Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

9 hours ago, Booch said:

have to say it again...an injury that didnt require surgery to reconstruct...and he wasnt a starter or on active roster often in first yr, and worked into the role in his second....and just turned 30....so in his prime....no worries there....and he was the biggest loss to team last year.....moreso than BA.....

Would you be comfortable going into camp with kyrie biggie clements and the usual sts guys? Under 25 games between the two this year is a slam dunk. And we have no next man up. 
 You can quantify endlessly. Missing that many games on an Achilles is worrisome. Compare him under those quantifications to wynton mcmanis. Or jsk. Or Avery Williams. Or Thurman etc. you could probably come up with 10 lber pairings that you would expect more out of. Other teams are developing and finding lber gems. Mean while we run out roll players who wouldn’t start for half the league for half our season. 

14 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Would you be comfortable going into camp with kyrie biggie clements and the usual sts guys? Under 25 games between the two this year is a slam dunk. And we have no next man up. 
 You can quantify endlessly. Missing that many games on an Achilles is worrisome. Compare him under those quantifications to wynton mcmanis. Or jsk. Or Avery Williams. Or Thurman etc. you could probably come up with 10 lber pairings that you would expect more out of. Other teams are developing and finding lber gems. Mean while we run out roll players who wouldn’t start for half the league for half our season. 

Both would start on any team in the league...thinking otherwise is foolish

I comfortable with the starters at LB yup...depth behind we don't know as not even a day of TC has occured yet...let alone the full TC roster and 2023 draft picks ..so judging anything now and doin a forward looking prognosis based on the past is pointless and proves nothing...and have seen many guys come back and play just fine after an Achilles rebuild..a slight tear that requires no surgery has wayyyy better prognosis long term than a restructured one...and takes way less rehab and coddling...as it was Wilson was working out..running and doing things full bore by last game or 2 of season but was not rostered because he would have needed several solid weeks of playing to be game effective...at that point in season there was no time

On 2023-03-04 at 11:01 AM, Booch said:

Both would start on any team in the league...thinking otherwise is foolish

I comfortable with the starters at LB yup...depth behind we don't know as not even a day of TC has occured yet...let alone the full TC roster and 2023 draft picks ..so judging anything now and doin a forward looking prognosis based on the past is pointless and proves nothing...and have seen many guys come back and play just fine after an Achilles rebuild..a slight tear that requires no surgery has wayyyy better prognosis long term than a restructured one...and takes way less rehab and coddling...as it was Wilson was working out..running and doing things full bore by last game or 2 of season but was not rostered because he would have needed several solid weeks of playing to be game effective...at that point in season there was no time

Maybe two years ago. Not any more. 
 About lber you can. Because we didn’t bring any one in last year. 

15 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Last year is last year, this year is this year, Needs are different every year. One cannot extrapolate that we will not be bringing in LBers to compete because last year we were thin on them. 

17 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Wasn't Clements brought in last year? And what's his face that played Sam though I guess that's not really a part of the LB position anymore.

On 2023-03-06 at 8:49 AM, GCn20 said:

Last year is last year, this year is this year, Needs are different every year. One cannot extrapolate that we will not be bringing in LBers to compete because last year we were thin on them. 

If that was the case we wouldn’t be running back with a mostly same roster as three years ago. 

On 2023-03-06 at 10:03 AM, Bigblue204 said:

Wasn't Clements brought in last year? And what's his face that played Sam though I guess that's not really a part of the LB position anymore.

he was brought in at the end of the year. Clements was quickly and frequently exposed. Yeah I’m not counting Sam as a lber spot, some guys bring extra in the box value but it’s a 4-2 league now. 

On 2023-03-06 at 10:49 AM, 17to85 said:

And Clements got hurt too after showing OK as a stop gap for a while. 

This team really was hammered by injuries last season. 

that’s the game though. Could’ve been a whole lot worse. but it’s a big reason why the mafia have to bring in more better quality depth in the front than last year. 

21 hours ago, Noeller said:

Sounds like Hansen will be nip n tuck to be ready for the start of the season.... 

hopefully he comes back strong and can stay healthy. Love that guy and what he brings. Especially losing kongbo to the nfl we need that guy rotating. 

On 3/3/2023 at 7:27 PM, wbbfan said:

We loaded up on offense this off season If Schoen has another big year he'll demand a big payday or he'll be gone to another CFL team. He may try another kick at the can in the NFL. Either way we'll have to pay. What will that do to some high priced veterans? I think some older players will be retiring or moving on. That will open up some more cap space to bring in some defensive players into the mix.

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We loaded up on offense this off season If Schoen has another big year he'll demand a big payday or he'll be gone to another CFL team. He may try another kick at the can in the NFL. Either way we'll have to pay. What will that do to some high priced veterans? I think some older players will be retiring or moving on. That will open up some more cap space to bring in some defensive players into the mix.

I believe the CFL is expecting a pretty big bump to the SMS when the US TV contract is finally officially signed. Even now, around the league, we are seeing some contracts that are head scratchers but would make sense if the GMs happen to know a little more than we do. I will not worry about Schoen until it is time to do so. I would never have imagined we could create the cap space to bring back Lawler this year...but somehow Walters made it happen.

16 hours ago, wbbfan said:

If that was the case we wouldn’t be running back with a mostly same roster as three years ago. 

he was brought in at the end of the year. Clements was quickly and frequently exposed. Yeah I’m not counting Sam as a lber spot, some guys bring extra in the box value but it’s a 4-2 league now. 

that’s the game though. Could’ve been a whole lot worse. but it’s a big reason why the mafia have to bring in more better quality depth in the front than last year. 

hopefully he comes back strong and can stay healthy. Love that guy and what he brings. Especially losing kongbo to the nfl we need that guy rotating. 

So because we have Bighill and Wilson back it is your belief that Walters will not look for LBers for depth and secession planning? I disagree and believe your logic is flawed on this. Last year Walters had Biggie and Wilson coming off all star level seasons, there was no urgency. This year is quite different and I expect to see more MLB/WIL Lbers in camp and on the PR this year. Who we are starting is irrelevant to that discussion. Biggie and Wilson when healthy are one of the best MACK/WIL duos in the CFL. They are aging and I expect recruitment for their future replacements has picked up steam. Just because no one emerged out of camp last year is 100% irrelevant to this year.