Call it what you want … you need to move on from Collaros

Mike

Just now, Yourface said:

I don’t think the punter was the problem this year. His average of 47.2 is not far off the 47.6 that led the league among full-time punters, and I bet his net yardage ranks even higher. He has a weird technique for sure, but it’s pretty effective. As far as special teams go, I think the biggest issue was d’Castillo’s distance on kickoffs.

I'm not saying he was the problem. I'm saying him being our nominee for rookie of the year is indicative of the talent we brought in the rest of the team this year. Even if your punter is outstanding, it looks bad on your crop of rookies if he's the best thing you got for ROY.

3 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Please.  The defence was horrible. They were playing against an inept offence and we should have held them under 20 points for sure. The offence wasn’t great but did do some good things on the ground against a good defence. The passing game was largely non existent.

I mean we played against someone significantly worse than Matt Nichols right guys? 

This was 50/50.

Yes, the D should have shut down Fajardo, but the offence (AGAIN) did absolutely nothing.

Also, ST kind of sucked.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

“The offense wasn’t great”

Shoulda stopped right there

All year collaros has been underthrowing deep balls. He had 2 easy touchdowns if he leads his receivers.  Instead one was an interception and another knocked away. 

He doesn't handle pressure in the pocket well anymore either. He ran himself into several sacks. Guy has been figured out at this point. If not for Brady dragging this team along it would have been obvious earlier.

Offense put up one scoring drive in a half and tried to coast.  Most embarrassing thing in this game is us running the play clock down to zip from 10 mins in both down 4, then up 3, and then giving up the final possession of the game to win it.

Just poorly coached all the way around.  F for MOS, F for Hall, C- for Buck Pierce.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

All year collaros has been underthrowing deep balls. He had 2 easy touchdowns if he leads his receivers.  Instead one was an interception and another knocked away. 

He doesn't handle pressure in the pocket well anymore either. He ran himself into several sacks. Guy has been figured out at this point. If not for Brady dragging this team along it would have been obvious earlier.

Woli underthrow o the corner was a tough one to watch.

He's been running into the pressure a lot lately, he Faj'd more than Faj did as the season went on

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Now that my attention has been drawn to it, it’s kind of hard to ignore, even as much as it disgusts me.

Collaros is Fajardo.

Ok, so I said the same thing during the game; but it's obviously not true in general.

He was playing like it tonight,

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Offense put up one scoring drive in a half and tried to coast.  Most embarrassing thing in this game is us running the play clock down to zip from 10 mins in both down 4, then up 3, and then giving up the final possession of the game to win it.

Just poorly coached all the way around.  F for MOS, F for Hall, C- for Buck Pierce.

Just a grand pi$$off from our coaching... who took a rolls royce of a team and basically ditched it...Am I bitter....well you only get so many kicks at the can ...   and as far as I'm concerened we have blown 2 of them.....Gotta feel sorry  for the players who expected a big pay day and a ring and watched it vanish  

32 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I don't know...in these playoffs we've burned a ton of roster spots on guys who clearly were significantly injured to the point they could barely function in a CFL game (Bighill GC, Grant both games, Schoen)...and Jackson, and McCrae who we didn't even see.

I'd argue if we actually used all 46 guys we might get something from it.

We've done nothing to backfill a bunch of spots where guys have been banged up and worse.

Returner this year might be one of the best case studies.  Like did we keep McCrae around because he's shaped closest to Demski, or could we have worked to bring in an actual returner in the summer when trying out some guys wouldn't be fatal?  Montreal did it and that guy returned a kick for TD in East Final, got a couple decent ones on us in the GC. 

Canadian LB another spot we just quit on.  Eventually got guys back, but can't say didn't affect our cover teams almost all year.

Thing is we brought in lots of guys and some looked good in their action but mos defaults to his guys come hell or high water. I don’t think it’s a talent in problem at all. 
 Though our drafting had become an issue with too many kick cover guys who haven’t even translated in that role. 

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Now that my attention has been drawn to it, it’s kind of hard to ignore, even as much as it disgusts me.

Collaros is Fajardo.

Have started to wonder about injuries taking toll.  Obviously have long-term history of head injuries and one this year (yeah they called it "neck" sure sure), plus haven't seen a whole bunch of mobility/scrambling since the ankle stuff from the 22 West Final.

Biggest issue I have with Collaros though is that inability to get into quick game.  And maybe it's a coaching issue too because he's shown he can do it if they get into tempo/no-huddle looks.

The over-reliance on getting the ball downfield is arguably worse as a gameplan than the opposite of that short quick passing game.  Ideally you have the ability to do both if they are running coverages taking the downfield stuff away.  We've struggled to get into hot stuff since the Dane Evans game in 21 in Hamilton.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Send him to Ottawa. Get some much needed depth and Ottawa is bad so bot much chance of it coming back to bite us.

I don't know how much we'd actually get but a first round pick in this upcoming draft would be pretty purposeful at this point.  It's a draft full of players and we have a ton of guys who are key over 30 and potentially done.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Have started to wonder about injuries taking toll.  Obviously have long-term history of head injuries and one this year (yeah they called it "neck" sure sure), plus haven't seen a whole bunch of mobility/scrambling since the ankle stuff from the 22 West Final.

Biggest issue I have with Collaros though is that inability to get into quick game.  And maybe it's a coaching issue too because he's shown he can do it if they get into tempo/no-huddle looks.

The over-reliance on getting the ball downfield is arguably worse as a gameplan than the opposite of that short quick passing game.  Ideally you have the ability to do both if they are running coverages taking the downfield stuff away.  We've struggled to get into hot stuff since the Dane Evans game in 21 in Hamilton.

His greatest strength used to be getting free and throwing off the run. Now, for some reason, he always seems to be bumping into his OL. Is her not doing his full drop back?

I know everyone is a MOS hater right now, but I'm kind of blaming Buck's play-calling for the last two Grey Cup losses.