Derek Taylor (DT) named new voice of the Blue Bombers

JCon

8 hours ago, Jesse said:

I've heard some clips of his broadcasts and you can tell he's prepared and has the skill to do the job.

As a radio voice, he doesn't have the gravitas of Bob Irving, but maybe he stays for a generation and our kids are talking about him the way we do of Bob.

In Bob's case... grandchildren & great grandchildren. 

On 2022-02-23 at 10:40 AM, Noeller said:

As I mentioned in the other thread, this is pretty much exactly how I feel. I don't give two shits about all the weird stats, and the whole sports betting thing is Greek to me. I don't understand the language and don't care about it at all. 

Having said that, I understand it's a new generation and I'm a very old man....so it is what it is. I'm willing to give him a shot, tho I'm not as excited for the first pre-game show of the year as I would be in years past. The current generation of broadcasters don't do things in the same way guys of Bob's vintage did it....that's just a fact of life that I've got to adjust to, I suppose! 

All respect to you. When I'm your age I'll 100% feel the same way about how they do it then. Being almost forty now, though I'm crushed Bob is retiring, I do enjoy DT's take on things. In his interview with Ed Tait he said he gets that not everyone's a numbers person so he'll try to make things interesting and accessible. He did an interview with Hustler today too that was great. He said he spent 2 hours reviewing how Mike O'Shea manages coin flips, which he will no doubt share with Osh and will continue to offer helpful findings to the club. He mentioned a couple of interesting tidbits that I found enriched my appreciation of the team: 1) Greg Ellingson draws the most PI's of any receiver in the CFL and, 2) Collaros is the least sacked QB under pressure. Just my two cents.

On 2022-02-23 at 11:38 AM, BagBlieBulls said:

Top priority should be an official apology from DT for his comments about the bombers winning back to back cups making him want to vomit.

He said that? 

34 minutes ago, DTonOB said:

Just making my way through the decontamination chamber

Nice! DT's on the forum!! Woohooo. This is super cool. Gotta get you on my Bombers podcast man!!! 

1 hour ago, Letsgobomberspodcast said:

2) Collaros is the least sacked QB under pressure.

This one is pretty obvious to anyone who has watched his career. I remember when he was a ti-cat getting incredibly frustrated that they would have him dead to rights and he'd somehow manage to slip away and complete a pass. He's got a good ability to scramble while still keeping his eyes downfield. Lot of qbs just tuck and run when under pressure. He's got the combination of the athleticism to escape and the mental game to keep all his options open. 

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

This one is pretty obvious to anyone who has watched his career. I remember when he was a ti-cat getting incredibly frustrated that they would have him dead to rights and he'd somehow manage to slip away and complete a pass. He's got a good ability to scramble while still keeping his eyes downfield. Lot of qbs just tuck and run when under pressure. He's got the combination of the athleticism to escape and the mental game to keep all his options open. 

Collaros is athletic & smart. How many American qbs come up here with all the tools & just can't process what they see to make the right reads & throws?

On 2022-02-23 at 10:18 AM, Mike said:

Honestly maybe it’s just me, but I’m really not a big fan of this.

Never really cared for DT’s style. Also drives me nuts how he looks at the game (who cares who leads the CFL in passes caught for 7.5 yards or more without getting a first down after 8 pm on Fridays) but hey, I’ll give him a chance.

In fairness to DT, when you are working the booth with neanderthals like Mullinder, it is probably a good idea to just keep talking stats instead of letting the baboon next to you have air time. He won't have that problem if Doug Brown is back, he is a great color guy.

Edited by GCn20

5 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Welcome... if you're ever looking for insightful, unbias analysis that you want to feature on the pre-game show.... you probably won't find it here 😂

Pffft...he's been a member of Riderfans for a couple years now, compared to the bias over there we are like Switzerland in comparison.