Mourtada

Brandon

I still think for a draft pick or something that we could pluck either kicker out of Edmonton or Ottawa. Both team are reeling and picks for their future may be what they'll be looking for. I'd take Ward first as he's 6 years younger but I wouldn't say no to either.

5 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

this guy…

So this would give us some Hope?

40 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Bring in another international??

I like the distance. But all of those kicks are inside the hash marks. We’ve been seduced by player promotion video before. 

And for those debating giving up a precious first round pick for a kicker, quick, without looking it up, name each team’s first round pick this year. The first overall pick for the last 5 years. The Bombers’ first round picks the last 5 years. A CFL draft pick is not the cornerstone of a franchise some would think it is, IMO. I think they would be quite expendable for a guaranteed good leg. 
 But I agreed with the Taman philosophy that a proven vet was more valuable than a draft crapshoot. I know many saw that as foolish. 

After giving up our 1st last time for Collaros, I'd really prefer not doing that for a kicker. I just can't believe that there are so few kickers out there, that we'd give up a 1st rounder (likely a quality OL). Even if we're picking 9th, that's still a really good player there. 

Gotta be Ward. I would be willing to trade a first-round pick (if he signs a long-term contract) and an import DB (we seem to have a lot of them) and Liegghio. This is a sore spot that will cost us if we let it go on. Acquiring Ward would send a signal to the team and league that we're going for the brass ring again.

Just now, Tracker said:

Gotta be Ward. I would be willing to trade a first-round pick (if he signs a long-term contract) and an import DB (we seem to have a lot of them) and Liegghio. This is a sore spot that will cost us if we let it go on. Acquiring Ward would send a signal to the team and league that we're going for the brass ring again.

There's no such thing as LTCs in football. 

13 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So this would give us some Hope?

I like the distance. But all of those kicks are inside the hash marks. We’ve been seduced by player promotion video before. 

And for those debating giving up a precious first round pick for a kicker, quick, without looking it up, name each team’s first round pick this year. The first overall pick for the last 5 years. The Bombers’ first round picks the last 5 years. A CFL draft pick is not the cornerstone of a franchise some would think it is, IMO. I think they would be quite expendable for a guaranteed good leg. 
 But I agreed with the Taman philosophy that a proven vet was more valuable than a draft crapshoot. I know many saw that as foolish. 

Only foolish when you do it for 10 years.

51 minutes ago, Noeller said:

After giving up our 1st last time for Collaros, I'd really prefer not doing that for a kicker. I just can't believe that there are so few kickers out there, that we'd give up a 1st rounder (likely a quality OL). Even if we're picking 9th, that's still a really good player there. 

I was in the same boat but I have been swayed.

We are in a window to win and I think we should go for it. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The only Taman draft pick trade that made any sense - was the one for Alex Gauthier.  The long term effect of his approach is indefensible. That being said, I think if we can get Ward, it should be done, as a one time exception. 

Like Doug Brown said" what happens if the grey Cup comes down to 3 pts for the tie or win??" Giving up a high pick for a solid kicker is worth every penny,sure we're cruising right now but when our kickers are missing many field goals,missing converts consistently then I'd say kick tires before the trade deadline. I have no confidence in Legghio and Mourtada.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Yeah, I would prefer to keep the first rounder instead of getting a kicker .... but if it costs us the GC, I would give up that first rounder.

37 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

The only Taman draft pick trade that made any sense - was the one for Alex Gauthier.  The long term effect of his approach is indefensible. That being said, I think if we can get Ward, it should be done, as a one time exception. 

Taman was assistant GM and GM from 1999-2008 and among his most notable trades, he swapped a conditional draft pick and Chris Perez to BC for Moe Eliwonibi and Khari Jones in 2000. He traded a first and third round pick in 2001 to get the rights to Doug Brown (the first round pick given up turned into Jon Oosterhaus, who was cut by Calgary and scooped up by the Bombers anyway). He traded a first round pick in 2004 to land Kevin Glenn. and he swapped a conditional pick in 2008 to bring in Zeke Moreno. I agree long term it is not a good strategy to keep depth, but Gauthier was hardly the only good draft pick trade he made. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Kicking is about figuring out the angles & compensating for wind & weather as well as handling pressure. Seen none of that from Mourtada. He's a waste of a roster spot.

It’s weird since he continues to kick everything straight. I’m no kicker but one would think fixing an approach angle would be the simplest mechanical thing to fix. He is striking the ball well. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

It’s weird since he continues to kick everything straight. I’m no kicker but one would think fixing an approach angle would be the simplest mechanical thing to fix. He is striking the ball well. 

He needs to practice from impossible angles. Not to do tricks but to figure out how to kick field goals on angles from the right or left hash. Practice kicking into the wind & kicking against it. But it's too late now. He has to be cut. If he still wants to kick in the NFL & CFL he needs to get with a high end & high performance kicking coach after he leaves. As well as a sports psychologist. If anyone wants to play professional football then they have to put in the work. Practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more.