Call it what you want … you need to move on from Collaros

Mike

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I'd say in 3 of our 5 losses not having the DL as a whole with something left in the tank was a major factor (today, Hamilton, Ottawa).  Could make a strong argument for LDC too.

Major difference between how we've run our team previous seasons to this one.

That's true.

But in all of our loses, our O spent a lot of time unable to move the ball.  I have never once walked away from a game feeling that our D was a reason we lost.

Just now, Jesse said:

That's true.

But in all of our loses, our O spent a lot of time unable to move the ball.  I have never once walked away from a game feeling that our D was a reason we lost.

Yeah it's never going to be on one specific factor.  But when you look back and we have multiple guys rostered to do almost or literally nothing but two other rush ends, another 3 tec DT there that compliments Walker perfectly wearing their sweat suits you might go "HOLY HELL WISH WE HAD THOSE GUYS IN THE 4TH QUARTER!"  Some coaches might think that would be more useful than Greg McCrae in a parka over his uniform in a playoff game.

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

These guys ain't getting younger dude. Changes are needed. We are hosting 2025. 

1 minute ago, Stickem said:

well you would be in the minority judging by the feeling shown here tonight

Anything we do is something that Walters has talked about for several years, you move on from guys a few at a time so you DONT have to make big wholesale changes in any given year.

I have always agreed that we need some depth along the DL to keep everyone fresh - but that's not a change in anyone.

Bighill could retire with no worries - but there's no one else on D aging out.

Everyone has an opinion on Zach tonight, but again, no one is really aging out. 

What MAJOR changes is anyone even talking about other that rage posting?

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yeah it's never going to be on one specific factor.  But when you look back and we have multiple guys rostered to do almost or literally nothing but two other rush ends, another 3 tec DT there that compliments Walker perfectly wearing their sweat suits you might go "HOLY HELL WISH WE HAD THOSE GUYS IN THE 4TH QUARTER!"  Some coaches might think that would be more useful than Greg McCrae in a parka over his uniform in a playoff game.

For sure, it's just not n=1 like some people like to think. 

Yes, a rotation likely keeps our best players fresh for those moments, but still doesn't guarantee anything. Especially if the guys rotating in make mistakes while they're in there. 

IMO, the bigger issue is our starters (Zach and the offence), not doing their jobs for 50%of the time than back-ups not being able to come in 10% of the time. 

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Special teams in my opinion shoes you lots about your depth. Our coverage sucked all year. Says lots. 

And overall physicality/preparation.

Both ways our special teams were unreasonably poor over the course of a season for a division winner type team.  You just gotta find guys to work hard and smart.

Even our big highlight return of the year was literally Grant breaking 9 tackles and running across the whole field by himself.

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

For sure, it's just not n=1 like some people like to think. 

Yes, a rotation likely keeps our best players fresh for those moments, but still doesn't guarantee anything. Especially if the guys rotating in make mistakes while they're in there. 

IMO, the bigger issue is our starters (Zach and the offence), not doing their jobs for 50%of the time than back-ups not being able to come in 10% of the time. 

Yes the starters are key.  But it's more like 1/3 of the time on D.  Plus you're getting more out of the other guys in their 2/3 if they aren't gassed.

These games are always 1-2 possession.  We've hardly come out and blown anyone out in a playoff game in my entire life.   Even when you watch say WHSFL around here with teams like St Pauls and Dakota who beat everyone by 50-70 points all season in a playoff game they are going to OT, maybe up a possession the whole game. Those little things can make a big difference because in the last minute it will always come down to 1-2 plays and you want your guys at their best.  Part of that is using your roster to optimize energy level for positions that need to go 150% every snap.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

Losing by 4 hurts tho. 

Zachs dumb pick there was guaranteed 3 and probably 7 if he goes for demski instead but 3 for sure... if no pick. 

Could have tried a 50 plus yarder with the wind and if we didn't piss away time leading by 3, prob time for 2 more passes instead of 1 really. Then FG  

Thems the breaks 

I don't think cutting Collaros is a good idea unless the franchise is positive Brown is the guy

We've seen flashes of brilliance out of a lot of back up qbs who fade into the abyss. Collaros getting kicked the curb would be a knee jerk reaction in my opinion.

Dudes taken us to 4 grey cups in a row...mind you hasn't shown up for any of them. I think our offense did enough to win today. Just barely. 

Are we forgetting that Fajardo didn't score a single offensive td against us this season and he had 3 tonight??

The dude was 0-9 against zc. I respect you @Mikebut surely this is a little soon to be so sure 

I'd move on from Hall as I think Younger is an excellent up and coming coach.

I'd consider trading Zach depending on what you could get in return, his age, the fact we have Brown and his poor playoff performances.

Of course, I don't want Pierce to leave and I wouldn't wish Saskatchewan on my worst enemy.

Just now, rebusrankin said:

I'd move on from Hall as I think Younger is an excellent up and coming coach.

I'd consider trading Zach depending on what you could get in return, his age, the fact we have Brown and his poor playoff performances.

Of course, I don't want Pierce to leave and I wouldn't wish Saskatchewan on my worst enemy.

I think it's hilarious you want to move on from Hall and Zach when Buck shares a lot of the blame. 

So who is the guy in 2 years then when we are actually hosting the Grey cup? It sure won't be Zach 

2025 ain't next season 

I bet it will.

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Losing by 4 hurts tho. 

Zachs dumb pick there was guaranteed 3 and probably 7 if he goes for demski instead but 3 for sure... if no pick. 

Could have tried a 50 plus yarder with the wind and if we didn't piss away time leading by 3, prob time for 2 more passes instead of 1 really. Then FG  

Thems the breaks 

That was on Buck. Terrible play csll

Just now, GCn20 said:

That was on Buck. Terrible play csll

Brady Ball right there.

Buck ain't under throwing balls and making rookie mistakes all playoffs long for 3 years now 

I thought the two endzone balls were perfect - the DB in both cases needed to make the perfect play/recovery to stop it and unfortunately for us, they did.

But the receivers were in good position and Zach put the ball where it needed to be. anything more would've been an over throw. 

1 minute ago, Colin Unger said:

If Zack only has a year or two left i can't really see Dru Brown going anywhere. MBT and Steveler to Ottawa and Hamilton. Who is would make Dru Brown a starter next season?

What makes you think that Calgary or Edmonton are set at QB?

Streveler isn't a starter.  Brown is a far better QB than him.  The whole league has already passed on MBT.

2 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

If Zack only has a year or two left i can't really see Dru Brown going anywhere. MBT and Steveler to Ottawa and Hamilton. Who is would make Dru Brown a starter next season?

He could go to most teams "as the back-up", and be the starter in short order. 

I don't think we make any coaching or quarterback changes.   As much as i like the sound of Streveler and Dru Brown its too much of a risk for me. I would sooner try and retain Brown on the promise of starting in a year or two. Id be looking at some aging players in other areas as a means to get younger and repurpose some salary. If we lose Dru Brown id be trading up in the draft to get Rourke's brother whos unlikely to be headed to the NFL after an injury-plagued season. 

11 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I thought the two endzone balls were perfect - the DB in both cases needed to make the perfect play/recovery to stop it and unfortunately for us, they did.

But the receivers were in good position and Zach put the ball where it needed to be. anything more would've been an over throw. 

I thought he made a bad read on the Lawler throw and should have gone to Demski. That said, Ento made an outstanding play.

Just now, rebusrankin said:

I thought he made a bad read on the Lawler throw and should have gone to Demski. That said, Ento made an outstanding play.

That's a hindsight call. Lawler was open and the defensive play was spectacular.

You don't throw short when got open guy in the endzone. But the D is paid to make plays too. 

1 hour ago, True Dru said:

Brown is the Aaron Rodgers behind a Favre of Zach Collaros. We may get a couple more good years out of Zach, or eight of Brown. I think the franchise would be better with the latter (my forum name aside)

I'd be willing to listen to offers for Zach, he just absolutely fades away come playoffs. His escapability wasn't there, buck could've maybe brought in an extra Olineman. Zach has done great things for this team and may be on the ring of honor eventually  but, in a what have you done for me lately issue.....he's looking like a Dan Marino...phenomenal regular season QB.