Random Jets News

On 2023-06-09 at 6:26 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Heck could have had Seth Jarvis over Perfetti.

He's a winger. Perfetti is an elite center if they let him be. I'd love to have Jarvis but I'll take perfetti over him every time. Could haves are stupid, could have traded Wheeler instead of Laine.  Could have fired Maurice after the St Louis no show in game 6.   

Time to move on. Rebuild? Doubtful.  Retool? Likely 

They are gonna want 1sts or young nhl players in return. 

Retool could be quick if done right 

Vegas don't got top 5 goaltending do they. 

Jets could retool quick with the right moves

Edited by Goalie

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/winnipeg-jets/news/blake-wheeler-is-jets-top-candidate-as-nhl-buyout-window-opens

Wheeler is a prime candidate for either an offseason trade, or to be bought out by the Jets.

If Rick Bowness and company feel as though a complete reshuffling of the deck is required, Wheeler may find the final season of his five-year, $41.25 million contract scrapped. 

It has now been a full year since Bowness and his coaching staff stripped the captaincy from Wheeler, and just under two months since the veteran forward's year-end comments against Bowness' "disgusted and disappointed" post-game blow up. 

A buyout would cost the Jets $2.75 million towards their cap in each of the 2023-24 and 2024-25 seasons, as Wheeler is over the age of 26. An NHL buyout lasts twice the remaining number of years on the player's contract, meaning with Wheeler's expiring deal, the team would need to soak up a second year of the $2.75 million.

NHL's buyout window opens on Friday, June 16 and runs through Friday, June 30 at 4:00 PM central time.

screen-shot-2023-06-15-at-095206.webp

First time ever seeing the 

11 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

First time ever seeing the calculations. It’s way less than him hanging around for over 8 million a year. Is 8 mill worth say, 20 goals? 

Its about changing the culture. Blake can't be back. It's really as simple as Alpha male in the room, captain or not. To change the culture the guy there from day 1 and former captain needs to go. People think letters matter? Lol the C means nothing really, it's about the room and who speaks up and who the room looks to, they looked to Wheeler and have since he's been here the longest.  Tries hard but needs to go to change the culture.  Maybe he signs in Minny or Florida to end it. Buyout is ok for the Jets, it's ok for wheels also cuz dude don't got many years left so he deserves to try to win one. 

Helle is more interesting cuz apparently he wants 9.5 long term and not sure "Contenders" have that cash  

On 2023-06-15 at 3:26 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Screenshot_20230613-200218.png

^ not going anywhere :D

Thats not a winnipeg jets run contest  

It's league wide 

LA apparently  no interest in Helle but definitely interest in pl Dubois. 

I'd suspect maybe we get back Gabe Vilardi, RHD Durzi , Arvidson or Iaffalo (cap reasons)and prob their 2024 1st since no 23 1st for LA. 

Helle? I'm thinking NJ and it wouldn't shock me if it's around a goalie (vanacek) a guy like Mercer (they won't be able to pay him) and draft picks 

I think you might see some surprise trades also, d group  

1 of pionk or Schmidt will go. 

Edited by Goalie

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Apparently players still want out of Calgary even though Treliving & Sutter are gone. It seems that this problem of signing players isn't just in Winnipeg. 

And Alex DeBrincat does not want to re-sign with Ottawa. This is a legit issue with smaller market and Canadian teams. But some talking heads dismiss it because “Toronto can attract free agents, so it’s just a myth that no one wants to play in Canada”. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

4 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

And Alex DeBrincat does not want to re-sign with Ottawa. This is a legit issue with smaller market and Canadian teams. But some talking heads dismiss it because “Toronto can attract free agents, so it’s just a myth that no one wants to play in Canada”. 

But Toronto is the center of the Universe!   It is Central Canada after all!

On 2023-06-20 at 6:56 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

I feel bad for Wheeler. He's given a lot to the Winnipeg community. He should retire. 

On 2023-06-20 at 8:02 PM, iHeart said:

to be honest I'd rather he retire a Jet too

He probably won't play his last year here, but I'm pretty sure he'll come back and do the 1-day contract thing to retire as Jet.  Players have a shelf life too, and it's probably best for both parties to move on.