Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

If Aumel's take was that the D is bad, I disagree.

What @DTonOBwrote is pretty spot on.

As others such as @Mikeand @JuranBoldenRulesand @SpeedFlex27have written, secondary looks good but we need work at defensive tackle. We need at least a DI who can rotate in at DE with the Jeffs. We need a national to rotate in on the DL or at Linebacker. We could use a linebacker who can play wil and mike as a di.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Lol not a single mention of Casey Sayles going away in free agency and zero  mentions of how we have not addressed our d-line and how poor it is?     Not a single negative post about how this team is aging and how we haven't replaced our all stars with other teams all stars?    I don't believe you read this site.  

I don’t believe you read his post.

He specifically bolded:

So instead of saying this team is going to suck and Walters sucks for not over paying on free agents

And to be honest, I dont recall a single poster saying either.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

And Darby.

And hopefully 18 games outta Jeffcoat, and as much s Rose was maligned here....healthy right out of the gate with a full camp for Lawrence....we gonna be just fine on defense....we were basically playing banged up all yr, and missing key pieces...and basically still had leagues best unit

17 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Bombers just signed this guy:

Sounds like a potential replacement for Sayles, who can move around.

"NFL.com rated South Carolina’s Aaron Sterling as one of the top undrafted players coming from the 2022 draft class. Despite being 6’2 250, Sterling played multiple positions in college all over the defensive format at DT, LB, and DE. That type of versatility could be an asset for D.C.".

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/xfl-2023-a-deep-dive-into-the-d-c-defenders-defense-and-supplemental-draft-options/

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

watching that clip, I'm more embarrassed for the RT than I am impressed by the DE. You should never get roller-skated that bad by anyone, let alone someone 100lbs lighter than you...

I'd love to see more plays of Sterling rushing the passer. He got great leverage on the RT & used his momentum to push him away. If he had a big gut he'd look like Reggie White as that was his move.

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Sounds like a potential replacement for Sayles, who can move around.

"NFL.com rated South Carolina’s Aaron Sterling as one of the top undrafted players coming from the 2022 draft class. Despite being 6’2 250, Sterling played multiple positions in college all over the defensive format at DT, LB, and DE. That type of versatility could be an asset for D.C.".

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/xfl-2023-a-deep-dive-into-the-d-c-defenders-defense-and-supplemental-draft-options/

Photo of Aaron Sterling

Aaron Sterling

School: South Carolina

Position: DL

6-2250lb (188cm, 113kg)

“It makes me more versatile,” Sterling said. “I can rush from the edge or rush from the inside. It helps me look better on film. Playing defensive tackle in high school, it helped me stay low and leverage. I learned to take on some double teams and that kind of helped me. I feel good about it.”

Sterling, who had his 2018 season cut short due to a meniscus injury, had 15 tackles, which included three for a loss, over eight games as a sophomore. He made his first career start last season, which came against this week’s opponent, his home state Georgia Bulldogs.

This year, Sterling is already ahead of his tackles for loss total from a year ago and one behind in total tackles, currently sitting with 14. He also has one pass breakup and three hits on the quarterback to his credit. He has forced and recovered a fumble this year as well.
“He’s willing to do a lot of the unselfish things,” Muschamp said. “Aaron, to me, is an old throwback player. He’s that type of guy in the way he practices, the way he goes about his business. He’s been a guy who goes out there and handles his business every single day. I appreciate his work ethic, mentality and his attitude.”

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

It’s not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Not nearly as applicable on the grid iron. Especially in the trenches. Don’t see many under sized dominant linemen. 

The hot take on the defense seems like an attempt at stirring the pot. The type of comment that won’t be remember if we are good but that can be flaunted if our d isn’t. 

I’m not worried about the secondary. We got more starters than spots. 

We need a nose / pass rushing dt. Hansen will go a long way to give us the rotation at de again.  We do need depth in that role though. 

last year our lb crop in camp was the most underwhelming we’ve seen in the mafia era. If biggie had gone down instead of kyrie we’d a been totally screwed. As it is he’s dropping off in play. We can’t bank on kyrie and biggie alone. We need a strong batch of lbers to push and be ready as the next man up. 

we have done a phenomenal job of developing and finding dl. We need one rotational depth pass rusher, a rotational depth lber who can step in and perform at a high level, and an impact dt. 
 De and lber is extremely talent rich in football. I’m not worried. 

18 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Not nearly as applicable on the grid iron. Especially in the trenches. Don’t see many under sized dominant linemen. 

The hot take on the defense seems like an attempt at stirring the pot. The type of comment that won’t be remember if we are good but that can be flaunted if our d isn’t. 

I’m not worried about the secondary. We got more starters than spots. 

We need a nose / pass rushing dt. Hansen will go a long way to give us the rotation at de again.  We do need depth in that role though. 

last year our lb crop in camp was the most underwhelming we’ve seen in the mafia era. If biggie had gone down instead of kyrie we’d a been totally screwed. As it is he’s dropping off in play. We can’t bank on kyrie and biggie alone. We need a strong batch of lbers to push and be ready as the next man up. 

we have done a phenomenal job of developing and finding dl. We need one rotational depth pass rusher, a rotational depth lber who can step in and perform at a high level, and an impact dt. 
 De and lber is extremely talent rich in football. I’m not worried. 

Having Kyrie back this year is going to make a massive difference to Biggie and the LBers in general. Wilson is freakishly fast and it really hurt our defensive scheme having him out last year.

23 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Having Kyrie back this year is going to make a massive difference to Biggie and the LBers in general. Wilson is freakishly fast and it really hurt our defensive scheme having him out last year.

He is and he was the hands down modp in the league until he went down last year. 
 But wrong side of 30 coming off an Achilles only played 18 games once in 5 seasons. Only played more than 7 games once. 
 You need depth at every position to account for injuries. More so at lber. 
 Wilson and biggie are bankable as starters but at this point you need to treat them like an ni starter between both. Have a back up that can take their spot ready in order to start them. 

34 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He is and he was the hands down modp in the league until he went down last year. 
 But wrong side of 30 coming off an Achilles only played 18 games once in 5 seasons. Only played more than 7 games once. 
 You need depth at every position to account for injuries. More so at lber. 
 Wilson and biggie are bankable as starters but at this point you need to treat them like an ni starter between both. Have a back up that can take their spot ready in order to start them. 

have to say it again...an injury that didnt require surgery to reconstruct...and he wasnt a starter or on active roster often in first yr, and worked into the role in his second....and just turned 30....so in his prime....no worries there....and he was the biggest loss to team last year.....moreso than BA.....