Covid-19

JCon

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I think A is still accurate.....it's relative. Without the vaccines, it would be MUCH worse. B is fair....under estimated some people's stupidity. 

Personally, I am surprised at how big of an impact the unvaccinated pockets are having.  With the large urban centres mostly vaxxed, I thought MB. would fair better.

Assume made an ass out of me again.

9 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Personally, I am surprised at how big of an impact the unvaccinated pockets are having.  With the large urban centres mostly vaxxed, I thought MB. would fair better.

Assume made an ass out of me again.

Well, Winnipeg being largely vaxxed is extremely noticeable with their (still) low TP%.....but you really notice who isn't vaxxed (south) and who's in congregate living (north)....at any rate, I still think MB is doing alright. I'm not sure how much more you can really do for restrictions. It might be one of those things that you just have to brace yourselves and be as diligent as possible until the wave passes...

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Well, Winnipeg being largely vaxxed is extremely noticeable with their (still) low TP%.....but you really notice who isn't vaxxed (south) and who's in congregate living (north)....at any rate, I still think MB is doing alright. I'm not sure how much more you can really do for restrictions. It might be one of those things that you just have to brace yourselves and be as diligent as possible until the wave passes...

They are hinting about more restrictions - I guess we shall see. 

There are actually rural schools (Pine Creek School Div.) that are completely shuttered as we speak, due to outbreaks.  Staff is not even able to deliver remote learning, as everything happened quickly and with little notice.  

We were abysmal for the first year or slightly less of the pandemic. Refusing mask mandates, criticizing doctors, making cuts to health care. Spending public money last summer to encourage large events and tourism (half a year before people would start getting vaccinated). We basically had a victory parade before each wave of the pandemic because "we are not like other jurisdictions" in the words of Pallister. We fought bringing in restrictions and then blamed people for not taking extra steps that were suggested, but not mandated by the province. People lost their lives and some their livelihoods because we kept hoping our province was immune to pandemic waves for some reason.

We've since allowed for more input from medical professionals and taken a more cautious route with more foresight. Taking the lead with vaccine requirements has been great. I think we have tried to walk the line between trying to make things as close to normal as possible for vaccinated people, which I think is the best way to go. The unvaccinated (by choice) should be bearing the brunt of restrictions. They've had their time flouting restrictions, now is their time to take responsibility.

We haven't been perfect, we've still flirted with removing mask mandates while fighting with medical professionals and the city of Winnipeg. PC MLAs have done a piss-poor job showing leadership by posting photos at gatherings without masks. Our health minister is a joke. Compared to ideal pandemic leadership we are still bad. Compared to conservative governments in the two provinces to the west of us - we look pretty decent recently.

17 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Anybody else pissed that they've followed the rules because they're a relatively caring person or a member of the woke mob according to Aaron Rodgers and we face further restrictions due to idiots being selfish assholes? Oh and also pissed that the province is waiting too long to address issues again?

I understand your frustration but if having these restrictions on me saves even a few lives, I will put up with it. The anti-vaxxers are being irresponsible about their obligations as a member of society, so that leaves it up to the rest of us to be adults and lead by example.

23 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I understand your frustration but if having these restrictions on me saves even a few lives, I will put up with it. The anti-vaxxers are being irresponsible about their obligations as a member of society, so that leaves it up to the rest of us to be adults and lead by example.

I should note I am fine with the current restrictions and I get your point. Its just frustrating, letting off steam.

Could be worse no PC MLA has gone after Big Bird, so we have that going for us.

Edited by rebusrankin

55 minutes ago, WildPath said:

We were abysmal for the first year or slightly less of the pandemic. Refusing mask mandates, criticizing doctors, making cuts to health care. Spending public money last summer to encourage large events and tourism (half a year before people would start getting vaccinated). We basically had a victory parade before each wave of the pandemic because "we are not like other jurisdictions" in the words of Pallister. We fought bringing in restrictions and then blamed people for not taking extra steps that were suggested, but not mandated by the province. People lost their lives and some their livelihoods because we kept hoping our province was immune to pandemic waves for some reason.

We've since allowed for more input from medical professionals and taken a more cautious route with more foresight. Taking the lead with vaccine requirements has been great. I think we have tried to walk the line between trying to make things as close to normal as possible for vaccinated people, which I think is the best way to go. The unvaccinated (by choice) should be bearing the brunt of restrictions. They've had their time flouting restrictions, now is their time to take responsibility.

We haven't been perfect, we've still flirted with removing mask mandates while fighting with medical professionals and the city of Winnipeg. PC MLAs have done a piss-poor job showing leadership by posting photos at gatherings without masks. Our health minister is a joke. Compared to ideal pandemic leadership we are still bad. Compared to conservative governments in the two provinces to the west of us - we look pretty decent recently.

I agree there were alot of issues to start. As far as ideal leadership, it hasn't existed in any provinces. I was upset with the  Trudeau government's bungling of procuring/ producing  of vaccines at the start. But I will swallow my utter dislike of him and say they have done well since. I'm  not a fan of our current provincial government but I will say the same for them. Not good to start but have done pretty well since.

Yes, plenty of criticism is warranted when it comes to the government approach...

But to say it was abysmal right from the start, is inaccurate.

In the spring of 2020 when it all started - I fail to see what they could have done differently

The entire province was shut down and all schools were closed. 

The lead doctors were dithering about masks - you couldn't expect politicians to mandate them at that point

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Yes, plenty of criticism is warranted when it comes to the government approach...

But to say it was abysmal right from the start, is inaccurate.

In the spring of 2020 when it all started - I fail to see what they could have done differently

The entire province was shut down and all schools were closed. 

The lead doctors were dithering about masks - you couldn't expect politicians to mandate them at that point

Correct about the first few weeks. I should clarify that I didn't mean the first few weeks, but for most of the time after, at least up until Christmas when Pallister made his tearful cancelling Christmas speech. For most of that first year, medical professionals were consistently urging more restrictions and were especially critical of the 'Restart Manitoba' campaign.

Steps like the ones suggested by doctors in the article below would have prevented or decreased our huge surge around Christmas 2020. Our government consistently favoured short term economic benefits over health recommendations. Our health minister, Cameron Friesen, questioned the motivation of the doctors and criticized the doctors for attempting to cause chaos and said "we got this" before our huge wave of Covid. - https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/health-minister-doctors-letter-1.5788783

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/frontline-physicians-urge-manitobans-government-to-take-action-against-covid-19-1.5172070

In regards to masks, initial information was somewhat confusing and varied. My memory is that it was clearly established that masks were beneficial for a long time before we instituted a mask mandate. I remember the PCs being questioned about it continually and the retort was always 'strongly recommended', but not required. I had a hard time finding when we eventually issued a mask mandate, but I found this article from Sept. 2020 that the province was considering it. I believe the effectiveness of masks was strongly supported well before this date. Covid has messed with time for me, but I believe it is around the time Trump was also being roasted for criticizing masks and recommending them, but not being for him.

https://winnipegsun.com/news/provincial/province-considering-mask-mandate-according-to-internal-government-memo

3 hours ago, Mark H. said:

For April, May and June of 2020 - things are mostly shut down

Masks became a thing that summer, and were mandated for public places in July / August and then for grades 4 - 12 when school started

One of the articles I posted mentioned the provincial government began to consider a mask mandate in September. I believe it was already a requirement by the city of Winnipeg, but my point was that the province lagged behind when it was already clear that masks were a good preventative measure. I don't believe any public health officials were legitimately dithering about masks in the summer, but it was a political decision not to mandate them province wide.

We paid for this.

Restart Manitoba and the public funding to attract large events and tourism happened in August July I believe. Definitely before provincial mask requirements.

For fun I looked way back at this thread. Masks were definitely a thing and desired by posters at least at the start of May, likely quite a bit before.

Side note: reading a few pages from way back in this thread is pretty interesting. I would love to have it archived and be looked back at in 5/10 years.

Edited by WildPath

Projections of over 200 cases a day for December. Medical procedures are being postponed in order to increase ICU capacity. Southern health expected to go up a lot faster in the near future. Ballsy decision to specifically target religious gatherings, especially in southern region.

New restrictions seem based on where cases are happening with an attempt to make sure vaccinated people are not being unfairly punished by those causing outbreaks. Time for more restrictions in hopes that the holiday season will be better than the last.

I can imagine how limits to religious gatherings will go for Southern health along with the people that will play into the 'persecution/removal of human rights' for personal fame or gain. I already see the dollar signs in the eyes of pastor Leon recruiting the religious nuts from southern health since Springs isn't included in the new restrictions.

Edited by WildPath

Part 1/2

New cases by region:
 Southern - 94
 Winnipeg - 48
 Prairie Mountain - 25
 Northern - 15
 Interlake-Eastern - 11

105 of today's 193 new cases were not fully vaccinated, including 96 with no vaccine at all. 88 fully vaccinated cases.

ICU active case total: 23
 Unvaxed: 21
 Partially vaxed: 0
 Fully vaxed: 2

Active hospitalization total: 110
 Unvaxed: 59
 Partially vaxed: 4
 Fully vaxed: 47

First-dose uptake - 87% (no change)
Second-dose uptake - 84.2% (+0.1%)
2,114,754 doses administered now. 
4,773 doses administered over the past two days.

Regions below 50% uptake: 
 Winkler - 44.8% (+0.1%)
 RM of Stanley - 26% (+0.2%)

Southern Health has 16 of the province's 30 ICU admissions. They have 64 of the 143 hopitalizations.

2 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

They are running out of non-vaccinated restrictions to add. Vaccinated measures coming next is my guess.

Could always limit capacity based on RM vaccinated %

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Part 2/2

New deaths: 
 Tuesday: 
  M50s - Southern
  M70s - Southern
  M70s - Southern
  W80s - Southern 
 Wednesday: 
  M60s - Prairie Mountain
  W70s - Southern
 Thursday
  M80s - Prairie Mountain

All linked to unspecified VOCs.

Winnipeg TP rate is now 3%.

Cases since Monday: 687

New cases by region since Monday: 
 Southern - 319
 Winnipeg - 176
 Prairie Mountain - 82
 Interlake-Eastern - 57
 Northern - 53

New outbreaks: 
 - Portage District General Hospital Rehab Unit in Portage la Prairie
 - Russell Personal Care Home in Russell

New school outbreaks: 
 - River Heights School. Kindergarten cohort, in Brandon;
 - École Lacerte School, kindergarten class, in Winnipeg;
 - Westdale School, Grade 6, in Winnipeg;
 - Ralph Maybank School, grades 2/3 and 3/4 classes, in Winnipeg;
 - Edmund Partridge School, Grade 6 class, in Winnipeg; and
 - South Pointe School, Grade 2 class, in Winnipeg.

A total of 46 warnings and 20 tickets were issued for the week of Nov 1 to 7 including: 
 - one $1,296 ticket to an individual; 
 - 18 $298 tickets to individuals for failure to wear a mask in an indoor public place; and 
 - one $5,000 ticket to a business.

New orders: 
   Religious gatherings are limited to 25 people unless the facility can physically divide the space into separate areas, in which case several cohorts of up to 25 can attend the same service.
   However, the total number of attendees at a service may not exceed 25 per cent of facility capacity, to a maximum of 250 people. Cohorts must not mingle, masks must be worn and physical distancing rules apply.

This applies to the Southern Health-Santé Sud health region only;
 - this new restriction goes into effect Saturday, Nov. 13 at 12:01 a.m.;
 - services restricted to fully immunized people and those under 12 who are not eligible for the vaccine may occur without capacity limits; and
 - the municipalities of Cartier, Headingley, Macdonald, Ritchot (Niverville-Ritchot), St. François Xavier and Taché that are geographically located in the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region, are exempt and considered to be part of the Winnipeg Capital Region.

Provincewide, proof of at least one dose of vaccination, or a recent (within 72 hours) negative test result will be required for 12 to 17 year olds for indoor recreational sports:
 - there will be a grace period until Dec. 5 to allow individuals who are not yet fully immunized to comply, with the order to be in effect at 12:01 a.m. on Dec. 6; and
 - negative tests need to come from a participating pharmacy as provincial testing sites should only be accessed by symptomatic individuals, or those who are required to take a PCR test by public health.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/covid19-outbreak-health-sciences-centre-hospital-winnipeg-1.6246912

A single unvaccinated patient is being blamed for a COVID-19 outbreak at Winnipeg's largest hospital that led to 25 more infections and one death.

The initial case was discovered during routine COVID-19 testing before the patient's operation earlier this month, according to a spokesperson for Shared Health, the organization that oversees Manitoba's health-care system.

The outbreak, on the GD2 surgery unit at the Health Sciences Centre, was declared on Nov. 4. It has since led to a second outbreak being declared on Monday in the GD4 medical unit, the spokesperson said in a statement emailed to CBC Friday.

Since that first case, 16 more patients and nine staff — all fully vaccinated — have contracted breakthrough COVID-19 infections in the two outbreaks, the spokesperson said.

Well of course we need the beds for Covid deniers they are important and must be treated just ask them, just so sad that so many suffering will have surgeries put off once again because a certain segment of out society believe they are more important and entitled than any else and must be able to what ever they want 

9 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

84.4% fully vaxxed. 

The "herd immunity theory" has yet to be proven in practice. I am really alarmed at the unvaxxed patient who has caused 25 infections and one death. There is a case to be made for charging the carrier with willful negligence causing death.