2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

The riders OL last season was not good. If it was good fajardo wouldn't have been running for his life like he was. Riders are going to miss their OC the most. He knew his teams weaknesses and played around them, ie move the pocket and throw quick short passes, don't let your qb be murdered. Jason Maas I don't think has that mentality. Jesus Sprinkles is gonna get crippled at some point this year.

10 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The riders OL last season was not good. If it was good fajardo wouldn't have been running for his life like he was. Riders are going to miss their OC the most. He knew his teams weaknesses and played around them, ie move the pocket and throw quick short passes, don't let your qb be murdered. Jason Maas I don't think has that mentality. Jesus Sprinkles is gonna get crippled at some point this year.

Like Marcel B. in Winnipeg back in the day.  No matter what the struggles were, he continued to script plays where the QB needed to stay in the pocket. 

1 hour ago, stevethe3rd said:

First statement is false. If you actually believe that I challenge you to watch the games again. 

Biggest busts=High draft picks. Shepley was not drafted and signed two different times. So that comparison is off. Shepley has been invited to 3 camps and has been invited back to the same team that had him the year before. He is also not an outlier for size or athleticism in the NFL so you can't say he is just there because of his size. 

I'm agreeing with you on Bond, I pretty much said that didnt I? 

As far as the short set it can be harder on the tackle. If you are reading inside out on a shallow set then you have to react to a speed rusher on the outside that puts alot of pressure on the tackles athletic ability. Being able to just kick deep and get there against a guy like Willy Jefferson puts you in a better postion. The shallow set almost puts you in a chase mode off the bat. 

It isnt. Watch other teams guard play. Guard is just easier to hide in pass pro. He might be the 6th ol on most teams but wouldn't start for more than half. 

Mbt wasn't drafted and signed with 7 different nfl teams and made 4 or so teams. Lots of outlier facts  can get you on a team. Running out every play High football iq etc. 

It isnt at all what you said. Idk how you can think it was.

Pinching isn't harder. It is not more athletically demanding either. If some one speed rushes the edge because then the guard opens their hips and meets the rusher. They don't have to take them head on and have a power angle for leverage. Zone blocking demands far more athletically. Every team pinches tackles situational. 

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

It isnt. Watch other teams guard play. Guard is just easier to hide in pass pro. He might be the 6th ol on most teams but wouldn't start for more than half. 

Mbt wasn't drafted and signed with 7 different nfl teams and made 4 or so teams. Lots of outlier facts  can get you on a team. Running out every play High football iq etc. 

It isnt at all what you said. Idk how you can think it was.

Pinching isn't harder. It is not more athletically demanding either. If some one speed rushes the edge because then the guard opens their hips and meets the rusher. They don't have to take them head on and have a power angle for leverage. Zone blocking demands far more athletically. Every team pinches tackles situational. 

Riders squeeze there tackles more then other teams. All teams will squeeze if they the d is showing a plus one pre snap or another situation.  Every team in the CFL would have some sort of zone protection in pass pro. If you did old school man pro it would be easy to game plan for that based on stunts/games up front. You won't see any team run a man protection much past high school. You also don't want to ever see a olineman flip their hips in pass pro and not be square to the line. So that leverage/angle would do nothing unless you are in run blocking.  Unless I am miss understanding the statement in the 4th paragraph. You also said the guard would get the edge rusher which doesn't make much sense. 

59 minutes ago, stevethe3rd said:

Riders squeeze there tackles more then other teams. All teams will squeeze if they the d is showing a plus one pre snap or another situation.  Every team in the CFL would have some sort of zone protection in pass pro. If you did old school man pro it would be easy to game plan for that based on stunts/games up front. You won't see any team run a man protection much past high school. You also don't want to ever see a olineman flip their hips in pass pro and not be square to the line. So that leverage/angle would do nothing unless you are in run blocking.  Unless I am miss understanding the statement in the 4th paragraph. You also said the guard would get the edge rusher which doesn't make much sense. 

There is no more squeeze. Either you are in side shoulder and in the gap or not.

Not every team runs zone. They will run plays where one or maybe two guys pull or take a zone assignment. But not the whole line. It's not some thing you can plug in with limited reps and do well with. Yes linemen do. If a pass rusher is out side of their frame or if they can pan cake on  follow through or if they are just beaten. It's like option packages. Virtually no one is committed to it. But with real zone like midline option which is as basic as it gets none zone teams run fake zone with a center push and guard on zone. 

Meant tackle not guard. Though if a t is beaten while pinching zone teams will have a c in side out to catch the rusher. 

Pinching is not Harder or more demanding.     

Every teams fan base thinks their best guard is maybe the leagues best. Good ols are lead by tackles. It is the least demanding position and easiest covered for. Half the time you get help and you can't easily get out beaten wide. 

Last year the riders covered for lack of pass pro with quick hit timing routes and Fajardo on the spin move. He beat pressure off the edge frequently enough and a lot of the sacks Given up where inside pressure.

Go watch Bob wylies interview in the pre season of his 2nd year here and read the article Tait did with it. Sacks allowed are not a measure of success or failure by and ol. 

14 hours ago, stevethe3rd said:

Dog **** but gave up the second lowest sack total only behind Winnipeg which passed at a lot lower rate. Had a CFL hall of famer at LG, and all star centre, and Right guard that stuck in the NFL for the last year. Add in the fact that their 6th and 7th olineman are now projected starters on another team and the reality is a little different then the narrative here. 

The only reason they had a lower sack total was time post snap..they got rid of ball the fastest with the short dumps and screened..to compensate for the poor online..if you were someone who is involved in aspects of online grading and everyhin else that goes with it you may know that.

Hall of Fame guard sure..but based on previous work..not last 2 to 3 yrs..he is a broken down shell of what he was.

That center Allstar nod is a head shaker all around the league..he is bottom tier at best.

And being a projected starter on another team means nothing..just means the other teams lines are garbage too

https://3downnation.com/2021/08/01/riders-gm-jeremy-oday-says-the-riders-have-the-ability-to-start-four-canadian-offensive-linemen/

More like relegated to doing this with 4 very questionable and arguably sub par Canadians....what a joke...ability to, and quality of are 2 different things

11 minutes ago, Booch said:

https://3downnation.com/2021/08/01/riders-gm-jeremy-oday-says-the-riders-have-the-ability-to-start-four-canadian-offensive-linemen/

More like relegated to doing this with 4 very questionable and arguably sub par Canadians....what a joke...ability to, and quality of are 2 different things

Yup lol, ability my ass. The article should say "Forced to start four canadian o-linemen".

12 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

The Saskatoon native started five games at tackle early in 2019 but was demoted following a number of shaky performances.

Above is from the same article in reference to Boyko. Sounds like a recipe for success.

hahaha...yup...would instill me with confidence......not!

Gray and Eli would be slam dunk starters there, and can't even be both on roster here....heck..they could prob start or at the least be 6th man on every roster in cfl. 

10 hours ago, Booch said:

The only reason they had a lower sack total was time post snap..they got rid of ball the fastest with the short dumps and screened..to compensate for the poor online..if you were someone who is involved in aspects of online grading and everyhin else that goes with it you may know that.

Hall of Fame guard sure..but based on previous work..not last 2 to 3 yrs..he is a broken down shell of what he was.

That center Allstar nod is a head shaker all around the league..he is bottom tier at best.

And being a projected starter on another team means nothing..just means the other teams lines are garbage too

I think any offence wants to get rid of the ball quickly. Look at Tom Brady/Drew Brees they are always getting rid of the ball quickly post snap. It is a sign of a offence that is functioning well. Considering that the Riders averaged the second most yards per play last year behind only Hamilton I don't think this getting rid of the ball quickly was a huge hinderance i dont even know if it is true as their is no stats on that. I would like to see some stats on what the teams average time from snap to pass were and depth per target. Unfortunately the CFL doesn't have the stats readily available. 

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

The CFL power rankings (which obviously mean Jack **** right now) have the riders in 2nd place and Bombers in 3rd....I get that Hamilton is number 1, but how are the riders #2? Has the CFL not been paying attention lol?

I've been trying to figure out the Riders in 2 for a half hour now, and the best I can come up with is that they were 1st in the West in 2019, so the CFL just put the top 2 regular season teams in the top 2 spots. That's all I've got, because that Riders team is going to be BAD this year...

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I've been trying to figure out the Riders in 2 for a half hour now, and the best I can come up with is that they were 1st in the West in 2019, so the CFL just put the top 2 regular season teams in the top 2 spots. That's all I've got, because that Riders team is going to be BAD this year...

Thats what I am thinking is the reason...though with that logic you would think that the defending Grey Cup Champs...who are bringing back 90 percent of the core and no new coaches or schemes should have upper hand.

The Riders though..not to bash them just cause they are the Riders...But that O-line...oh man...2 Cdn receivers who have shown nothing to date in their careers, all new Linebacking corp, a weak D-line and zero depth behind either line...how is that to be looked at as a Contender...They have regressed at a lot of key spots.

And then there is Fajardo...he will be expose this yr for what he truly is...a mid tier Back-up...he won't catch anyone off-guard this year, and with that O-line will be running for his life, and will eventually end up gunshy and bailing...if he isn't knocked out by game 3

39 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

The CFL power rankings (which obviously mean Jack **** right now) have the riders in 2nd place and Bombers in 3rd....I get that Hamilton is number 1, but how are the riders #2? Has the CFL not been paying attention lol?

Yup, was just about to post this lol. I could live 1000 lives and ill never understand why everyone has the Riders ahead of us. Their o-line is full of third stringers and they lost arguably their THREE best defensive players in the offseason, not to mention their big FA splash in Larry Dean to injury. How in holy f*** are they better than us?!?!

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

58 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

CFL West Division preview: Blue Bombers look to repeat after long layoff - Sportsnet.ca\

Yet another outlet that thinks were taking a step back and predicts the Riders 1st in the west lol. Were going 8-6 apparently.

Bombers:  *have a road grading o-line and probably the best DE duo in the league*

National media: "will the bombers make playoffs in 2021?"