Manitoba Politics

Wideleft

6 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I’d like to see the percentage of the driving population in MB that can actually afford a New or Used EV, either through a loan or out of pocket.

I don't have the numbers but a large amount of people can't afford rent/mortgages but somehow still manage.   Lots of people live in debt.   

29 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I don't have the numbers but a large amount of people can't afford rent/mortgages but somehow still manage.   Lots of people live in debt.   

Healthy debt equity is one thing.

Encouraging the general population to live beyond their means is something our society does constantly. I find it infuriating. 
This is by far not the worst example. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Healthy debt equity is one thing.

Encouraging the general population to live beyond their means is something our society does constantly. I find it infuriating. 
This is by far not the worst example. 

I don't want to generalize and say all young people are naive and just do it,  but it feels like many are entitled and think that they should buy new trucks, bigger houses,  yearly trips etc...   I would not be opposed for high schools to teach financial management and/or somehow make it legal for anyone to chastise the parents who constantly spoil their children and bail them out.  

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

I don't want to generalize and say all young people are naive and just do it,  but it feels like many are entitled and think that they should buy new trucks, bigger houses,  yearly trips etc...   

"I don't want to generalize and say all young people are naive and just do it, "

Then don't?

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

I would not be opposed for high schools to teach financial management and/or somehow make it legal for anyone to chastise the parents who constantly spoil their children and bail them out. 

I was unaware that this was illegal.

I gotta say, I always look forward to reading your posts.

Edited by Wanna-B-Fanboy

19 hours ago, bustamente said:

We have enough shitty drivers in this city so lets unleash a whole bunch who have not had their road test critiqued, it amazes me how quickly people forget basic rules of the road one they get their license, don't get me started with turn signals and merging versus yield.

On the other hand, my parents' generation paid $2 to get a license - no questions asked.  My classmates took their road tests in the metropolises of Ste. Rose du Lac and Winnipegosis.  City tests won't even take you through Portage & Main.  Graduated licensing will still be in place.

Mileage will vary (pun intended) depending on the kid.  I have no concerns with my daughter (who has gone through Driver Z) skipping the road test.  My son needed to be road tested for sure.

When I took drivers ed, part of it was driving with an instructor and near the end of the course we did a "mock test" to get us ready. I'd imagine this will be similar. MPI isn't just handing out licenses. They still need to do the course and get through it. Part of that course is being on the road with an instructor. My actual test, taught me absolutely nothing. 

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

When I took drivers ed, part of it was driving with an instructor and near the end of the course we did a "mock test" to get us ready. I'd imagine this will be similar. MPI isn't just handing out licenses. They still need to do the course and get through it. Part of that course is being on the road with an instructor. My actual test, taught me absolutely nothing. 

Gave em away during Covid didnt they?

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Gave em away during Covid didnt they?

Nope.  My son had to wait months for a retest.

14 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

That is literally the last stage of Driver Z.  Can't take it until you have something like 45 practise hours logged.

Conservative campaign ad 

Hello  I'm Heather Stephenson,  for the past 8 years now our leadership has been ****. Our province has gotten worse in many different ways but we want you all to forget it was us in charge for those 8 years and remember ( i mean dont) that it's all Wabs fault.  Vote pc cuz we aren't Wab Kinew. 

Honestly might work 

Edited by Goalie

11 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Conservative campaign ad 

Hello  I'm Heather Stephenson,  for the past 8 years now our leadership has been ****. Our province has gotten worse in many different ways but we want you all to forget it was us in charge for those 8 years and remember ( i mean dont) that it's all Wabs fault.  Vote pc cuz we aren't Wab Kinew. 

Honestly might work 

For what it's worth, that's pretty much all I'm hearing in the ads that they've put out so far.

Voting 101

The who, what, where, when and how of casting a ballot in Manitoba's provincial electionBy: Free Press staffPosted: 3:45 PM CDT Tuesday, Sep. 5, 2023

Manitoba’s 43rd general election will be held on Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2023.

Manitoba has 57 Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLAs), one to represent the people in each of 57 geographic areas of the province. Voters choose which candidate will become their area’s MLA.

Manitobans do not vote directly to determine who becomes premier. Before an election, each political party chooses a leader. The leader of the political party that has the most candidates elected becomes premier.

Who can vote?

To be eligible to vote, you must:

• Be a Canadian citizen;
  • Be at least 18 years old on Oct. 3; and
  • Have lived in Manitoba since at least April 3, 2023.

Voter registration

Voting is faster and easier if you are registered before the election.  (But you can still register on election day; more on that below.)

If you are already a registered voter, you will receive a card in the mail telling you when and where to vote on election day and in advance voting.

Elections Manitoba regularly receives information from Elections Canada, Manitoba Public Insurance, Manitoba Health and Vital Stats, so it can keep the list up to date when people turn 18, become Canadian citizens, etc. — so even if you have not formally registered at your current address, you might already be on the list.

The cards are mailed starting Sept. 5. You can check to see if you’re already registered on the Elections Manitoba website. Enter your name, birth date and address, and Elections Manitoba will see if you’re on the list.

I’m not registered!

If you’re not on the list or if the registration information is incorrect — for example, you moved or changed your name — you can register or update your information until Sept. 14. You’ll need to scan and upload pictures of your identification; here’s what types of ID can be used.

If you can’t scan your identification, you can still register to vote at your local election office. To find out where that is, put your address in this form on Elections Manitoba’s website. It will show information about who your candidates are, polling locations and the “local election office.”  Call or email the local election office for information about how to register.

If you register or update your registration before Sept. 14, a voter card will be mailed to you on Sept. 14. Take the card and identification with you when you go to vote. (More on that below.)

When do I vote?

During advance polling: Saturday, Sept. 23 to Saturday, Sept. 30, you can vote at any advance poll in the province.

Advance polls are generally open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday to Saturday and from noon to 6 p.m. on Sunday, though some exceptions apply.

On election day: Vote on Tuesday, Oct. 3, between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., at any polling place in your electoral division.

You can enter your address on Election Manitoba’s website to find advance polls close to you, and your polling place for election day.

How do I vote?

Go to a polling place. You can enter your address on Election Manitoba’s website to find advance polls close to you, and your polling place for election day.

Take identification; here’s what types of ID can be used. Show your identification and your voters card, if you brought one, to election officials.  They’ll give you a ballot in a “secrecy sleeve.”

Take your ballot behind the screen and fill in the name of the candidate of your choice.  If you need assistance, an election official can help you or you can take someone with you to help.

Put your ballot back in the “secrecy sleeve” and give it to the election official at the ballot box. He or she will put your ballot in the box or vote-counting machine.

If you don’t have identification but you are on the voters list: You can still vote on election day (but not in an advance polls). A registered voter in your electoral division who has acceptable ID can vouch for you. The person signs an oath affirming your identity.

Vouching is acceptable only if you are on the voter’s list, and a voter can only vouch for one other voter.

If you’re not on the voters list but you have acceptable ID: You can still vote. You’ll take an oath confirming your identity. If none of your ID shows your address, you’ll also have to sign a declaration of address.

I’m not in Manitoba to vote!

Are you a snowbird? Canadian Armed Forces member? Temporarily studying or working far from home?

If you expect to be outside Manitoba Sept. 23 to 30 and on Oct. 3 — or if you’ll be in Manitoba but far away from advance or regular polling places — you can vote with an absentee ballot.

Apply on Election Manitoba’s website or at your local election office. You can also fill out this form and mail it.

Absentee ballots must be returned by 8 p.m. on Oct. 3, 2023.

Elections Manitoba suggests you apply before Sept. 22, otherwise you might not receive the ballot in time to return it. If you apply after Sept. 22, you might need to pay for faster delivery service for your ballot to arrive by Oct. 3.

Local election offices cannot accept applications for absentee ballots after Sept. 30.

Vote, don’t complain 

By: EditorialPosted: 5:30 PM CDT Wednesday, Sep. 6, 2023

The easiest thing in the world is to sit back and listen, offering nothing, while a group tries to figure out where to go for dinner — and then grouse, after the fact, about the restaurant that everyone else picked.

Having put nothing into making the choice, you somehow still feel uniquely empowered to complain about it. The food was cold, the appetizers were too spicy, everything on the menu was too expensive, and you’ve never liked the place anyway.

And did we also mention, welcome to the provincial election.

There are less than a scant four weeks until Manitobans go to the polls to pick their next premier and provincial government. It’s not a long time.

For weeks already, provincial politicians have been wooing voters in the unofficial campaign — now, the harder sell will start, with the governing Progressive Conservatives and the opposition parties trying to find the right levers to pull to get you on their side. Platforms, policies, promises — heck, you might even get a politician or two at your front door.

And at the end of it, it will be time for you to make your choice.

Your individual, alone-at-the-ballot-box, private choice.

It’s not our job to tell you who to pick. In fact, it would be arrogant of us to feel we had the right to try and impose our choice on voters.

But what we will tell you is that you should do your research, and above all else, vote.

The choice you make by voting will help shape the political direction for the province for the next four years or so.

Is the main issue that you care about how much you pay in taxes? There are particular party platforms you might appreciate.

Is it the importance of a social safety net for all Manitobans? There’s no doubt a party catering to that as well.

There are plenty of opinions about what issues are the most important, and all of them are worth considering.

We’ll do our part to help — we’ll present platforms and positions, along with submitted opinion pieces on our opinion pages, all through the campaign in an effort to help you have the tools you need to make a choice.

It’s worth pointing out that, in the last provincial election, the voter turnout was 55 per cent of eligible voters.

The turnout has hovered around the 55-57 per cent mark for the last few provincial elections — which, of course, means that a government can be picked with the direct support of well less than 30 per cent of the Manitobans who are eligible to cast a ballot.

And that has direct implications on whether or not a government feels it needs to serve all Manitobans.

The smaller the pool of voting Manitobans, the easier it is for specific interest groups to set the political agenda. A small group of dedicated, single-issue voters has a disproportionate amount of power in a democracy where close to a majority of eligible voters don’t even cast a ballot.

Your vote doesn’t just elect a government — it also diminishes the power of niche groups to exert influence.

Voting, however, is not a command performance: it is one of the duties of citizenship.

It’s still your choice to decide to vote or to stay away from the polling booth on Oct. 3.

But if the next government is too spicy or too expensive for your taste, never forget that you had your chance to help pick the restaurant.

Sit on your hands, and you’ll eat what you’re served. For every one of the next four years.

And perhaps you will have surrendered your right to even complain.

Vote, don’t complain – Winnipeg Free Press

Edited by Wideleft

• Rich locked this topic