Bye Bob (Irving Retirement)

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So, I know one guy who is now looking for work, has a long history already with the CFL and PBP, and has strong ties to Winnipeg to boot. 
BlackRod_HiRes2-210x154.jpg

And MBB goes bat s*** crazy in 3, 2, 1……..

I actually had this thought when I made my initial comment....but thought I'd keep that horrible thought to myself lol.

1 hour ago, Mr. Perfect said:

I actually had this thought when I made my initial comment....but thought I'd keep that horrible thought to myself lol.

I don't think you were the only one thinking this... Myself included.  Problem is is that he's got credentials, he's a Winnipeg boy, and has connections here.   It pains me to say this but it's possible they could be thinking about interviewing him for the vacancy.

Like many here, Bob Irving is the only voice of the Bombers I ever knew.   I'd always wonder how he would do in a play-by-play of hockey.   It was such an enjoyable experience listening to him.  Listening to an interview with Chris walby today, he said it best "There will never be another one like Bob".

Congratulations on your retirement Mr. Irving. Well deserved!

Thanks to the damned CFL agreement with TSN he won't call the Grey Cup for the Bombers if they make it. What a bunch of ****. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Perfect said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e473cu4hyam8r0wsngojo

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

I'm just so happy that the last several years he was delighted to be calling games and speaking with O'Shea.   It was really hard during the Mike Kelly year followed by the years of us being absolutely terrible... I was worried back then that he was going to retire on a downer.  

I remember sitting in a car driving back to Niverville from IGF after a loss in 2013 listening to Bob and Doug venting and just totally fed up and frustrated with yet another poor effort and embarrassing loss, and I was genuinely worried that Bob was just going to pack it in. For a guy who had seen so many great Bomber teams over the years it must have been so hard to watch Tim Burke and Joe Mack just stumble and fumble and deliver such an awful on-field product. You could just hear the passion and anger in Bob's voice, and I was feeling exactly the same way. Bob spoke for all of us.

Glad you hung in there Bob, and can go out on a season where we had the privilege to watch one of the best, most dominant and most professional Blue Bomber teams to ever pull on the uniform. The Bombers are great, but you make them even better. We love ya Bob!

Edited by kelownabomberfan

That memory of Bob eviserating the Bomber management and coaching staff live on air made me think of the Edmonton radio guy who was fired this year for criticizing Elks management.  Think about that. Imagine if the Bombers in 2013 had forced CJOB to fire Bob for being critical of their performance. There would have been rioting in the streets of Winnipeg.  There is no way anyone would have had the gonads to even try to touch Bob. He was/is untouchable.  And that's the way it should be.

• Mark H. changed the title to Bye Bob (Irving Retirement)
10 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I remember sitting in a car driving back to Niverville from IGF after a loss in 2013 listening to Bob and Doug venting and just totally fed up and frustrated with yet another poor effort and embarrassing loss, and I was genuinely worried that Bob was just going to pack it in. For a guy who had seen so many great Bomber teams over the years it must have been so hard to watch Tim Burke and Joe Mack just stumble and fumble and deliver such an awful on-field product. You could just hear the passion and anger in Bob's voice, and I was feeling exactly the same way. Bob spoke for all of us.

Glad you hung in there Bob, and can go out on a season where we had the privilege to watch one of the best, most dominant and most professional Blue Bomber teams to ever pull on the uniform. The Bombers are great, but you make them even better. We love ya Bob!

Couple a hosers... those two...

9 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

That memory of Bob eviscerating the Bomber management and coaching staff live on air made me think of the Edmonton radio guy who was fired this year for criticizing Elks management.  Think about that. Imagine if the Bombers in 2013 had forced CJOB to fire Bob for being critical of their performance. There would have been rioting in the streets of Winnipeg.  There is no way anyone would have had the gonads to even try to touch Bob. He was/is untouchable.  And that's the way it should be.

In fairness, Bob has a little more clout than Eddie Steele... though I believe Eddie should've never been fired for those comments...

15 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/cfl-commish-tsn-bombers-lets-get-this-right

If you can, share this on all your Social media platforms. Lets see if TSN can actually NOT **** something up. I'm doubtful but if anyone deserve it, it's Bob.

TSN paid for those rights.... I just shook my head at this article. How would this even work? Have two separate radio calls of the game? Bob does the entire national radio call of the game (its usually the TV B Team that does the radio cast of Grey Cup).... It just doesn't make any sense. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

TSN paid for those rights.... I just shook my head at this article. How would this even work? Have two separate radio calls of the game? Bob does the entire national radio call of the game (its usually the TV B Team that does the radio cast of Grey Cup).... It just doesn't make any sense. 

It's the Sun. Doesn't need to make sense as long as people talk about it. Tabloids are just interested in clicks and advertising, not critical thinking. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

It was 100% on Kelly,   he was so unprofessional answering questions.  

Hey, lay off Kelly. He doesn’t come to your job at McDonald’s and tell you how to salt the fries, does he? 🤣

What was the other insult he threw out at a listener, something about mom’s basement?

22 minutes ago, Noeller said:

That's what my initial thought was, but at the end he says they may not put it on the radio at all. It's worth a shot

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don’t mind Friesen trying to think outside the box here and get Irving a much deserved final call. Plus, every other game has two separate radio calls (home team and away team) so would actually be normal. 

Don't get me wrong... If it were up to me, Irving would be front and centre on December 12th. Just from a broadcast agreements standpoint, I can't figure this out. I suppose the simplest answer is "TSN radio doesn't have a Wpg affiliate, so let CJOB come and do the game locally" but I'm still not sure Bell allows it. Seeing Corus make money from "their" game would make the suits in Toronto physically ill... 

23 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Hey, lay off Kelly. He doesn’t come to your job at McDonald’s and tell you how to salt the fries, does he? 🤣

What was the other insult he threw out at a listener, something about mom’s basement?

Actually not only did he come to my McDonald's and complain about the lack of salt on his fries, he followed me home to my Mom's basement.

17 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Don't get me wrong... If it were up to me, Irving would be front and centre on December 12th. Just from a broadcast agreements standpoint, I can't figure this out. I suppose the simplest answer is "TSN radio doesn't have a Wpg affiliate, so let CJOB come and do the game locally" but I'm still not sure Bell allows it. Seeing Corus make money from "their" game would make the suits in Toronto physically ill... 

Sad but likely true. So we should push for TSN to do their patented extended in-booth “interview” with Bob in the 3rd quarter where they ask him to do some play-by-play. Just tell Suitor he is Keith Urban and they’ll be all over that. 

58 minutes ago, Noeller said:

$$$$$$$

Just now, 17to85 said:

$$$$$$$

I wonder if Corus could buy some kinda rights.... The issue is that nothing is local anymore. With online streaming, CJOB can, in theory, take a chunk out of Bell's radiocast. I just have such a hard time seeing two big corporates get along that much. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I wonder if Corus could buy some kinda rights.... The issue is that nothing is local anymore. With online streaming, CJOB can, in theory, take a chunk out of Bell's radiocast. I just have such a hard time seeing two big corporates get along that much. 

Well that's just it.  It would involve corus paying to broadcast the game. The other option would be for bell to hire Irving to call the game, but that would be bad optics for a national broadcast to have a home announcer. Though if anyone can be professional about it it'd be Irving.