Covid-19

JCon

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

It really is astounding and downright scary how many insane people there are in this world, I don't care what education they have it's clear that they cannot think for themselves anymore and slurp in everything that they are told or hear

Yet at the same time calling others sheep because they don't "do their own research" 🙄

A "T-cell priming" vaccine could provide better COVID-19 immunity than mRNA vaccines.  This new vaccine, which is in an early stage of clinical trials, exploits a specific type of immune system cell

The development of mRNA vaccines, a long-promised and much-touted biotechnology, is regarded as a great victory of medical research spurred by the COVID-19 pandemic. Nowadays, millions of people have been inoculated with these novel vaccines, which comprise both the Pfizer/BioNTech shot as well as Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine. 

Yet mRNA vaccine technology is not the only immunological innovation that may emerge from the pandemic. Now, a company based in the United Kingdom called Emergex is preparing to test a next-generation COVID-19 vaccine based on a radical new technology. Unlike the messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccines — which inject a bespoke strand of messenger RNA that generates Spike proteins within the human body — this new vaccine technology is delivered via a skin patch, and relies on T cells, which are white blood cells that are part of the immune system, to kill infected cells.

It is believed that a T-cell vaccine would incite a more rapid and durable response to fighting the infection.

"Although current COVID-19 vaccines have made significant progress in reducing mortality and morbidity, challenges still remain, especially with the development of new variants," said Professor Blaise Genton, Principal Investigator for the trial from the Center for Primary Care and Public Health (Unisante) at the University of Lausanne, Switzerland. "This exciting new scientific approach to developing a vaccine against SARS-CoV-2 addresses the need to generate a T-cell response to elicit long term immunity."

One of the constituent types of immune system cells, T cells play a vital role in fighting threatening foreign substances in the human body. Unlike some immune system cells, T cells do not attack any foreign body; rather, they are laser-focused only on specific pathogens. This trait, researchers believe, could be exploited such that their vaccine could instill a T-cell response in the human body — without actually giving their immune system the dangerous SARS-CoV-2 virus first.

Emergex's proposed vaccine would prepare T cells to remove infected cells from the body right after being infected. This would prevent the virus from replicating and progressing to COVID-19. By targeting and priming the T cells, this would also reduce the transmissibility between infected and non-infected people because it would stop the virus from replicating and prevent the onset of symptoms.

A "T-cell priming" vaccine could provide better COVID-19 immunity than mRNA vaccines | Salon.com

Manitoba announced 179 new cases of #COVID19 and 5 more deaths on Thursday, Nov. 18, 2021.
 Active cases: 1,404
 Total caseload: 66,184
 Recovered: 63,499
 Deaths: 1,281

The seven-day average daily case count rises by one case to 147.
Manitoba #COVID19 patients in hospital: 157 (up 5)

In ICU: 30 (no change)

Five-day Manitoba #COVID19 test-positivity rate: 5.4 per cent 
Winnipeg rate: 2.9 per cent

The latest 8 Manitobans to succumb to #COVID19:
 - A Winnipeg man in his 30s (disclosed today)
 - A Southern man in his  60s (Wednesday)
 - A Prairie Mountain man in his 70s (Wednesday)
 - A Winnipeg woman in her 70s (today)
 - A Winnipeg man in his 70s (delta, Thursday)
 - A Southern woman in her 80s (Third Crossing Manor outbreak, today)
 - A Southern man in his 80s (Third Crossing Manor outbreak, today)
 - A Prairie Mountain woman in her 90s (Benito Personal Care Home outbreak, Tuesday)

Regional breakdown of new Manitoba #COVID19 cases:
 69 Southern 
 43 Winnipeg
 32 Northern 
 28 Prairie Mountain
 7 Interlake-Eastern

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Just now, JCon said:

But, I'm not sure if that's the kids doses. I guess, book it and wait for the announcement today, following HCs approval this morning. 

I had the same thought... wouldn't want to go all the way down there to get turned away.  I know that when I was trying to book for my older kids, it wouldn't even let me get that far until they were officially eligible, so I'm hopeful that means they have the kids doses ready to go.

News release says the kids doses will arrive in Canada within days and that it will take about about a week to get them distributed to clinics within Manitoba.

@Tracker, how do you know that doses are already in Winnipeg?

Just now, Goalie said:

It was announced last night. It's front page free press. When available? Likely December 

Yes, they announced the eligibility yesterday.  I'm assuming more details about availability in MB will come out at the press conference today.