2022 CFL Season - Back 2 Back Champs News

JCon

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

and his polar opposite: Ricky Ray.

Ray originally had a great arm, only in his last few years in T.O. after shoulder surgery was he forced to rely on the dink and dunk passing game.  There is an interview on the Waggle Podcast were he discusses this.

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

Ray originally had a great arm, only in his last few years in T.O. after shoulder surgery was he forced to rely on the dink and dunk passing game.  There is an interview on the Waggle Podcast were he discusses this.

Ray was never a "physical tools" guy, though. He's a guy who out-thought everyone else. He became the 3rd greatest QB in CFL history because he was smarter than everyone else. It's not that he was Russ Michna or anything, but he was not a physical tools guy. 

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

No other QB in this league right now has an arm in the same realm as Collaros.  Rourke can throw rainbows if he has time to torque his entire body.

Collaros can throw a 35 yard rope that lands like a pillow on a full roll to his left as a right handed QB like the 2nd Schoen TD.  Fajardo or Harris or MBT can't make that pass with unlimited time in a clean pocket.

Fajardo can hardly make a throw past 12 yards standing clean in the pocket with nobody pressuring him.....

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Intelligence is the #1 thing I want out of any QB. Physical tools are whatever...if you can't figure out how to read a defense, you're useless to me. 

and to be honest, and nt trying to be rude....but I don't think that the Faj is that intelligent based on some of the quotes you see from him in media/interviews, and his babyness on social media...I don't think he was held enough as a child or praised much

36 minutes ago, Booch said:

Fajardo can hardly make a throw past 12 yards standing clean in the pocket with nobody pressuring him.....

and to be honest, and nt trying to be rude....but I don't think that the Faj is that intelligent based on some of the quotes you see from him in media/interviews, and his babyness on social media...I don't think he was held enough as a child or praised much

Are we really sure that University of Nevada, Reno isn't just code for "home schooled"?

37 minutes ago, Booch said:

Considering how most of what he does that is good in the passing game comes when he is simply running around yeah I'd agree not overly smart. Can make something happen on broken plays and has good escapability, but if you keep him in the pocket he is completely useless.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Considering how most of what he does that is good in the passing game comes when he is simply running around yeah I'd agree not overly smart. Can make something happen on broken plays and has good escapability, but if you keep him in the pocket he is completely useless.

complete and utterly....i get a kick out of him trying to throw even a deepish shot....watch replays how he has to just heave the hell out of it...with all his might to just get out a hanging duck that is a looping pile of nothing

6 hours ago, Rod Black said:

Tom Clements. Remarkable intellect, I think. University at Notre Dame grad. While still in the CFL he graduated Juris Doctor degree magma cum laude from Notre Dame Law school in 1986. I don’t know what all the educational accomplishment means but it sure sounds ****** impressive and I guess he’s trained as a lawyer. 

He never practiced law. At least not for any length of time. His wife was a successful lawyer in Chicago. Tom became a full time NFL qb coach & coordinator working with guys like Andrew Luck, Brett Favre & Aaron Rodgers. He recently retired from coaching but was coaxed out of it by becoming the Packers qb coach for a second time. Apparently both Rodgers & Clements wanted to work together again. 

45 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He never practiced law. At least not for any length of time. His wife was a successful lawyer in Chicago. Tom became a full time NFL qb coach & coordinator working with guys like Andrew Luck, Brett Favre & Aaron Rodgers. He recently retired from coaching but was coaxed out of it by becoming the Packers qb coach for a second time. Apparently both Rodgers & Clements wanted to work together again. 

Clements worked as lawyer for Chicago Law firm Bell, Boyd, and Loyd for 5 years. He was great at reading defence statements and altering his attack. He was in no rush. Nothing blocked him when he passed his duties to a rookie partner when leaving and then was handed his coaching job. 

4 hours ago, Booch said:

complete and utterly....i get a kick out of him trying to throw even a deepish shot....watch replays how he has to just heave the hell out of it...with all his might to just get out a hanging duck that is a looping pile of nothing

yeah he just heaves it with everything he's got.... I actually get a laugh out of his "long" 😂passes.  

any faj pass over twenty yards .... ball should be marked "destination unknown". 😂

Edited by Mark F

On 2022-07-12 at 1:45 AM, johnzo said:

I went back and watched a bunch of Clements games over the past couple years and yeah, I agree.  Clements was a slippery guy and his field vision was so good that he could always find the open man and get the ball there.

I think Collaros is a better passer than Clements was, though.  Collaros' accuracy is something special, up there in the Ricky Ray tier as far as CFL guys go, and ZC definitely can put more mustard on the ball than TC could.

Hell, I think Hufnagel had a way better arm than Clements did, he put up some beauty rainbows in his day, but he didn't have Clements' uncanny radar and playmaking ability.

where, exactly, does one find games from the Clements era to watch? are they on youtube?

22 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Michael Bishop comes to mind. Million dollar arm, 10 cent brain. 

In todays game I’d say mbt. All the physical tools you could want in a drop back passer. No ability to turn that into succes. 

Collaros is the closest thing to prime Brett Favre I’ve seen. Crazy ability to keep a play alive and not just make all the throws but make strange releases and angles work. I don’t think collaros has ever met a 50/50 match up he didn’t like. As a bomber he is fully worthy of compare to flutie imo. 

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Picking up Ross sure would have looked smart now..tho luckily we can work the ratio where we don't need 2 Canadian recievers...so can see McRae fulltime...or maybe one of the PR dudes

Do we  do the waiver thing starting bottom to top In points gets first chance to sign him?

if not, yeah we probably missed an opportunity.