2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

11 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So do the Argos hand the keys to Chad Kelly or do they deal for Evans? Have to assume the Cats demand a lot for their QEW rivals.

At this point, if your the Cats, you take anything for Evans.  It's not like He'll be on the roster  come May..If Pinball calls and offers a 7th rounder, You take it!

10 minutes ago, holoman said:

At this point, if your the Cats, you take anything for Evans.  It's not like He'll be on the roster  come May..If Pinball calls and offers a 7th rounder, You take it!

Or Evans can ask for a release so he can go to the USFL.  This ain't by no means a guaranteed Argos cheap acquisition.

45 minutes ago, bluto said:

With McLeod, we were the presumptive favorites to win the East.

Now, we may have the best overall roster, but without a proven QB1 we're in a fight.

Very slight favorites even with MBT. Now you are fighting for your playoff lives without him. 

32 minutes ago, bluto said:

They can't/won't keep Evans.

Likely they've suspected that MBT wasn't returning and didn't want to release Evans so he could immediately drive up the QEW to us. They'll hold him as long as they can.

I'm sure that the Argos first round pick this year will have him driving up the QEW sooner than TC. However, Evans is still a big downgrade. Hamilton has to be considered the heavy favorite in the East now.

Edited by GCn20

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

If I'm Hamilton I'm holding Evans as long and possible. Through TC would be ideal. I wouldn't want to give TO a starting caliber QB even if they were offering the world. Remember who is hosting the GC this year.

Not a chance that they'd risk him getting a 2023 playbook to give us.

This happens before TC but after any meaningful onboarding that would usually have occurred. 

3 minutes ago, bluto said:

Not a chance that they'd risk him getting a 2023 playbook to give us.

This happens before TC but after any meaningful onboarding that would usually have occurred. 

Who says they will give him a playbook? However, if he reports to camp he is due a bonus so they can release him on the eve of TC if TO is unwilling to pay the king's ransom Hammy will be asking.

Edited by GCn20

It's been apparent since the Cats got BLM that Evans and his contract were not in their plans. Hamilton can't keep him.

And now we have confirmation (likely days after The Argo's GM-By-Committee had it) that MBT isn't back and we have a Starting Quarterback sized space in our salary structure.

Seems like it will happen. 

I've had fellow Argo supporters decrying to me over the last several weeks how "classless" Hamilton is for not releasing him when they know darn well that he isn't going to be a Ti-Cat this year. I disagree. Even though it'd be a nice gesture for their former player to be given this time to figure out his future (and many teams do this for the player as a matter of course), it is Stein's job to figure out a way of DeThroning the Argos. He is under no obligation to release a player that can help us a day before he has to.

But who knows? Perhaps they bow to what now seems to be inevitable and agree to release Evans for a late rounder... better to get something rather than nothing and end up with the same ultimate result.

Edited by bluto

Evans wants to start... there's really only one or two landing spots for him. Toronto and maybe Montreal (which would be hilarious, 'cause eff Faj...)..... also he'd be an upgrade over Corny in Edm (almost anyone would), but I really think Jones is crazy enough to think he can make it work with Corny, so he might not pull the trigger. BC, Calgary, Sask, Winnipeg, Ham, Ott are all committed to a starter, so those are not really possible landing spots, IMO.....

1 minute ago, Mike said:

It's too bad Bombers can't get Dane. Either way, I predict he goes to the Argos for a fourth and a neg list player.

That seems a lot to give up for 2 extra off season months of a guy that they can't keep anyway... But I wouldn't be mad about it.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Bane is 5'9 - 180. Fast for sure, but the knock on him is he is easily taken off his route if a DB plays him physical at the line. Maybe he gets better at it, but they had the same guy in Moore really, only Moore was a more polished receiver. Bane needs to be seriously coached up, and it's why he played his way OUT of Calgary's lineup.

My take on the RIders is that they still only possess 2 OL that are starting calibre players, and both of those are well below league average. They have no OTs to speak of, and Ferland is not starting calibre in this league. Their receiving corps is the worst in the league by A LOT, and their QB is a guy who has demonstrated he is not very capable when teams pressure him.  On defence, they have lost one half of a good LBer duo, and their DL and secondary look average at best. This is a last place recipe.

Based on how many guys the Riders put offers on and were rejected by, the people who want to go to the Gap this year are a very small minority. JOD swung and missed a crap load in FA this year. A lot of players reportedly took less money to go elsewhere. Imagine how much better the RIders look if they get Couture, Desjarlais, and Figueroa for instance and that is just 3 of many that took less money elsewhere.

That right there would have been the only quick fix they could have made...costly, at expense of pretty much anything else of value...tho they didnt really pay a proper amount as is for value...over payed for average value....so guess that is sorta moot....but was never gonna happen landing 3 oline studs who would have instantly put them in top 4 olines in league...sucks to be them

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

It’s a compromise. They don’t have to trade him to you, you pay that price to avoid the risk that someone else picks him up.

We're also making the presumption that he wants to be an Argo. If he doesn't, it's moot. If he does, maybe he just holds out until he gets what he wants. His agent bent Hamilton over once before...

26 minutes ago, Mike said:

It’s a compromise. They don’t have to trade him to you, you pay that price to avoid the risk that someone else picks him up.

On the open market, and knowing that Montreal could not give Fajardo any up front money, I would not discount the very real possibility that Montreal might make a move on Evans if he hit the open market and just send CoFaj packing. They have zero dollars tied up in him right now, and won't until he plays for them. For that reason, I think that Evans's rights are far more valuable than a 4th rounder. Hammy isn't giving Toronto a QB for less than a 1st rounder imo.

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

On the open market, and knowing that Montreal could not give Fajardo any up front money, I would not discount the very real possibility that Montreal might make a move on Evans if he hit the open market and just send CoFaj packing. They have zero dollars tied up in him right now, and won't until he plays for them. For that reason, I think that Evans's rights are far more valuable than a 4th rounder. Hammy isn't giving Toronto a QB for less than a 1st rounder imo.

Hamilton is cutting him anyway. 

As it sits, they've nearly $1M in committed salary to 2 QBs... 

6 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

The guy would have lost the GC had he played the whole game. 

Got a ring, ditched on the parade then called it a day in the CFL

so much this...have hated that guy since he was a back-up in our camp. Bag-Full-Of-Cats levels of crazy....**** that guy.