CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

On 2023-09-12 at 11:00 AM, JCon said:

That's just projection. 

I thought they played without any extra emotion last week. They simply beat the crap out of the Riders. Didn't engage in any nonsense but crushed the pathetic team from Regina. 

Nye was emotional, like Ballsy, crying at every turn. 

I'm taking the Bombers this week, but he does make a good point about the "emotional let down". It's got me nervous!

Just now, ddanger said:

I'm taking the Bombers this week, but he does make a good point about the "emotional let down". It's got me nervous!

I saw Biggie this morning doing film work. I won't say where I saw this film work being done 'cause snitches get stitches but... they're gonna be ready!

26 minutes ago, ddanger said:

If anything...I think this will be more a statement game than any this yr...especially heading into the bye with T.O next up...at home before another sold out crowd....I will not be shocked to see a repeat of the B.C/SASK beat downs as well truth be told

25 minutes ago, JCon said:

I saw Biggie this morning doing film work. I won't say where I saw this film work being done 'cause snitches get stitches but... they're gonna be ready!

yeah....there not gonna be a 2022 Ham trip result this yr

23 hours ago, Noeller said:

waiting for Arash Madani's take on the NFL mandating Globals.... he's been whining about that non-stop since it started and crying about Ambrosie's "stupid ideas". 

I'm not seeing anywhere that the NFL is actually mandating teams to sign Globals. Seems to me they are just allowing any teams who want to do so to have a roster/PR position available for their development should they decide to do so.

21 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

From your lips to God's ears. 

Man I want to see the Bomber stomp the argos for no reason than to simply see the spin tsn puts on it.

same....lil tired of the TSN love fest....they a good team I agree, and obviously have a free ticket to the Grey Cup in the East, but I don't think they as good as many like to think...so I think a BC/Sask game would be enough to shut their pie holes

They have beat Ham 3 times...Mtl 2 times and Ott....so 6 pretty easy games there...sure we lost to Ott...but not putting much stock into that

Lost to Cgy, then beat em by 1 TD....calgary record be damned is better than those 3 teams they have been feasting on, and had the luxury of 3 byes already....not sold on them one bit yet....so that game here is gonna be the litmus test on who the top dawg is, and who should be the Grey Cup favorite in my opinion

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I'm not seeing anywhere that the NFL is actually mandating teams to sign Globals. Seems to me they are just allowing any teams who want to do so to have a roster/PR position available for their development should they decide to do so.

I dont think the NFL Teams could care less, or will put much time and effort into that anyway....they not in the business of developing projects for the odd chance one becomes a role player

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Correct. Nfl teams are pretty aggressive in min maxing though, idk if they waste a free roster spot. 
 Though with the expansion of the pr pretty significantly and the pay for guys on the pr, a lot more pressure is on the front office of each team to maintain a deep scouting report on available talent. The globals may well be an after thought. 
 Teams that are more involved in the international player program will take advantage the rest not soo much. 

It might force the cfl to pay globals more too. I mean we have some good global p/ks in the league a position the nfl needs but refuses to draft for the most part. That’s easy low hanging fruit for nfl teams and a massive massive pay increase for those guys here. 

If the Argos pull out the win tomorrow in Montreal (the Als always play us tough there), we lock up our place in the East Final.

If that happens, there is every chance that what the Bombers will see at IGF is a Toronto squad that is resting a lot of banged up players who don't have a Bye Week in the second half of the season.

They also would likely see a "dummy" version of our offence where we just do a bunch of formations to see how the Bombers defence reacts.

I'm not saying that we won't try to win or anything, just that after we lock 1st, then our road games in particular will be heavily rotated teams.

But first, we need to win tomorrow and then watch Montreal, Hamilton, Ottawa and any Crossover hopeful kill themselves for the remainder of the season for a chance to play at BMO on Remembrance Day.  

9 minutes ago, bluto said:

If the Argos pull out the win tomorrow in Montreal (the Als always play us tough there), we lock up our place in the East Final.

If that happens, there is every chance that what the Bombers will see at IGF is a Toronto squad that is resting a lot of banged up players who don't have a Bye Week in the second half of the season.

They also would likely see a "dummy" version of our offence where we just do a bunch of formations to see how the Bombers defence reacts.

I'm not saying that we won't try to win or anything, just that after we lock 1st, then our road games in particular will be heavily rotated teams.

But first, we need to win tomorrow and then watch Montreal, Hamilton, Ottawa and any Crossover hopeful kill themselves for the remainder of the season for a chance to play at BMO on Remembrance Day.  

You run some kind of dummy playbook, or rest a bunch of starters, we will hang a 50 burger on you guys. You guys are good, but not good enough to be thinking anything but the Bombers are the team to beat. Choose not to do so at your own peril and waste a chance to see how you truly measure up. Right now your schedule has been SOFT as butter. I can't see Dinwiddie not wanting to see how his team looks against us.

Edited by GCn20

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

the Argo offence has been seen already...like all the other teams, and there is nothing they are "holding" out on any more than us...or any team for that matter

Disagree.

Dinwiddie keeps "developing" new wrinkles each time out against an opponent or a particular setup. Really enjoying watching him make me eat crow, because he obviously has a lot going on football IQ wise. As a football nerd, it's been fun watching opposing DCs repeatedly get caught with their pants around their ankles when the thing that they weren't prepared for happens to them.

I think we go if not full Vanilla, then at least Neapolitan after we lock 1st. Certainly on the road anyways.

I recall in years past when we needed a rest before the playoffs and we'd clinched to late how we'd play all 2nd and 3rd stringers at our last game at home... Sucks to sit in the cold stands with the wind off the lake for those stinkers!

28 minutes ago, bluto said:

pre-emptive excuses, nice. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

CFL rosters only allow to sit so many guys any way.....and works in reverse as well....You don't play the "regs" against a team using their actual schemes too...then just trot out there when it means something and hope they can solve whatever a team is doing on its first look at it can be a recipe for failure too....

I hope they sit a few what they consider key players...and we trounce em...and the pundits yammer on with the "yeah buts"....be the perfect scenario in my opinion

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

CFL rosters only allow to sit so many guys any way.....and works in reverse as well....You don't play the "regs" against a team using their actual schemes too...then just trot out there when it means something and hope they can solve whatever a team is doing on its first look at it can be a recipe for failure too....

I hope they sit a few what they consider key players...and we trounce em...and the pundits yammer on with the "yeah buts"....be the perfect scenario in my opinion

Most likely scenario, imo.

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You can argue the same for our side.

Both teams will be relatively secure in their first place finish at the time of meeting.

Knowing that the likeliest outcome is meeting each other in the Grey Cup, it might be a smart play to hide your play book to an extent. Save the plays you have drawn up to match against the opposite team.

But, in the only match-up against the two top teams in the league, I think both teams will be pretty amped up to prove something.

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

But, in the only match-up against the two top teams in the league, I think both teams will be pretty amped up to prove something.

Grey cup re-match, two top dogs in the league... yeah coaches might not go super deep into the playbooks but this game will mean something to both sides. Prove something, send a message whatever it is, these teams will bring it. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Grey cup re-match, two top dogs in the league... yeah coaches might not go super deep into the playbooks but this game will mean something to both sides. Prove something, send a message whatever it is, these teams will bring it. 

or we go right off-script...show a bunch of new, and creative things....never to be seen again....but leave a lasting impression and something to think about

29 minutes ago, bluto said:

Disagree.

Dinwiddie keeps "developing" new wrinkles each time out against an opponent or a particular setup. Really enjoying watching him make me eat crow, because he obviously has a lot going on football IQ wise. As a football nerd, it's been fun watching opposing DCs repeatedly get caught with their pants around their ankles when the thing that they weren't prepared for happens to them.

I think we go if not full Vanilla, then at least Neapolitan after we lock 1st. Certainly on the road anyways.

I recall in years past when we needed a rest before the playoffs and we'd clinched to late how we'd play all 2nd and 3rd stringers at our last game at home... Sucks to sit in the cold stands with the wind off the lake for those stinkers!

Any offensive momentum you are trying to have with a rookie QB goes completely out the window if you start doing stupid shat like that. Probably gets players hurt too. Also, Toronto can't afford losses. Attendance is finally coming up and you don't throw that away by purposely looking like shat the final third of the season.

Edited by GCn20

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

Any offensive momentum you are trying to have with a rookie QB goes completely out the window if you start doing stupid shat like that. Probably gets players hurt too. Also, Toronto can't afford losses. Attendance is finally coming up and you don't throw that away by purposely looking like shat the final third of the season.

Respectfully beg to differ. He's sorta a rookie but he really isn't. And keeping our undefeated at home record may prevent us from rotating and hiding the book here, but not the road. 10 weeks is a long time with no Bye week... so you'd have to figure that we'll just make our own Byes in the remaining 6 straight games. It'd be madness to grind the guys down in the run-in.

3 minutes ago, bluto said:

Respectfully beg to differ. He's sorta a rookie but he really isn't. And keeping our undefeated at home record may prevent us from rotating and hiding the book here, but not the road. 10 weeks is a long time with no Bye week... so you'd have to figure that we'll just make our own Byes in the remaining 6 straight games. It'd be madness to grind the guys down in the run-in.

By every definition he is a rookie. You start dumbing down the game plan and the offence starts suffering so will his confidence. Book it. You act like Kelly is immune to being a rookie? Makes no sense. Momentum is a crazy thing and once you lose it, it's tough to get it back. At any rate, we are going to beat you guys down Sept 29 no matter what you do.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

By every definition he is a rookie. You start dumbing down the game plan and the offence starts suffering so will his confidence. Book it. You act like Kelly is immune to being a rookie? Makes no sense.

Not every definition. It's his second year in the CFL. Floated around the NFL trying to catch on for 5 seasons. He's 29. Not a kid we're talking about, And this is his team.

But to try this whole thing from a different tack, if you were Dinwiddie and you won the East with 6 games to go, have no Bye weeks, banged up starters and you play an away game at your most likely Grey Cup opponent (presuming you both make it)... What would you do? Play your starters and show Winnipeg exactly how you'd play them? Don't be silly.

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

By every definition he is a rookie. You start dumbing down the game plan and the offence starts suffering so will his confidence. Book it. You act like Kelly is immune to being a rookie? Makes no sense. Momentum is a crazy thing and once you lose it, it's tough to get it back. At any rate, we are going to beat you guys down Sept 29 no matter what you do.

you would also think that Kelly and the staff in T.O would want Kelly to face the best defence in league...and best he will face all year to see how he fares, what he can be successful at, and what he was totally over matched with....so come Grey Cup if you get there, you aren't swinging and missing there.

For all intents an purposes Kelly is a rookie, and is still not a true established guy...on the cusp, but there is a ton of stuff he hasn't seen, let alone experienced yet....would be a fools game to go in and have the lets not try attitude and play some scrubs...tho with roster size you are severely limited with the amount of scrubs you can start anyway...

Just now, bluto said:

Not every definition. It's his second year in the CFL. Floated around the NFL trying to catch on for 5 seasons. He's 29. Not a kid we're talking about, And this is his team.

But to try this whole thing from a different tack, if you were Dinwiddie and you won the East with 6 games to go, have no Bye weeks, banged up starters and you play an away game at your most likely Grey Cup opponent (presuming you both make it)... What would you do? Play your starters and show Winnipeg exactly how you'd play them? Don't be silly.

lots of guys float around the NFL for yrs....and how much play time did he get while floating....diddly squats worth...and sure he a second yr guy, with all of 40 snaps under his belt...