2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Delusional from wearing hollowed out watermelons too small 

Didn't follow instructions and hollowed out head. 

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It's been 2 ******* years! Does anyone really have any continuity at this point?

Zach hasn't missed a game in almost two years. Ironman.

6 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

If Reilly cant play then it would be an easy win for the Riders. I believe Reilly has not practice all week.

Having been in BC Place to witness the beat down the Riders put on the Lions in 2019 I can say that it will probably be an easy win even with Drew Brees playing for BC.  Their team was just so awful.  That being said, maybe they've upgraded since then, I don't know anything about BC right now.  

10 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Having been in BC Place to witness the beat down the Riders put on the Lions in 2019 I can say that it will probably be an easy win even with Drew Brees playing for BC.  Their team was just so awful.  That being said, maybe they've upgraded since then, I don't know anything about BC right now.  

Lucky apparently had a good camp.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Riders going to be doing that again this season? Getting the easy games? 

On 2021-08-03 at 9:51 PM, Bubba Zanetti said:

I almost feel bad for Fajardo because the expectations for a guy who had a good but not great year is completely unreal.  Unless the guy puts up MOP like numbers anything else he does would be considered a complete failure based on how high the media is putting the guy up on a pedestal.  

17 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I almost feel bad for Fajardo because the expectations for a guy who had a good but not great year is completely unreal.  Unless the guy puts up MOP like numbers anything else he does would be considered a complete failure based on how high the media is putting the guy up on a pedestal.  

But but but.... If Fajardo falters, they've got some brother-of-an-NFL-name who wasn't good enough to what out Isaak Harker for QB2............ Or so I'm led to believe on Twitter.... 

39 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The gap between expectations with respect to him and Dane is kinda nuts imo. Fajardo will be running for his life till the wheels fall off this year. Riders are my least favorite team and fan base in sports. But I liked Fajardo at Nevada. And I never want to see Young qbs get ruined. 

They expect that who ever O'Day plugs in will be great no matter what and that Fajardo will be able to just make it work. But football doesn't work that way.  

He's hardly young now..had 3 yrs of blah play..and a fluke yr last...the proof of what he is will come to light this yr..a mid teir at best QB but not one who will pull a rabbit out of the hat for u game in and game out

Believe it or not Rob Vanstone from the Regina Leader post picked the Riders to finish 4th in the west! But wait for it......ahead of the Bombers lol. Here is his take on the Bombers this season through his green colored glasses:

Also of note is the fact that the Blue Bombers do not have a ready-made understudy to the fragile Zach Collaros, whose late-season excellence in 2019 powered the team to its first Grey Cup title since 1990.

Winnipeg’s top offensive weapon, tailback Andrew Harris, is 34 and already sidelined by an injury.

The Bombers’ offensive personnel, as a whole, is unremarkable.

Consider, too, that Paul LaPolice is no longer the Bombers’ offensive co-ordinator. He is now the Redblacks’ head coach and, uh, good luck with that.

LaPolice has been succeeded in Winnipeg by Buck Pierce, who may encounter growing pains as a first-year CFL offensive co-ordinator.

So Winnipeg, from this perspective, appears to be a house of cards.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

8 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Believe it or not Rob Vanstone from the Regina Leader post picked the Riders to finish 4th in the west! But wait for it......ahead of the Bombers lol. Here is his take on the Bombers this season through his green colored glasses:

Also of note is the fact that the Blue Bombers do not have a ready-made understudy to the fragile Zach Collaros, whose late-season excellence in 2019 powered the team to its first Grey Cup title since 1990.

Winnipeg’s top offensive weapon, tailback Andrew Harris, is 34 and already sidelined by an injury.

The Bombers’ offensive personnel, as a whole, is unremarkable.

Consider, too, that Paul LaPolice is no longer the Bombers’ offensive co-ordinator. He is now the Redblacks’ head coach and, uh, good luck with that.

LaPolice has been succeeded in Winnipeg by Buck Pierce, who may encounter growing pains as a first-year CFL offensive co-ordinator.

So Winnipeg, from this perspective, appears to be a house of cards.

It's like saying the house will fall down because the paint is peeling.

Trenches is where we are best. And, we are best in the league in both trenches. And the trenches are where we will repeat. 

Edited by JCon

We are best in the trenches, but losing Harris and Adams and having a rookie OC means that points could be hard to come by early on. Our D is way different than last year. We'll see how that works out especially early in the year as they try to come together. The rest of the West is pretty equal to us and each other. Not much difference among the top 4 and if BC can keep Reilly safe, they'll be in the mix too. Hopefully a lot of close hard fought games this year.

The first few weeks are going to be ugly football with a lot of mistakes that will lead to some big plays. It's going to look a lot like preseason after such a long layoff. We won't know what we have or what other teams have until September IMO.

41 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

People will be shocked by the bomber receivers. Lapo neutered the passing game.

Maybe just maybe LaPo knew what kind of personnel he had and operated the offensive plan around it. Call it neutering if you want, but Harris was the known talent and we centered the offence around him, very successfully as it turns out. Haven’t seen anything in Nelson or Bailey or Walker to show that they are game breakers of any sort yet, and I am certainly more confident in LaPo’s assessment of talent than yours when it comes to maximizing an offence. His passing attack was not very neutered when he had the two people in your username playing for him. We shall see. 

Honestly I thought Darwin Adams was looking for a bigger year as he seemed to have instant chemistry with Collaros. Now that has been put on hold. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

I'd go out on a limb and say that although Buck is a rookie OC, he's had enough time as an assistant coach to know what he's doing.

I've said it before in another thread (or possibly this one), a few years back, every time Buck was up in the booth calling plays, the team did really well.  I'm not worried at all about how he'll do, and in fact, I'm very excited to see what his offence looks like.  I think it's going to be exciting to watch.

I agree. I'm actually not worried about Buck, he was behind Lapo for a long time. There was obviously a plan for Buck to take this role on so I'm sure Lapo and the organization coached him up. I suppose the only worry for me would be when the pressure is really on him, like in a close game near the end of half or the 4th Q....but again, I'm not worried.

Not having Harris/Adams this week isn't ideal. I'm hopeful the replacements can get the job done, but realistically there will be a drop off there. As long as those drop offs don't include mistakes like penalties/turnovers they should be ok.

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

Maybe just maybe LaPo knew what kind of personnel he had and operated the offensive plan around it. Call it neutering if you want, but Harris was the known talent and we cantered the offence around him, very successfully as it turns out. Haven’t seen anything in Nelson or Bailey or Walker to show that they are game breakers of any sort yet, and I am certainly more confident in LaPo’s assessment of talent than yours when it comes to maximizing an offence. His passing attack was not very neutered when he had the two people in your username playing for him. We shall see. 

Honestly I thought Darwin Adams was looking for a bigger year as he seemed to have instant chemistry with Collaros. Now that has been put on hold. 

I think that has a lot to do with it. Matt Nichols is no Khari Jones. Nichols won a lot of games and played well for the most part but was not a guy you want throwing 40+ passes a game like Khari. Lapo knew what he had and played to its strengths. Great running back and ok QB. Hand the ball off 20 times, throw high percentage shorter passes, and control the game. And when we would get behind by a couple scores it was usually lights out. Nichols isnt a world beater and does not play well when forced to throw. Zach can beat you with his arm and likes to take chances down the field, much more so than Nichols who was VERY risk averse. I cant remember how many times we were down by a couple scores late in games over the years, and Nichols is still trying to nickel and dime himself down the field with 5 yard throws. Buck knows Collaros is more gun-slinger than Nichols. Add in the fact that Harris is 2 years older, and i think you'll see Buck open up the passing game much more this season.