2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

Just now, bearpants said:

What's the story with Ty Cobb?

Too many violent outbursts to list. But they involving going into the stands, and fighting everything from players to officials. He would sharpen the spikes on his cleats then slide for guys legs and do absolutely anything that would give him an edge or a chance to injure an opponent.

2 of the worst events though include going after hecklers. One was mid-game. The tigers were batting and he jumped into the stands and knocked the heckler down. He then kicked and stomped the man with his spiked cleats. A teammate yelled at him to stop because the man had no hands, lost in an industrial accident though he kept 2 fingers on one hand the other hand and fingers were gone, to which he retorted I wouldnt care if he had no legs too! He was eventually dragged off by fans and team mates. He was suspended indefinitely for this but the tigers refused to play until he was reinstated and the league caved to the demands. 

Previously he went after a fan right as a game ended. He was on deck as the game ended and a heckler in a wheelchair was assaulted. Cobb went after him with the baseball bat. He claimed the guy called him half black, and said it wasnt a big deal because the guy himself was half black. But not in those exact terms. 

"Cobb . . . was a scary sociopath. The mere sight of black people so filled him with rage that, on several occasions, he brutally pistol-whipped African American men whose only offense was to share a sidewalk with him" There are several books that go in depth about the horrible nature of ty cobb. He once choked out an ump in a fight that happened in the stands. A black groundskeeper tried to shake his hand, then choked his wife when she tried to defend him. It wasnt just black people and hecklers though. He assaulted his own sun with a bullwhip for flunking out of school. 

Hes just the worst. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

I wonder who the CFL equivalent is? Someone who everyone hated, even their own teammates? 

ED Phylion would be up there for dirtiest and just plain assbag....Gotta include our guy Dyson...from what I know the CFL actually contacted the Bombers and asked/hoped that we would not bring him back...I think his contract dispute for yr 2 and wanting more money was our "out" 

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

ED Phylion would be up there for dirtiest and just plain assbag....Gotta include our guy Dyson...from what I know the CFL actually contacted the Bombers and asked/hoped that we would not bring him back...I think his contract dispute for yr 2 and wanting more money was our "out" 

Wasn’t Nick Benjamin also a notorious dirty guy who was universally despised back in the 80’s? Lots of knee shots to vulnerable players to my memory. 

Just now, Booch said:

Beat me too it. FK ed philion. It guts me that hes a respected media guy now, and covers the als led by khari no less. Dyson was a dirty guy no doubt. Thing was he was also talented. He couldve made a go of it if he gave up the cheap shots.  Dave donaldson probably very disliked by a lot of other teams too. 

AJ gass was widely hated. Mike O'shea was one of the most hated players of his era too. 

Bill romanowski in the NFL is probably as close as it gets. John rocker in baseball was hated by soo many people. 

Just now, Geebrr said:

Glen Suitor ended Dyson's career.  Rob Murphy and others were allowed to do whatever

Schultz but yeah. He had the TSN camera crew run an iso camera on dyson and showed all his dirty plays. Which considering the limited and awful TSN camera work back then is a pretty serious move. On one had I objected to it. He shouldve then done it to guys like jimenez and murphy, or philion. On the other, dyson needed to go. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Schultz but yeah. He had the TSN camera crew run an iso camera on dyson and showed all his dirty plays. Which considering the limited and awful TSN camera work back then is a pretty serious move. On one had I objected to it. He shouldve then done it to guys like jimenez and murphy, or philion. On the other, dyson needed to go. 

Was it Schultz? Yeah I cannot remember a broadcast basically trying to get a guy banned mid-game before.

Was Jimenez  the guy who rolled up on a guy's leg (I think it was a Stampeder) who was nowhere near the play and basically end his career? 

Just now, Geebrr said:

Was it Schultz? Yeah I cannot remember a broadcast basically trying to get a guy banned mid-game before.

Was Jimenez  the guy who rolled up on a guy's leg (I think it was a Stampeder) who was nowhere near the play and basically end his career? 

Yeah, I never liked schultz especially after that. If youre gonna do it, fine, but do it equally. 

Yeah that was him. He had a bunch of real dirty shots. 

Im sure Loffler was high on the list for a lot of none bomber fans in recent years too. 

I would be curious to hear what players of his generation said about Osh. I'm not sure that he was a hated player on the field. Fans, maybe, disliked him because he was so good.....but I get the feeling that he was extremely well respected on the field. But, Doug Brown would probably have more to say about that...

Just now, wbbfan said:

Yeah, I never liked schultz especially after that. If youre gonna do it, fine, but do it equally. 

Yeah that was him. He had a bunch of real dirty shots. 

Im sure Loffler was high on the list for a lot of none bomber fans in recent years too. 

Exactly.

Loffler's hit on Arceneaux in the WSF was clean and I will never change my mind.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I would be curious to hear what players of his generation said about Osh. I'm not sure that he was a hated player on the field. Fans, maybe, disliked him because he was so good.....but I get the feeling that he was extremely well respected on the field. But, Doug Brown would probably have more to say about that...

I was looking up Jeff Garcia clips a couple of weeks ago and there is one where O'Shea gets kicked out a game for badically WWEing him through the bench right near the sideline.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Dyson I believe sued TSN for defamation of character as well

He should have, that was ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Oshea was hated as he was good, and intense....not cause he was dirty...did he take liberties..u bet..all guys did/do but was never suspended from what I know...played hard whistle to whistle...tough and mrean byut by no means a blatant dirty guy....and this is what our teasm does now...

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

Oshea was hated as he was good, and intense....not cause he was dirty...did he take liberties..u bet..all guys did/do but was never suspended from what I know...played hard whistle to whistle...tough and mrean byut by no means a blatant dirty guy....and this is what our teasm does now...

Dirty is trying to injure outside what is accepted within the rules. Trying to hit hard isn't intent to injure.

Way different than playing to the whistle. Every team wanted MOS

Edited by Geebrr

Just now, Booch said:

Dyson I believe sued TSN for defamation of character as well

He did, but I dont think it was ever announced what happened. I presume they settled out of court. 

Just now, Geebrr said:

Exactly.

Loffler's hit on Arceneaux in the WSF was clean and I will never change my mind.

I agree. He had a lot of borderline hits too though. Basically his career was hitting. 

Just now, Booch said:

He walked the line. He was an agitator and pushed the limit as far as he could. Be he was always smart about it. He was ejected a couple times but I think thats it. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

He did, but I dont think it was ever announced what happened. I presume they settled out of court. 

I agree. He had a lot of borderline hits too though. Basically his career was hitting. 

He walked the line. He was an agitator and pushed the limit as far as he could. Be he was always smart about it. He was ejected a couple times but I think thats it. 

Loffler was on the line physical, I am sure people considered him dirty. 

I consider him more MOS like

Just now, Geebrr said:

Loffler was on the line physical, I am sure people considered him dirty. 

I consider him more MOS like

I dont think either was dirty, though agitators tend to get the dirty moniker. Mos drew a lot of penalties especially from OL. Both were loathed by opposition fan bases to a great degree. I remember a bit being made of it when he came here. But it goes away quickly when that type of guy is on your team. Coach or otherwise.