JCon

Whew! Back to normal :P

New cases by region:
 Southern - 70
 Winnipeg - 33
 Northern - 21
 Prairie Mountain - 15
 Interlake-Eastern - 15

102 of today's 154 new cases were not fully vaccinated, including 95 with no vaccine at all. 52 fully vaccinated cases.

ICU active case total: 19
 Unvaxed: 19
 Partially vaxed: 0
 Fully vaxed: 0

Active hospitalization total: 76
 Unvaxed: 59
 Partially vaxed: 5
 Fully vaxed: 22

First-dose uptake - 87% (no change)
Second-dose uptake - 83.9% (no change)
2,094,074 doses administered now. 
3,268 doses administered yesterday.

Percentage of hockey fans who hate Vegas Golden Nights
 99%

Regions below 50% uptake: 
 Winkler - 44.2% (+0.2%)
 RM of Stanley - 25.5% (+0.1%) 🤬

Every single person in ICU right now is unvaccinated.

Southern Health makes up 40.1% of hospitalizations, 60.9% of ICU admissions, 32.8% of the active caseload in the province and 15% of the total population.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

18 minutes ago, Noeller said:

this feels like important data for context: 

If you want to add even more context, in the Northern region the vast majority of cases are all from one reserve that is having a very bad outbreak due to overcrowded living conditions. Norway House Cree Nation. The Southern Health region really has no excuse. 

Anybody else dislike the use of % of cases vaxxed versus unvaxxed because it doesn't really reflect reality. Yeah 33% today were in fully vaxxed people but given the number of fully vaxxed people its roughly 1 cases for every 19500 vaxxed people versus 1 cases for every 3400 unvaxxed people or unvaxxed are 6 times more likely to have it.

14 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Anybody else dislike the use of % of cases vaxxed versus unvaxxed because it doesn't really reflect reality. Yeah 33% today were in fully vaxxed people but given the number of fully vaxxed people its roughly 1 cases for every 19500 vaxxed people versus 1 cases for every 3400 unvaxxed people or unvaxxed are 6 times more likely to have it.

Agreed, they could use the numbers to better highlight the value in being vaccinated.

Also important, as I continually harp on, is noting that vaccinated people are more likely to get tested when symptoms/exposure happens. I don't think they'd do it, and maybe they couldn't, but seeing the percentages of people vaxxed/unvaxxed getting tested would be illuminating. The numbers are already pretty indicative of the power of vaccines without the additional context.

Sorry, stats nerd.

One of B.C.'s brazen COVID-19 deniers has died after showing symptoms of the disease.

Mak Parhar was found dead in a home in New Westminister, according to police.

Last month while in his car, Parhar posted a video describing that he was suffering from a number of symptoms. They included a "rheumy sore throat" and hot and cold feelings. In the midst of that diatribe, he was also coughing and spitting phlegm out his driver's side window.

But Parhar adamantly denied that he had "CONVID". That's because according to him, "CONVID doesnt exist".

In a subsequent video, Parhar revealed that he took Invermectim, which is used to treat parasite infections. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has advised people not to take it to treat or prevent COVID-19.

The cause of his death has not been disclosed.

He first came to public attention when he was operating a yoga studio in North Delta. It was shut down after he claimed that the COVID-19 virus could not survive heat.

In his final video posted on his Facebook page this week, Parhar expressed hope that he could cross the border in the future to attend a convention of Flat Earth believers in the United States. 

Pfizer Says Its New COVID-19 Pill Cut Hospital, Death Risk By 90%

WASHINGTON (AP) — Pfizer Inc. said Friday that its experimental antiviral pill for COVID-19 cut rates of hospitalization and death by nearly 90% as the drugmaker joins the race to bring the first easy-to-use medication against the coronavirus to the U.S. market.

Currently all COVID-19 treatments used in the U.S. require an IV or injection. Competitor Merck’s COVID-19 pill is already under review at the Food and Drug Administration after showing strong initial results, and on Thursday the United Kingdom became the first country to OK it.

Pfizer said it will ask the FDA and international regulators to authorize its pill as soon as possible, after independent experts recommended halting the company’s study based on the strength of its results. Once Pfizer applies, the FDA could make a decision within weeks or months.

Researchers worldwide have been racing to find a pill against COVID-19 that can be taken at home to ease symptoms, speed recovery and reduce the crushing burden on hospitals and doctors.

Pfizer released preliminary results Friday of its study of 775 adults. Patients taking the company’s drug along with another antiviral had an 89% reduction in their combined rate of hospitalization or death after a month, compared to patients taking a dummy pill. Fewer than 1% of patients taking the drug needed to be hospitalized and no one died. In the comparison group, 7% were hospitalized and there were seven deaths.

“We were hoping that we had something extraordinary, but it’s rare that you see great drugs come through with almost 90% efficacy and 100% protection for death,” said Dr. Mikael Dolsten, Pfizer’s chief scientific officer, in an interview.

New cases by region:
 Southern - 64
 Winnipeg - 35
 Northern - 12
 Prairie Mountain - 11
 Interlake-Eastern - 8

87 of today's 130 new cases were not fully vaccinated, including 80 with no vaccine at all. 43 fully vaccinated cases.

ICU active case total: 19
 Unvaxed: 18
 Partially vaxed: 0
 Fully vaxed: 1

Active hospitalization total: 88
 Unvaxed: 58
 Partially vaxed: 5
 Fully vaxed: 25

First-dose uptake - 87.1% (+0.1%)
Second-dose uptake - 84% (+0.1%)
2,097,725 doses administered now. 
3,651 doses administered yesterday.

Regions below 50% uptake: 
 Winkler - 44.4% (+0.2%)
 RM of Stanley - 25.6% (+0.1%)

Years since ABBA released a new album:

Five-day TP rates: 
 Southern - 14.5%
 Northern - 9.5%
 Interlake-Eastern - 5.3%
 Prairie Mountain - 4.8%
 Winnipeg - 2%

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Flat Earther and COVID-19 denier Mak Parhar found dead in New Westminster home

Mak Parhar made many videos while driving in his car, which carries the message "Earth is flat" in the rear window.
One of B.C.'s brazen COVID-19 deniers has died after showing symptoms of the disease.  Mak Parhar was found dead in a home in New Westminister, according to police.

Last month while in his car, Parhar posted a video describing that he was suffering from a number of symptoms. They included a "rheumy sore throat" and hot and cold feelings. In the midst of that diatribe, he was also coughing and spitting phlegm out his driver's side window.

RELATED STORIES
COVID-19 denier Mak Parhar has a wide range of symptoms, but insists that it's not "CONVID"
Yogi Mak Parhar posts defiant video after Solicitor General Mike Farnworth calls him an idiot for COVID-19 denial
But Parhar adamantly denied that he had "CONVID". That's because according to him, "CONVID doesnt exist".

In a subsequent video, Parhar revealed that he took Invermectim, which is used to treat parasite infections. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has advised people not to take it to treat or prevent COVID-19.

Flat Earther and COVID-19 denier Mak Parhar found dead in New Westminster home | Georgia Straight Vancouver's News & Entertainment Weekly

My dad forwarded this to me today. Pretty good read.

Subject: Whoever wrote this should be applauded

I saw this and it sums up exactly how I feel about everything at present. In fact, I added the final paragraph.

You are not vaccinated, I respect your choice,

I am vaccinated, respect my choice ...

I'm vaccinated, not to please the government but

* To not die from Covid-19.

* To NOT clutter a hospital bed if I get sick.

* To hug my loved ones

* To Not have to do PCR or antigenic tests to go out dancing, go to a restaurant, go on holidays and many more things to come ...

* To live my life.

* To have kids go back to school and play sports.

* For Covid-19 to be an old memory.

* To protect us.

On the other hand, no, I don't know what's in it - neither in this vaccine or the ones I had as a child, nor in the Big Mac, or in hot dogs, or in other treatments, whether it's for cancer, AIDS, the one for polyarthritis, vaccines for infants or children.

I also don't know what's in Ibuprofen, Tylenol, or other meds, it just cures my headaches, my pains ...

I don't know what's in the ink for tattoos. Or every ingredient in my soap or shampoo. I don’t know the long term effect of mobile phone use or whether or not that restaurant I just ate at REALLY used clean foods or just said it !

In short ...

There's a lot of things I don't know and never will...

I just know one thing: life is short, very short, and I still want to do something other than just going to work every day or staying locked in my home. I still want to travel and hug people without fear, find a little feeling of life "before".

As a child and as an adult I've been vaccinated for mumps, measles, rubella, polio, chicken pox, and probs a few others; my parents and I trusted the science and never had to suffer through or transmit any of said diseases ... just saying.

You're told to put your seat tables up before takeoff as well as seats in the "upright" position.  You're told to wear a seat belt when driving your vehicle. You're told to stop at a red light and walk on the designated light ....to stand when playing the National Anthem ....all sorts of things.  Do each one of them not offend your "Rights and Freedoms" just as much as getting a vaccination to protect others as well as yourself???

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

"Most of you will just scroll past this...I think I already know who will actually care and read it."

There's also something about ashamed - but I'll stop there. 

There were also a variety of dire consequences promised if you broke the chain- something like the children of the previous sender would be eaten alive by orcs if you failed to forward. Never responded to any of then. The modern day equivalent  is the tripe circulated about pizza parlours serving as fronts for pedophile trafficking and such.

Manitoba announced 494 new cases of #COVID19 and 6 more deaths over 3 days ending Monday, Nov. 8, 2021.
 Active cases: 1,377
 Total caseload: 64,701
 Recovered: 62,062
 Deaths: 1,262

Saturday cases: 183 (highest for 1 day since June 13)
 Sunday: 155
 Monday: 156

The seven-day average daily #COVID19 case count in Manitoba rises to 148. That's the highest since June 19, during the third wave. The running average daily case count for Manitoba has grown by 29 per cent in one week.

Five-day Manitoba #COVID19 test-positivity rate: 5.4  per cent (up 0.7 percentage points since Friday)

Tests completed Sunday: 2,567

Manitoba #COVID19 patients in hospital: 141 (up 23, new fourth-wave high)
 In ICU: 26 (up 2)

Active cases, by vaccination status: 
 Not: 791 (57%)
 Partially: 80 (6%)
 Fully: 506 (37%)

Hospital cases, by vaccination status: 
 Not: 62 (55%)
 Partially: 6 (5%)
 Fully: 44 (39%)

ICU cases, by vaccination status: 
 Not: 16 (89%)
 Partially: 0 (0%)
 Fully: 2 (11%)

Regional breakdown of 156 new Manitoba #COVID19 cases today:
 56 Southern 
 53 Winnipeg
 31 Prairie Mountain
 9 Interlake-Eastern
 7 Northern

The 9 latest Manitobans to succumb to #COVID19:
 - Northern woman in her 40s (unspecified variant of concern, reported Friday)
 - A Prairie Mountain man in his 70s (Health Science Centre GD2 outbreak, Friday)
 - A Praitie Mountain woman in her 70s (unspecified VOC, Saturday)
 - A Southern man in his 70s (Saturday)
 - A Southern woman in her 70s (Saturday)
 - A Southern woman in her 70s (Sunday)
 - A Winnipeg woman in her 80s (unspecified VOC, Sunday)
 - A Prairie Mountain woman in her 80s (Benito Personal Care Home outbreak, Saturday)
 - A Prairie Mountain woman in her 90s (Benito Personal Care Home outbreak, Friday)

New outbreaks:
 - Health Science Centre, unit GD4, Medical, Winnipeg
 - Third Crossing Manor Personal Care Home, Gladstone
 - Neepawa Health Centre, Neepawa
 - Russell Health Centre, Russell

Manitoba recorded another 7,007 #COVID19 vaccine doses over the past 3 days.
 Manitobans with 1 shot: 1,050,468
 Proportion of Manitobans 12 and up with 1 shot: 86.9%
 Two shots: 1,010,423
 Proportion with 2 shots: 83.9%
 Manitobans aged 12 and up: ~1,189,903

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

North Dakota Lawmaker Gets COVID, Forced To Miss His Anti-Vaccine Rally.  Republican Rep. Jeff Hoverson said he is taking the deworming drug ivermectin as a COVID-19 treatment, and has not checked into a hospital.

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — A North Dakota lawmaker and an organizer of a rally Monday to oppose COVID-19 vaccine mandates is infected with the coronavirus and won’t attend the event.

Republican Rep. Jeff Hoverson posted on Facebook Sunday that he was “quarantining and each day is getting better.” The Minot lawmaker said he is taking the deworming drug ivermectin as a COVID-19 treatment, and has not checked into a hospital.

“Covid is real and like a really bad flu,” Hoverson wrote.

Hoverson, a pastor, told The Associated Press that was diagnosed last week.

“I’m feeling rough,” he said Monday. “But this ivermectin is keeping me out of the hospital.”

Ivermectin is designed to fight parasitic infections but conservative commentators have promoted it as a treatment for COVID-19, despite a lack of conclusive evidence that it helps.

“It’s making me better,” Hoverson said.

The North Dakota Legislature returned to Bismarck Monday for a special five-day session during which a bill to prevent vaccine mandates will almost certainly gain approval. House Majority Leader Chet Pollert said Hoverson could participate remotely.

North Dakota’s Republican leadership and GOP Gov. Doug Burgum have said they oppose such mandates and the state has joined a federal lawsuit challenging President Joe Biden’s COVID-19 vaccine rules.

Although Hoverson will not attend the rally at North Dakota’s statehouse, he said three of his teenage children will be there.

Hoverson is among the most far-right legislators in the GOP-controlled Legislature. He introduced legislation last session to repeal mask mandates and he sponsored failed legislation that would have made it a felony to help women access abortions.

Last month, he was barred from boarding a flight at Minot International Airport after a run-in with a security agent. And as a freshman legislator two years ago, Hoverson protested a prayer by a Hindu cleric, saying he didn’t “want to be compelled to pray for a false god.”

North Dakota Lawmaker Gets COVID, Forced To Miss His Anti-Vaccine Rally | HuffPost Latest News

4-to-1 vaccine split means COVID deaths are three times higher in Trump counties than Biden areas.  Vaccine hesitancy has caused the partisan gap in death rates to be higher than ever recorded

This past month, the gap in COVID-19 death rates between counties that voted for Donald Trump and President Biden has been higher than ever recorded, according to a New York Times analysis, likely due to lingering Republican hesitancy over the safety of the vaccine.  

This month, about "25 out of every 100,000 residents of heavily Trump counties died from Covid, more than three times higher than the rate in heavily Biden counties," the Times found. The analysis – which defines "Trump counties" as any that saw at least 60% of their electorate vote for Trump in the 2020 election – also observed that the gap appears to be climbing. 

According to the Times, the difference is most likely explained by the emergence of the COVID-19 vaccine, which has seen much higher rates of hesitancy amongst conservatives. In fact, prior to the vaccine, when the nation saw a marked partisan discrepancy in the use of public health measures, there was a marginal partisan difference in the death rates. 

"The true explanation is straightforward," explained the Times' David Leonhardt. "The vaccines are remarkably effective at preventing severe Covid, and almost 40 percent of Republican adults remain unvaccinated, compared with about 10 percent of Democratic adults."