The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

7 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Why would someone who doesn't deal with the public need this? Wasted resources. 

A reminder that the latest mayor was supported by Browaty and campaigned with him and that the population supported closing portage and main. 

The people love Browaty because despite the attempted smear campaign above the intelligent people can recognize a good councillor.

Only a fool would believe that crap above. Had he ran for mayor himself he'd easily win. 

So simplistic.  You're ignoring the fact (as always) that it was part of Winnipeg's commitment to implement the 94 recommendations of the Truth & Reconciliation Commission.  

You may have heard of Winnipeg - it has the largest First Nations population of any Canadian city.  Not per capita - total.

That you don't see the significance of his ignorance says a lot about you.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

A reminder that the latest mayor was supported by Browaty and campaigned with him and that the population supported closing portage and main. 

The people love Browaty because despite the attempted smear campaign above the intelligent people can recognize a good councillor.

Only a fool would believe that crap above. Had he ran for mayor himself he'd easily win. 

This training wasn't about dealing with the public. It is geared towards making us all better humans and helping us to treat each other better everyday. I would feel honoured if my private sector employer would offer this training to all of us. Reconciliation is the responsibility of every person that breathes the great clean Canadian air.

When I grew up I thought residential schools were just where indigenous kids went to school.  Your damn right we ( including me ) need to be educated  about the truth. A few  " wasted resources "  now can help  correct the past or at least our view of it which can help future generations. 

20 hours ago, Wideleft said:

So simplistic.  You're ignoring the fact (as always) that it was part of Winnipeg's commitment to implement the 94 recommendations of the Truth & Reconciliation Commission.  

You may have heard of Winnipeg - it has the largest First Nations population of any Canadian city.  Not per capita - total.

That you don't see the significance of his ignorance says a lot about you.

To quote the legend James Lahey: birds of a **** feather.

Sickening how uninformed (willful or otherwise) so many Canadians are when it comes to the darker, ugly parts of our nation's history.

9 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

To quote the legend James Lahey: birds of a **** feather.

Sickening how uninformed (willful or otherwise) so many Canadians are when it comes to the darker, ugly parts of our nation's history.

And advocating against being informed because "cost".  I mean, what price does someone put on combatting racism?

20 hours ago, Brandon said:

EVERYBODY needs this. Particularly, anyone who advises, works on, or sets policy. It should be mandatory learning in public school and not just the obligatory virtue signalling type of course. Real in depth and unadulterated right from the grade school level. Generations were destroyed by this policy and the impact needs to be understood, so that the generations that follow don't just see the dirty, drunken Indian on the corner and instead feel a profound sense of guilt, and maybe...just maybe a desire to help this individual. 

Shameful piece of our shared history that must be taught and understood for reconciliation to truly happen. We don't get there without it.

4 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

And advocating against being informed because "cost".  I mean, what price does someone put on combatting racism?

At this point it's worse than racism, it's combatting willful ignorance and widespread apathy along side the racism.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

EVERYBODY needs this. Particularly, anyone who advises, works on, or sets policy. It should be mandatory learning in public school and not just the obligatory virtue signalling type of course. Real in depth and unadulterated right from the grade school level. Generations were destroyed by this policy and the impact needs to be understood, so that the generations that follow don't just see the dirty, drunken Indian on the corner and instead feel a profound sense of guilt, and maybe...just maybe a desire to help this individual. 

Shameful piece of our shared history that must be taught and understood for reconciliation to truly happen. We don't get there without it.

At this point it's worse than racism, it's combatting willful ignorance and widespread apathy along side the racism.

If anyone needs an example of institutional racism for future conversations with racism deniers, feel free to drop Browaty's name on this.

Edited by Wideleft

Browaty does a good job of addressing the requests of people in his ward. He is also very conservative and reflects the views of many in his ward which is also very conservative. Its the same area provincially that elected Bonnie Mitchelson from 1986-2016 and that Cathy Cox has held since 2015. Also the same area Joy Smith held federally from 04-15 and the Dancho has held since 2019.  He is not a good politician.

10 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Browaty does a good job of addressing the requests of people in his ward. He is also very conservative and reflects the views of many in his ward which is also very conservative. Its the same area provincially that elected Bonnie Mitchelson from 1986-2016 and that Cathy Cox has held since 2015. Also the same area Joy Smith held federally from 04-15 and the Dancho has held since 2019.  He is not a good human.

Fixed it for you. 

Just now, JCon said:

On a lot of things. Could have been much worse. Judy would have been worse. But, he checked every box in the "do little" category. 

At least he tried to take on the developers with the growth fees.  Other than that, I am drawing a bit of a blank.

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

The problem with a pedestrian overpass is that it'll end up looking more like this than a nice aesthetically pleasing walkway.  

stock-photo-pedestrian-bridge-red-fencin

I don't know...I mean it could...but it doesn't have to. I have been in many cities with very nice pedestrian overpasses. I can't see why they couldn't build something a little nicer than that.

Edited by GCn20

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I don't know...I mean it could...but it doesn't have to. I have been in many cities with very nice pedestrian overpasses. I can't see why they couldn't build something a little nicer than that.

You're right they could probably come up with something a little nicer looking but safety would definitely have to be factored into the design (the city learned that the hard way at the Millenium Library a few years ago) so it wouldn't be an open concept like they've provided.