Manitoba Politics

Wideleft

I've taught in many different schools across Manitoba and developed curricula for the province. My take on their promises:

The PCs list four new rights they would like to add, following consultations with parents and teachers:

• The right to be informed about curriculum - This is already available to everyone - Curriculum | Manitoba Education and Early Childhood Learning (gov.mb.ca). It even has sections devoted to parents.
  • The right to be involved in addressing bullying and other behavioural changes. Every school I've been in already does this. The vague nature pledge indicates one of two things: it is so vague that it is useless or it is a dog whistle for parents to read their own message into it. What are "other" behavioural changes?
  • The right to advance notice about any presentations by people outside the school system. - Definitely a response to parents not wanting talk of gender diversity in schools. This is the only one of the four that isn't necessarily done by default in schools.
  • The right to consent before any image of a child is made, shared or stored.  This has already been happening for years. Parents need to sign to give the right to have pictures taken and used. Teachers/admin take this seriously.

The "new" rights show either a complete ignorance of what is going on in schools or an attempt to fool uninformed voters into these things actually being new.

I've had more dealings with this government than the average teacher and they really don't care about education outside of meddling in it for political power. The current education minister has frequently chosen to not be informed about educational issues. Pallister/Stefanson have really tried to stick their fingers in our educational system, including post-secondary education in ways that will not help student achievement in the least. Education in Manitoba has deteriorated quite a lot since they came to power.

Heck in the article in the WFP on this Stefanson admits that the curriculum is online and available and that parental consent is already needed for taking of and posting of pictures online. But then she mentions cyber bullying. Yeah, a parents bill of rights isn't going to fix that issue when its students posting pictures or doing bullying online. Now do schools get involved with this and work to fix this, with parental knowledge and involvement? 100% Total dog whistle and use of Republican tactics from groups like Moms for Liberty.

Manitobans who buy electric vehicles would get rebate of up to $4K under NDP: Kinew

Manitoba's Opposition New Democrats are promising rebates for people who purchase electric vehicles.

NDP Leader Wab Kinew says if his party wins the election set for Oct. 3, it would offer a $4,000 rebate for new electric vehicles and a $2,500 rebate for used ones.

The federal government currently offers rebates of up to $5,000, depending on the type of vehicle, and some provinces have already adopted similar rebates.

Kinew says an NDP government would also sign on to a federal commitment to protect 30 per cent of land and ocean by 2030. He says Manitoba currently has about 11 per cent of its land and water in protected status, and accuses the Progressive Conservative government of dragging its feet on the issue.

The NDP is also promising to restore funding to nine environmental organizations, such as the Manitoba Eco-Network, that was cut in 2020.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-ndp-climate-announcement-electric-vehicle-rebate-1.6940631

23 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

You're either trolling or haven't been paying attention lol.

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Oh I've paid attention I just want to see the results lol 

I think anonymity will yield some results that would surprise most. I think there are some on here that are "bashful cons" - conservative at their core, but are embarrassed by the current iteration of cons. and those that just don't want to put up with the very vocal and sometimes belligerent,  ABC crowd.

Well hopefully a good portion of ppl participate and we can see. Totally anonymous poll there. 

I wasn't even going to put liberals as an option as I don't think they have official party status here  but I did 

Edited by Goalie

10 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

I think anonymity will yield some results that would surprise most. I think there are some on here that are "bashful cons" - conservative at their core, but are embarrassed by the current iteration of cons. and those that just don't want to put up with the very vocal and sometimes belligerent,  ABC crowd.

fair, but if they don't like the current cons why would they vote for them?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/gas-tax-manitoba-ndp-election-promise-1.6942451#:~:text=Ian Froese%2FCBC)-,Manitoba NDP Leader Wab Kinew says his party would temporarily,litre in provincial fuel taxes.

Manitoba NDP Leader Wab Kinew says his party would temporarily eliminate the provincial gas tax if it wins the Oct. 3 provincial election.

But he has also claimed he will balance the budget in their first term.   Would have to hope inflation subsides to put the tax back, otherwise that's an extra couple hundred million to balance.

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/gas-tax-manitoba-ndp-election-promise-1.6942451#:~:text=Ian Froese%2FCBC)-,Manitoba NDP Leader Wab Kinew says his party would temporarily,litre in provincial fuel taxes.

But he has also claimed he will balance the budget in their first term.   Would have to hope inflation subsides to put the tax back, otherwise that's an extra couple hundred million to balance.

Such an incredibly stupid idea for so many reasons.  Not enough for me to change votes, but I'm not the voter he's targeting with this - so I can see who's votes he's trying to buy here.

4 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Such an incredibly stupid idea for so many reasons.  Not enough for me to change votes, but I'm not the voter he's targeting with this - so I can see who's votes he's trying to buy here.

Agreed. I shook my head and was disappointed with this announcement. I guess it is better than trying to shift the blame to the feds and their evil carbon tax, but not much. Fiscally irresponsible attempt to buy votes.

On 2023-08-18 at 2:54 PM, Wideleft said:

Manitobans who buy electric vehicles would get rebate of up to $4K under NDP: Kinew

Manitoba's Opposition New Democrats are promising rebates for people who purchase electric vehicles.

NDP Leader Wab Kinew says if his party wins the election set for Oct. 3, it would offer a $4,000 rebate for new electric vehicles and a $2,500 rebate for used ones.

The federal government currently offers rebates of up to $5,000, depending on the type of vehicle, and some provinces have already adopted similar rebates.

Kinew says an NDP government would also sign on to a federal commitment to protect 30 per cent of land and ocean by 2030. He says Manitoba currently has about 11 per cent of its land and water in protected status, and accuses the Progressive Conservative government of dragging its feet on the issue.

The NDP is also promising to restore funding to nine environmental organizations, such as the Manitoba Eco-Network, that was cut in 2020.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-ndp-climate-announcement-electric-vehicle-rebate-1.6940631

“Manitobans who saddle themselves with extreme debt can knock 4K off” 
I’d expect this to be in the PC platform first. 

The average price of a new EV is 80k.

I’d like to see the percentage of the driving population in MB that can actually afford a New or Used EV, either through a loan or out of pocket.

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

10 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I’d like to see the percentage of the driving population in MB that can actually afford a New or Used EV, either through a loan or out of pocket.

I've seen this figure and I believe it is misleading. From what I understand, they averaged out the cost of each model (high to low) and arrived at this number.  I have doubts that this is the average cost of what people are buying.

Hyundai Ionic6's are now under 35K in the U.S. and costs are going to keep dropping as GM ramps up their offerings post COVID.

21 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I've seen this figure and I believe it is misleading. From what I understand, they averaged out the cost of each model (high to low) and arrived at this number.  I have doubts that this is the average cost of what people are buying.

Hyundai Ionic6's are now under 35K in the U.S. and costs are going to keep dropping as GM ramps up their offerings post COVID.

Depending which source, the overall average car cost is also listed anywhere from 55 - 65k.  The higher end skews things.

Like most evolutions in cars, they start in the high end models and as the technology becomes cheaper and mass produced, they come down to lower end cars.

Here is an interesting article on EV pricing and cheaper electric vehicles coming.  Once you can get them around $30k Canadian with decent range (right now the cheaper models have reduced range), I think you will see them become more affordable to a larger percentage of the population.

BaseMSRP Highest startingMSRP
ChevroletBolt EV $26,500 $30,695
ChevroletBolt EUV $27,800 $33,790
NissanLEAF $28,040 $36,040
MINIHardtop $30,900 $30,900
HyundaiKona Electric $33,550 $41,550
MazdaMX-30 $34,110 $37,120
VolkswagenID.4 $38,995 $55,245
KiaNiro EV $39,550 $44,550
HyundaiIONIQ 5 $41,450 $52,600
TeslaModel 3 $41,990 $52,990
Source: Edmunds

gas prices are the number one inflation issue in my life, so I'm glad AB is eating the tax right now, though I fully understand that the money is (in theory) needed for infrastructure and what not. More than groceries, more than anything else... gas prices are just killing my monthly budget. I think it's also easier for the AB government to eat that, than the MB gov't, which doesn't have as many other resources to make up the lost earnings. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Average price of a new truck is about $75k but people still manage to buy those?