2022 CFL Season - Back 2 Back Champs News

JCon

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yes, those are the 2 guys. Spent their entire careers on NFL practice rosters & never played a single game. And man, did we get updates. All the ******* time. They were by far, the 2 greatest players who never played. Ugh! So glad when they both retired. 

To be clear, I don't expect Streveler to return... I just don't think the Jets are the best place for him to prosper as a QB.

As for him trying to stick in the NFL.... Can you blame him? Most players make at least double what they would up here, often more.

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yes, those are the 2 guys. Spent their entire careers on NFL practice rosters & never played a single game. And man, did we get updates. All the ******* time. They were by far, the 2 greatest players who never played. Ugh! So glad when they both retired. 

But they never played. Strev will absolutely return to the CFL when his prospects have dried up.

I don't think he's going to return to Winnipeg. I know a few blue-gogglers like to talk about all this cap space we're saving for him, but why would he sign a 2-year deal to back up Zach when he could get a better opportunity tp start elsewhere?

13 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Schoen has been wr #2 since the jump. The opportunities are not the same lol

He took number 2. Demski Bailey ellingson and woli all came in with more experience and  with collaros no less. 

it’s not old us football lol. Being no1 or no2 sb or wide out does not mean you are just running guys off or being the pick guy in a run route. The layering concepts run here especially in our offense means who ever gets open succeeds. Bailey has been in wr1 spot and has hardly done any thing this year. 

but this offense also moves wrs around a lot. You might be sb3 but you’ll see snaps all over the field. Unless you are woli and blocking half the time if you can’t get pass attempts in this offense it’s all on you. 

they didn’t just demote Bailey etc for schoen based on camp lmao. Schoen gets open. 

2 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

To be clear, I don't expect Streveler to return... I just don't think the Jets are the best place for him to prosper as a QB.

As for him trying to stick in the NFL.... Can you blame him? Most players make at least double what they would up here, often more.

I think it’s a matter of time. When he’s 29 the nfl isn’t still gonna be calling. Come that time I 100% think he’d come back here or to the cfl in general to get a chance to actually play. He loved it here. 

21 minutes ago, Jesse said:

But they never played. Strev will absolutely return to the CFL when his prospects have dried up.

I don't think he's going to return to Winnipeg. I know a few blue-gogglers like to talk about all this cap space we're saving for him, but why would he sign a 2-year deal to back up Zach when he could get a better opportunity tp start elsewhere?

I don’t see him walking into a starting job anywhere but maybe Edmonton…who has started a different QB every other game this season.

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why are you so angry about it? I mean I get people can ***** and moan about a high pick on Mulumba who never played, but most of the top athletes from that draft were going to the NFL, they gambled on Mulumba being one who wouldn't get that shot. But why Bilukidi? He was a mid or late round pick that they took a chance on coming back from the NFL. Kyle Walters had take some of those risks too. Just what you have to do sometimes in the CFL draft. 

Not worth being angry about at this point. 

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

I don’t see him walking into a starting job anywhere but maybe Edmonton…who has started a different QB every other game this season.

Maybe not walking into a starting job, but there's plenty of opportunities to jump into one soon. 

Literally every team except for us, BC, and Calgary would have tried their #2 if they had one - or already has.

I’ll say based on what I’ve seen out of Collaros in our second full season here that I wouldn’t sign any receiver who is less than about 6’2…6’ for sure.

Hamilton had it right when he was going there too.  Field was lined up 6’3-6’5…Banks just returned kicks.

Collaros is a downfield guy and unless you have someone real special like Dressler or Demski that means you need tall and wide receivers.

Wouldn’t waste time on McKnight, trying to make Grant into something on O, even Bailey doesn’t fit great aside from the odd big play into the downfield stuff trying to make him a screen guy.

Schoen, Ellingson, Agudosi, Lawler, even Darvin Adams in 19…immediate chemistry with Collaros…all big dudes.

20 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Right now I think ott and ssk would start him immediately atleast while their starters get healthy. I also think ham would seriously consider benching evans for streveler. He did fine off the bench and their offense worked a lot better with a mobile qb. 

16 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I’ll say based on what I’ve seen out of Collaros in our second full season here that I wouldn’t sign any receiver who is less than about 6’2…6’ for sure.

Hamilton had it right when he was going there too.  Field was lined up 6’3-6’5…Banks just returned kicks.

Collaros is a downfield guy and unless you have someone real special like Dressler or Demski that means you need tall and wide receivers.

Wouldn’t waste time on McKnight, trying to make Grant into something on O, even Bailey doesn’t fit great aside from the odd big play into the downfield stuff trying to make him a screen guy.

Schoen, Ellingson, Agudosi, Lawler, even Darvin Adams in 19…immediate chemistry with Collaros…all big dudes.

Enjoyed your insight

42 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Why are you so angry about it? I mean I get people can ***** and moan about a high pick on Mulumba who never played, but most of the top athletes from that draft were going to the NFL, they gambled on Mulumba being one who wouldn't get that shot. But why Bilukidi? He was a mid or late round pick that they took a chance on coming back from the NFL. Kyle Walters had take some of those risks too. Just what you have to do sometimes in the CFL draft. 

Mulumba wasn't a bad pick TBH - he just barely caught on in the NFL as an undrafted free agent with the Packers.  That doesn't happen and there is a extremely good chance he plays in Blue and Gold (and based on the little bit of time he played in the NFL, would have shown well in the CFL).

We even got a little unlucky - if the Packer's hadn't had the freak occurrence of all their linebackers getting injured it's entirely likely Mulumba would never have gotten off the practice roster... Never gets off the practice roster means he probably doesn't get a look after GB which maybe means he's maybe still looking to play football after the NFL was done with him in 2014/2015.

what I remember about the Mulumba situation is that Mack had an in with the Packers, and they told him there was a slim-to-none chance he was going to make the team and that it was fairly safe to draft him for the CFL. It was a total fluke that the guy carved out a career and never made it up here.

The worst part of the early-mid 2010s picks was no one wanted to play here anyway.  We wouldn't have got a Kongbo type guy who just had to wait on the NFL to even show up versus by the end of the decade we had the culture where guys knew they'd get a shot that would both be an enjoyable experience and set them up to get into the NFL too.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

He took number 2. Demski Bailey ellingson and woli all came in with more experience and  with collaros no less. 

it’s not old us football lol. Being no1 or no2 sb or wide out does not mean you are just running guys off or being the pick guy in a run route. The layering concepts run here especially in our offense means who ever gets open succeeds. Bailey has been in wr1 spot and has hardly done any thing this year. 

but this offense also moves wrs around a lot. You might be sb3 but you’ll see snaps all over the field. Unless you are woli and blocking half the time if you can’t get pass attempts in this offense it’s all on you. 

they didn’t just demote Bailey etc for schoen based on camp lmao. Schoen gets open. 

I think it’s a matter of time. When he’s 29 the nfl isn’t still gonna be calling. Come that time I 100% think he’d come back here or to the cfl in general to get a chance to actually play. He loved it here. 

Yes I agree. I'm not saying he's played in what is traditionally the #2 spot. I'm saying he's consistently been put into a position to be the #2 because he's earned that and he has the skill set to succeed, this not only means where he lines up but the schemes and routes he's been a part of/able to run. Mcknight has not been put in to those opportunities because he likely doesn't have the skill to succeed. 

We're essentially arguing the same thing. I'm just saying Schoen is better and has therefore been given more opportunities. I believe you're saying Mcknight has been given the same opportunities but hasn't done anything with them. On that, we will have to agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

what I remember about the Mulumba situation is that Mack had an in with the Packers, and they told him there was a slim-to-none chance he was going to make the team and that it was fairly safe to draft him for the CFL. It was a total fluke that the guy carved out a career and never made it up here.

wasn't it like Casey Creehan or something had a connection to mulumba?

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

It's not like the current regime wasted picks on guys like Faith Ekatikakakekeke  or Addison Richards and so forth..... 

15 minutes ago, Brandon said:

It's not like the current regime wasted picks on guys like Faith Ekatikakakekeke  or Addison Richards and so forth..... 

Lol i remember the hype around Faith Ekakitie. He was going to be the next great Canadian defensive player ala Henoc Muamba. From 1st overall pick to being outright released the year after. Poster boy for bust(well maybe Ryan Leaf holds that distinction).

41 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

wasn't it like Casey Creehan or something had a connection to mulumba?

That could be. Someone got them an invite to an off-season coaching clinic with the Packers that I recall as being a really big deal at the time. Lapo and other coaches of the time went down there to learn from them. So we had connections, anyhow, and whoever that connection was, told Mack what he told him about Mulumba....

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Especially since GB was already stacked at linebacker + had drafted a number of high picks at the position in recent history

Everything lined up perfectly injury wise to give him a chance at seeing the field.

37 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Speaking of Creehan, he is currently a special teams and offensive assistant coach for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, still milking his contacts.

his "mic-ed up" screaming at Kenny Maynor (??) during TC of 2011 or whenever it was, will live in infamy........