the roster we dressed that day should have/could have won that game and am not willing to assign the blame for our loss on it. Would proper roster management possibly make our game a little easier....possibly...we'll never know. All I know is that the team we fielded was certainly capable of winning that game and I have tried to point out the reasons why I believe that. My main reason for that belief is that the 3 big moments of that game that turned the tide imo were the Collaros interception, and that was on Collaros no one else, the Brady fumble which was really just a great defensive play by Montreal, and the cover 0 call at the end of the game and a few other really head scratching D play calls to be honest. 

I have not let the coaches off the hook at any point, I strongly believe that Buck and Hall were outperformed by their counterparts on the day. and I completely agree with the criticism of the roster management. Where I differ from 17to85 is simply in the effect of each mistake on our chances of winning. 

Edited by GCn20