East Final - Game Week Thread

bluto

On 2023-11-07 at 10:09 AM, Booch said:

Good to see over 20k if anything....wonder how many are Als fans coming in?

I trust Argo ticket math as much as I trust my toddler with cookies. We’ll see what the crowd looks like. My expectations are low. 
Should be a good game. If it was cf at the helm for Montreal I’d say they have a real good chance. Can’t wait to see how the Argos come out and if they suffer from 6/7 weeks off. 

If you're anything at all like me, you're probably waking up this morning and all that you can think about is the game. The matchups. The previous results. The injury report. How your opposition lined up last weekend against a playoff calibre team. Now that it is win-or-go-home, there's nothing held back, so how did they attack their opposition? If you were them, how would you go after the Bomber's D? How would you line up to neutralize Zack and Brady?

It's terrible and awesome. My blood pressure at work this morning is elevated and not just because I'm trying to wrap up early so my better half can Uber over here and we can drive down to where we're staying this weekend. I'll try to relax in the hotel pool and spa (and whisky bar!) but experience tells me that it'll do no good. I'll get over to the tailgate tomorrow to sit with dear friends around a fire with a cold Rush Golden Ale and they along with many others will all be asking me what will happen come game-time. I'll answer truthfully with my impressions of what should happen and what is most likely to happen but my stomach will be in knots with no prospect of relief unless and until the Argos are again crowned Eastern Champions and headed down the QEW to defend their Throne.

So as for tomorrow, we are the better team. We have as close to full game fitness as you could ever hope for. We have more talent at virtually any starting position than the Alouettes do, and certainly more talent in depth than they have. And we've had what may be an unprecedented 2 months to make ready for the playoffs. And I'm very excited to see what we've been working on in the lab.

We have lots of film on how the Als play and unlike the TiCats who were different every time we saw them, to me, the Als were the same team every week and not just against us.

However they did do a thing when last we played them. IIRC their WIL had to come off so they put Sankey in and it effectively had them in a 2 Mike setup. It actually worked for them and AJ's yards just dried up. If they tried such a thing again it may make for fewer of the 2nd & shorts that we are accustomed to. They should run blitz us as much as they can, but if this gasses them, look for a big 2nd half on the ground if the Argos are ahead.

On offence they should do more of the screens and flats that they always do against us as Cody seems comfortable with that. I'd say that they ought to probe deep on us as we have been guilty of a busted coverage, but I'm not sure that they want to tempt fate deep on us very often with Faj's arm.

As for what the Champs should do? 

Teams haven't had a lot of success blitzing us. So if Chad sees a lot of this I expect to see him climb up in the pocket and throw a dagger (he seems to be inherently incapable of checking down) or since we are now at the point in the season where the safeties are switched off, he runs and slides. I feel like he's wanted to do this all season but has been held back from it.

AJ & Harris are obviously plan "A". But we have 5 receivers who can hurt you. Our kicking/punting/returning should have us working with a short field (as per our custom), so 1 big play per drive puts us in the points.

Our defence should get after Cody early and try to chase him from the game. Force a few pickable floaters. The crowd will be big and noisy and getting them charged up will be yet another hill for the Birds to climb.

We should win this one. We're justifiable 10+ point favorites... But they have a way of hanging in there against us. And as I famously said last Novemeber before a big game with a crazy finish: the team that should win doesn't always win... that's why you actually play the game.

Good  luck to you all as well. Maybe we'll see you in Hamilsmell.

I mean, any given Sunday (Saturday) and all.... but I just don't see any way Montreal wins this game... or there are multiple things that need to happen... (1) Toronto has to be really rusty.... (2) Mtl needs to get an early lead... (3) Mtl needs to defend the lead with run game (including Fajardo scrambles) and defense... should be an easy W for the Argos.  

4 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I mean, any given Sunday (Saturday) and all.... but I just don't see any way Montreal wins this game... or there are multiple things that need to happen... (1) Toronto has to be really rusty.... (2) Mtl needs to get an early lead... (3) Mtl needs to defend the lead with run game (including Fajardo scrambles) and defense... should be an easy W for the Argos.  

If Montreals defence steps up....and they have the horses....and Standback becomes Standback and the Faj doesnt have to shoulder the offence...I can see an interesting outcome

34 minutes ago, bluto said:

If you're anything at all like me, you're probably waking up this morning and all that you can think about is the game. The matchups. The previous results. The injury report. How your opposition lined up last weekend against a playoff calibre team. Now that it is win-or-go-home, there's nothing held back, so how did they attack their opposition? If you were them, how would you go after the Bomber's D? How would you line up to neutralize Zack and Brady?

It's terrible and awesome. My blood pressure at work this morning is elevated and not just because I'm trying to wrap up early so my better half can Uber over here and we can drive down to where we're staying this weekend. I'll try to relax in the hotel pool and spa (and whisky bar!) but experience tells me that it'll do no good. I'll get over to the tailgate tomorrow to sit with dear friends around a fire with a cold Rush Golden Ale and they along with many others will all be asking me what will happen come game-time. I'll answer truthfully with my impressions of what should happen and what is most likely to happen but my stomach will be in knots with no prospect of relief unless and until the Argos are again crowned Eastern Champions and headed down the QEW to defend their Throne.

So as for tomorrow, we are the better team. We have as close to full game fitness as you could ever hope for. We have more talent at virtually any starting position than the Alouettes do, and certainly more talent in depth than they have. And we've had what may be an unprecedented 2 months to make ready for the playoffs. And I'm very excited to see what we've been working on in the lab.

We have lots of film on how the Als play and unlike the TiCats who were different every time we saw them, to me, the Als were the same team every week and not just against us.

However they did do a thing when last we played them. IIRC their WIL had to come off so they put Sankey in and it effectively had them in a 2 Mike setup. It actually worked for them and AJ's yards just dried up. If they tried such a thing again it may make for fewer of the 2nd & shorts that we are accustomed to. They should run blitz us as much as they can, but if this gasses them, look for a big 2nd half on the ground if the Argos are ahead.

On offence they should do more of the screens and flats that they always do against us as Cody seems comfortable with that. I'd say that they ought to probe deep on us as we have been guilty of a busted coverage, but I'm not sure that they want to tempt fate deep on us very often with Faj's arm.

Teams haven't had a lot of success blitzing us. So if Chad sees a lot of this I expect to see him climb up in the pocket and throw a dagger (he seems to be inherently incapable of checking down) or since we are now at the point in the season where the safeties are switched off, he runs and slides. I feel like he's wanted to do this all season but has been held back from it.

AJ & Harris are obviously plan "A". But we have 5 receivers who can hurt you. Our kicking/punting/returning should have us working with a short field (as per our custom), so 1 big play per drive puts us in the points.

Our defence should get after Cody early and try to chase him from the game. Force a few pickable floaters. The crowd will be big and noisy and getting them charged up will be yet another hill for the Birds to climb.

We should win this one. We're justifiable 10+ point favorites... But they have a way of hanging in there against us. And as I famously said last Novemeber before a big game with a crazy finish: the team that should win doesn't always win... that's why you actually play the game.

Nice to see the fans in TO packing the park as best they can. Enjoy the day tomorrow. The anticipation here is peaking too!

48 minutes ago, bearpants said:

The only 

52 minutes ago, bluto said:

Your team is the better team by far but the thing you can't get around is the Argo's do indeed suck.

8 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yea but not only am I a sore winner but a sore loser to boot.

I can relate. I wish I knew the euphoria that most people do when their team wins big. I only ever experience great victories as a relief.

Bluto......you better hope that Faj doesn't gulp down a can of spinach and turn into mega-man....He did seem to be a bit better last game against the Cats....I say watch out for the Faj ....IF he doesn't cough one up at a crucial time in the game ....he could end up being your nemesis lol.......In reality I think Mont.'s defence could be your biggest problem ..Anyway if the Argo's fold in this one I suggest you change your handle to poop-deck-pappy  and hide somewhere....

The X factor here is whether or not the Als can contain the Argos special teams

With fewer drives that start at midfield, the Argos O would not be that much better than the Als

Both Ds are stingy and both could come up with a good game

I would go as far as to say - containing the Argo return game - is the single biggest key to winning this year's Grey Cup

22 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

The X factor here is whether or not the Als can contain the Argos special teams

With fewer drives that start at midfield, the Argos O would not be that much better than the Als

Both Ds are stingy and both could come up with a good game

I would go as far as to say - containing the Argo return game - is the single biggest key to winning this year's Grey Cup

If the Chad has to continually put together 8..10..12 play drives and not start at just shy of mid field 80% of time...I see their offence having some issues, and it will be a tight game...All things considered, if you take away the busted coverages and the big plays....I don't see him being methodical drive guy...but a guy who will get frustrated and let his ego be his demise forcing it....we shall see