2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

30 minutes ago, Stickem said:

So the up coming dome game should tell us for sure IF we have a competent kicker on our roster...I know we aren't going to see any 55 yarders BUT both Mourtada and Leggs have the leg strength to put it through the uprights from inside the 50....It's the accuracy that seems to have eluded them...They better get it right (no pressure lol) or the hunt will be on for a kicker that can get it done...Like the coaches say ...'see the ball....kick the ball'....lose the yipps or you'll lose your seat on the flight home

I think itd aid legs a lot.  Mourtada couldnt hit any thing from the angle though and hit all his head on XPTs. So I think we will still be in the wind, so to speak.

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Is it true that Mourtada's first game as a pro kicker was with us 2 weeks ago?

He played for the "Massachusetts Pirates" of the Indoor Football League for a couple seasons, that's all I could ever find. Something like 75% on extra points and sub-50% on field goals... I have no idea what that game plays like so I don't know how those stats translate

17 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Is it true that Mourtada's first game as a pro kicker was with us 2 weeks ago?

Sort of. He played a handful of indoor league games.  Which honestly is more semi pro. 

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

He's only 31. He's just a kid. 

Yeah maybe he will he playing in the indoor league till he's 41. Don't think it'll he here barring a tremendous come back.

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, why did we sign a guy like this? It's almost a joke. That's quite a half page resume. 

He was a part of the NFL virtual work out and try out. He can put up good clips from head on with no one on the field. Like a work out warrior but the kicker version. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Sort of. He played a handful of indoor league games.  Which honestly is more semi pro. 

Yeah maybe he will he playing in the indoor league till he's 41. Don't think it'll he here barring a tremendous come back.

He was a part of the NFL virtual work out and try out. He can put up good clips from head on with no one on the field. Like a work out warrior but the kicker version. 

An experienced kicker can figure out angles, wind & field conditions as well as handling pressure. Every kicker misses makeable field goals but why did we sign a kicker who has none of that? I mean, I don't want to be overly negative so I hope he bounces back. 

17 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

An experienced kicker can figure out angles, wind & field conditions as well as handling pressure. Every kicker misses makeable field goals but why did we sign a kicker who has none of that? I mean, I don't want to be overly negative so I hope he bounces back. 

Well, he said the right things at practice about working on his angles and getting the mechanics right. Frustrated he let the team down, will only worry about what he can control. Felt like he hit the ball well, but needed to get the angles right, the bye week helped him get extra practice In to work on that. I would think he’s on a pretty short leash, but it has been only one game. Not sure we can truly judge his ability to handle pressure after 60 minutes. And the last kicker we ran out of town after a disappointing year is the same guy we are begging to get back now in Lirim H. At 6-1 with three kickers on the roster we can afford a little patience and don’t need to blow it all up just yet. 

23 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah idk. Big leg but kinda puzzling move. 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Well, he said the right things at practice about working on his angles and getting the mechanics right. Frustrated he let the team down, will only worry about what he can control. Felt like he hit the ball well, but needed to get the angles right, the bye week helped him get extra practice In to work on that. I would think he’s on a pretty short leash, but it has been only one game. Not sure we can truly judge his ability to handle pressure after 60 minutes. And the last kicker we ran out of town after a disappointing year is the same guy we are begging to get back now in Lirim H. At 6-1 with three kickers on the roster we can afford a little patience and don’t need to blow it all up just yet. 

I understand what you're saying but patience only goes so far until we lose a game. 

49 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I understand what you're saying but patience only goes so far until we lose a game. 

True enough. It’s weird that despite all the troubles this season, the one game we needed the kicks to win, we got them. I would have been more worried if Mourtada was duck hooking them, but it seemed to just be an alignment issue. Like I said, short leash for sure. For sure if we lose a game on kicking, then the pressure mounts. 

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

He played for the "Massachusetts Pirates" of the Indoor Football League for a couple seasons, that's all I could ever find. Something like 75% on extra points and sub-50% on field goals... I have no idea what that game plays like so I don't know how those stats translate

Downright scary that he's the best the scouts could find.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

A few games ago, I would have been pleading for him to come to the Bombers, but the current group has picked up their play.

I'd take him over Bailey if he's healthy and fully vaxed. But not if it means missing out on a kicker or rose.