2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

A good DB makes a great receiver coach.

Who better to help receivers exploit what DB's see and do...and how to attack them.

Generally at the pro level that coach is just augmenting what they should already know about catching a ball..any DB knows all the routes in the receiving tree and how to best defend them so parlaying that to receivers is a benefit...plus as stated...is an entry level position as well..

51 minutes ago, Booch said:

A good DB makes a great receiver coach.

Who better to help receivers exploit what DB's see and do...and how to attack them.

Generally at the pro level that coach is just augmenting what they should already know about catching a ball..any DB knows all the routes in the receiving tree and how to best defend them so parlaying that to receivers is a benefit...plus as stated...is an entry level position as well..

I was at kevin kelley coaching clinic down south years ago and and late in the day he talked briefly about making his position coaches flip and coach opposite positions for a week once a year. It was such an interesting concept.

I think it's a great idea to have a guy like suberman coach wrs. 

Imo catching is like shooting free throws in basketball. It's all about reps. Wrs gotta spend a considerable amount of time with a jugs machine and qb throwing go em. But that's really an individual thing. Generally guys with great hands are guys who put in all the extra work they can. 

Newsflash:

Players play with broken bones all the time. If there is minimal risk to further injury it is not an issue. If taped and supported there was really not much risk for Whitehead to do further injury. It was stupid by the LIons to trot out a one handed receiver but he is far from the first guy that's ever played with a broken bone.

17 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Newsflash:

Players play with broken bones all the time. If there is minimal risk to further injury it is not an issue. If taped and supported there was really not much risk for Whitehead to do further injury. It was stupid by the LIons to trot out a one handed receiver but he is far from the first guy that's ever played with a broken bone.

Yup. Strevs being a great example. He could still run though. Lucky was useless out there.

21 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Newsflash:

I'm with others on this one;

- Hands are kind of important to receivers, he wasn't even using it when testing it.

- Not sure how you tape or support those broken bones where they were.

- they never even looked his way after anyways. You don't have anyone else to put out there?

- medical staff should have stepped in the name of safety. I get the player doing whatever they can, but at some point cooler, more educated heads need to step in, just like they do with concussions

1 minute ago, itchy said:

- Hands are kind of important to receivers, he wasn't even using it when testing it.

- they never even looked his way after anyways. You don't have anyone else to put out there?

- medical staff should have stepped in the name of safety. I get the player doing whatever they can, but at some point cooler, more educated heads need to step in, just like they do with concussions

He was a decoy. There was literally no chance the ball was coming to him and therefore almost no risk for further injury. I'm not suggesting they should have played him, just that there was no real risk in doing so either.

7 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Yup. Strevs being a great example. He could still run though. Lucky was useless out there.

Exactly...that's what makes this strange. There was literally no chance he could do anything but go for a run out there.

3 minutes ago, itchy said:

You can tape up a game cast in no time. Which is what they did.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Like WTH??? Player safety... They worry so much about brain injuries but don't care about broken bones???

Broken bones heal, as does tissue damage. Concussions are forever.

53 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Newsflash:

played with a cast on my arm/hand for 2 different seasons...not an issue

42 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Newsflash:

Look at his hand and look at the nature of the break. He couldve suffered a compound fracture, not to mention break one of the many connecting bones.

24 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Not the same kind of break though. Strevs wasnt a full fracture nor was it going to become one. 

18 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

He was a decoy. There was literally no chance the ball was coming to him and therefore almost no risk for further injury. I'm not suggesting they should have played him, just that there was no real risk in doing so either.

Exactly...that's what makes this strange. There was literally no chance he could do anything but go for a run out there.

You can tape up a game cast in no time. Which is what they did.

Broken bones heal, as does tissue damage. Concussions are forever.

Decoys still get hit on running plays, we say this exact scenario play out and lucky got barked at. 

Nothing removes the chance for contact in football. If reilly wouldve thrown a pick on the same side as lucky, lucky couldve been laid out with a block. Hand contacts the ground first by instinct. Look at his xray, the bone is completely broken. The only thing suporting it is soft tissue. 

Tell walby, or any OL that that hands heal. Or floyd mayweather, or any boxer thats suffered a boxers break. Or Angus chrichton, the rugby player who had fingers amputated because they wouldnt heal in properly, so he could continue playing. The rugby union wasnt going to allow him to continue to play with his damaged fingers. Which happened from him playing with broken fingers. Aussy rugby league, wouldnt let him play with injured fingers. If its too much for them, its too much for football. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Look at his hand and look at the nature of the break. He couldve suffered a compound fracture, not to mention break one of the many connecting bones.

Not the same kind of break though. Strevs wasnt a full fracture nor was it going to become one. 

Decoys still get hit on running plays, we say this exact scenario play out and lucky got barked at. 

Nothing removes the chance for contact in football. If reilly wouldve thrown a pick on the same side as lucky, lucky couldve been laid out with a block. Hand contacts the ground first by instinct. Look at his xray, the bone is completely broken. The only thing suporting it is soft tissue. 

Tell walby, or any OL that that hands heal. Or floyd mayweather, or any boxer thats suffered a boxers break. Or Angus chrichton, the rugby player who had fingers amputated because they wouldnt heal in properly, so he could continue playing. The rugby union wasnt going to allow him to continue to play with his damaged fingers. Which happened from him playing with broken fingers. Aussy rugby league, wouldnt let him play with injured fingers. If its too much for them, its too much for football. 

I have had that twice..Boxer's Fracture they call it....had it set and casted and played following week....I didnt need my hands for catching just maiming so a club came in handy, and no longterm ailments due to it.

Having him come in mid game without a cast and having it set was very dumb, and yup could have caused complications, but I am sure it was Lucky's call, and he wanted to, so any liability is off training staff

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

I have had that twice..Boxer's Fracture they call it....had it set and casted and played following week....I didnt need my hands for catching just maiming so a club came in handy, and no longterm ailments due to it.

Having him come in mid game without a cast and having it set was very dumb, and yup could have caused complications, but I am sure it was Lucky's call, and he wanted to, so any liability is off training staff

Ive never had one, ive been very lucky and careful. But Ive seen them and its gnarly. I have though seen a hand mangled to the point of fingers being gone and not re attachable. If luckys hand had gotten crushed with out the cast on like that, man, some one would be up on charges.  

If its cast and you are a lber, dl, etc its not much of a risk.

I have no doubt lucky made the call and was 100% willing. The guy has the most heart of any speed tool player Ive seen in a very long time. That said, the medical and coaching staff have to protect guys like that. Just like a fighters corner has to throw in the towel when a guy cant and isnt protecting him self any more. It breaks my heart and makes me angry when guys have all the will to continue, but cant, and arent protected. 

40 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

This is interesting

Pretty clear he separated his shoulder in real time. He is done.

Trevor Harris would be the only target you would have to think.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I wonder how a receiver comes back from that? 

I can't remember your position, Booch. 

I am sure they can freeze it to mediate the pain, but that seems like trouble for catching and ball security.

11 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I am sure they can freeze it to mediate the pain, but that seems like trouble for catching and ball security.

Linebacker and long snapper, as well as some full back work

4 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I don't think it would be that dumb a move for the Elks 

Their season is done and they can go after a FA in the off season with the extra cash. He makes way too much.

yeah and given that they're burning the bridge with him in real time they clearly don't have use for Harris anyway. 

It's truly a Tim Burke / Mike Kelly level stupid of the QB handling. 

Just now, Geebrr said:

I would think harris would be target no 1. Maybe they get crazy and call up glenn or durant. Maybe they try to shake one of the argos qbs free, though I doubt it. Hamilton? Take a risk on dane evans hoping he will be back, probably not. 

If I was them, Id be after paxton lynch, duck hodges, or see if calgary would part with maier. And maybe see about bringing in jennings. 

I dont feel like harris would hold up, or execute well in montreal. 

I would think harris would be target no 1. Maybe they get crazy and call up glenn or durant. Maybe they try to shake one of the argos qbs free, though I doubt it. Hamilton? Take a risk on dane evans hoping he will be back, probably not. 

If I was them, Id be after paxton lynch, duck hodges, or see if calgary would part with maier. And maybe see about bringing in jennings. 

Any port in a storm.

I don't see those teams getting rid of anyone right now.

I actually think he would be better in Montreal than VA. 

That isn't saying much though.