Random Jets News

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Like that top line. Until they wind up -3 then I'll hate it.

Finally removed scheif off center responsibility so that should help, Don't like Wheeler on second line should be Ned or Baron or even Mel at least they hit. Love what Wheels has done for us in the past but he has lost a step and is no where near the player he used to be.

31 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Finally removed scheif off center responsibility so that should help, Don't like Wheeler on second line should be Ned or Baron or even Mel at least they hit. Love what Wheels has done for us in the past but he has lost a step and is no where near the player he used to be.

I agree.  Don’t know why they continue to play Wheeler in the top six.  He’s lost more than just a step in my opinion.  He’s still capable of the occasional slick pass, but more often than not, he’s coughing it up and has become an anchor to that line.

15 hours ago, bb1 said:

I wonder if losing Perfetti has hurt Wheeler and the Jets more than we think? Last year we took a bigger nose dive when he got hurt too...but we still should be playing better than this...sad.

Perfetti was good but not THAT good. El Nino was brought in and he's more than enough as a replacement for Cole. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Perfetti was good but not THAT good. El Nino was brought in and he's more than enough as a replacement for Cole. 

I know what you’re saying, but Nino and Cole are completely different players, so Nino doesn’t replace what Perfetti does for the team.  Even from a points standpoint, I think Perfetti has the edge.

8 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

I know what you’re saying, but Nino and Cole are completely different players, so Nino doesn’t replace what Perfetti does for the team.  Even from a points standpoint, I think Perfetti has the edge.

Point taken. They are both around the same though on PPG (with the Jets). 

10 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Give Niederreiter a full TC and he'll be a top 6 mainstay in no time. He has the size and grit to his credit and can get in those dirty areas to create scoring chances. He's far more seasoned, IMO.

Perfetti has an upside but what that is remains to be seen. His lack of size doesn't help his case, though.

57 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Give Niederreiter a full TC and he'll be a top 6 mainstay in no time. He has the size and grit to his credit and can get in those dirty areas to create scoring chances. He's far more seasoned, IMO.

Perfetti has an upside but what that is remains to be seen. His lack of size doesn't help his case, though.

I wasn’t suggesting that Nino isn’t a solid player and a decent top 6 piece (although in a perfect world I’d like him on the 3rd line), I was simply saying that him and Perfetti are very different in how they play and the skill sets they possess.

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

We opted out of our tickets for next season. The group consensus was relief.

Tickets are easy to come by now and the product on the ice has been anything but consistent recently. 

"Mired in Mediocrity" would be a better, more honest slogan.

No, you have to support the mediocre team! It's all you'll ever have. 

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

We opted out of our tickets for next season. The group consensus was relief.

Tickets are easy to come by now and the product on the ice has been anything but consistent recently. 

"Mired in Mediocrity" would be a better, more honest slogan.

Followed up by revised slogan in response:

"Hey you're lucky to have a NHL team, you're welcome but that may change".

So I'm definitely not saying TNSE is right......want to be clear about that......... but, hypothetically, if the team were to leave again....... how would people around here feel? I'm just curious is all. Was the whole "Bring Back The Jets" thing just a fad that people have grown tired of? Just curious what the vibe is here and around Manitoba...

Chipman and his band of merry men have more revenue streams that Jets 1.0 could ever of dreamed of, his problem is that he though the seats would be filled even though his GM is not very good at his job and the coaches he has brought here and even worse and the product on the ice has been substandard the last few years. Now people are giving up season tickets and they will sound the alarm that you must support this team or risk losing it. The team is going nowhere, look around some of the other markets that are playing in front of 10k, Coyotes can't even fill a 4600 arena, and when they do it's the out of market fans that are doing it. NHL on a whole has attendance problems.

I can't see the team leaving. With profit sharing, broadcasting revenue, sponsorship, merchandise, etc., the brand remains strong as a small market franchise.

IIRC, the Jets were valued at $650M as of late last year. Complacency in the front office is another discussion (hockey operations) but the franchise from a business standpoint seems pretty stable.

With all the investments that Chipman and his crew have made downtown and more on the way I find it very difficult to believe that he would up and sell the team just because he is getting a couple of 1000 less in the arena, eventually if he gets more competent people in the organization and stop with the boys club the Jets will see an upswing and the patrons will come back.