The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

6 minutes ago, bluto said:

Purolator

That probably explains the delay issues. Purolator rots, especially since the pandemic.

Indian Motorcycles has their head office in Minnesota, so I suspect that they might ship merchandise for Canadian customers from there to a central hub such as Winnipeg and then onto other parts of the country for delivery.

19 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Ill never understand why they dont make bus shelters out of plexiglass. I know the cost would be higher but they would surely pay for themselves when you factor in vandalism?? $700K over a year and a half is insane.

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

That probably explains the delay issues. Purolator rots, especially since the pandemic.

Indian Motorcycles has their head office in Minnesota, so I suspect that they might ship merchandise for Canadian customers from there to a central hub such as Winnipeg and then onto other parts of the country for delivery.

Shouldn't they change their name to "First Nations Motorcycles"?

3 hours ago, bluto said:

Purolator

Edit: good point! They may be at Purolator... None of my parcels from them may be safe anymore... (although I'd rest better if it turns out that they aren't at Indian)

Yeah, if u not at home Purolator leaves em at one of their stores. Least it used to be like that. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/hudson-bagels-drug-trafficking-allegations-charges-1.6694465

One of the owners of a Winnipeg bagel shop was a high-ranking member of a drug trafficking network that moved cocaine and MDMA into Manitoba and distributed it within the province, a court filing alleges.

Chris Silva, who owns Hudson Bagels, was charged on Dec. 14 with trafficking, possession for the purposes of trafficking and possession of property or the proceeds of property obtained by drug-related crime valued over $5,000.

The incidents outlined in the court filing include one where a Gucci brand gift bag containing $45,000 in cash was allegedly handed over to Silva, and another in which he's accused of using an alias to send $90,000 in cash to an address in British Columbia.

The crimes Silva is charged with are alleged to have happened between Sept. 13 and Dec. 14, court records show.

Hudson Bagels, a small white shop with a bright yellow door and a black-and-white striped awning on Winnipeg's Sherbrook Street, opened during the pandemic in November 2020.

The provincial government is now seeking to seize money from bank accounts linked to Silva, his partner and co-owner and to their business, alleging Silva made two cash deposits of $10,000 or more this year into an account under the bagel shop's name.

YARN | How do you like your bagels now? | Seinfeld (1993) - S09E10 The  Strike | Video clips by quotes | dcb3d2e6 | 紗

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Note all the trees and green they put in the images but will not plant trees or create actual greenspace. That, unfortunately, will be lost to budget cuts down the road. It's going to remain all concrete. 

On 2023-01-12 at 3:52 PM, Tracker said:

for those who would like a bit of encouragement: January 15th marks the midpoint of winter and temperatures on average moderate after this point. WE'RE HALFWAY THROUGH WINTER!!! YAAAY!!! 

But its been a pretty moderate winter so far.

Bah humbug - we haven't even had a good blizzard.

• 1 month later...

Winnipeg Jets owner True North considering purchase of Portage Place mall, multiple sources say

Option to purchase downtown mall on the table, according to city report due to be published Monday

Bartley Kives · CBC News · Posted: Mar 06, 2023 5:00 AM CST | Last Updated: 4 hours ago

The real estate division of True North Sports and Entertainment is considering a purchase of downtown Winnipeg's beleaguered Portage Place mall, according to multiple city, provincial and non-governmental sources.

City council is poised to publish on Monday a report about a proposed sale of Portage Place that would give True North Real Estate Development, a division of the company that owns the Winnipeg Jets, an option to purchase the 36-year-old property, according to the sources.

The purchase option would only be exercised after a months-long due diligence period as well as community consultations, said several sources familiar with plan.

CBC News has not viewed the report. True North Sports and Entertainment acknowledged a request for comment but did not issue a statement.

Sources familiar with the report said they were not aware what plans True North may have for the mall.

Over the past two decades, True North has made hundreds of millions of dollars worth of investment into downtown Winnipeg through the construction of the Canada Life Centre, the Centrepoint development to the north of the hockey arena and the True North Square development to the west.

As well, True North executive chairman Mark Chipman has on several occasions expressed a desire to alleviate homelessness and addictions in downtown Winnipeg.

In 2019, Chipman said he supported a 24/7 addictions drop-in centre in downtown Winnipeg to alleviate what he described as "the most heartbreaking of circumstances."

Two years later, he suggested social conditions in Winnipeg's core had only worsened during the pandemic.

"It's gone long past just being heartbreaking: it's become, in my humble opinion, a humanitarian crisis," Chipman said in 2021 at a downtown safety partnership event.

Chipman also attended a provincial social housing announcement last week. He did not confirm or deny True North's interest in Portage Place, a mall built as one of many downtown Winnipeg revitalization projects.

(more)  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/true-north-portage-place-1.6767792?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

Well it can't be nearly as bad as that insulting deal with that last group trying to get everyone else to pay for them to buy out Portage Place. 

24/7 addictions drop in center at the site however would be a kiss of death for having any sort of life/pulse at the site though.   That area needs to be heavily cleaned up and a far stronger security presence in order to get any sort of chance of people coming back to visit it.   

43 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Well it can't be nearly as bad as that insulting deal with that last group trying to get everyone else to pay for them to buy out Portage Place. 

24/7 addictions drop in center at the site however would be a kiss of death for having any sort of life/pulse at the site though.   That area needs to be heavily cleaned up and a far stronger security presence in order to get any sort of chance of people coming back to visit it.   

If it were to happen, I'm pretty sure the RAAM clinic would have street access - although I have no idea one way or the other.

Also, you can't security yourself out of widespread drug addiction.  You need to treat addiction, not punish it.

7 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

If it were to happen, I'm pretty sure the RAAM clinic would have street access - although I have no idea one way or the other.

Also, you can't security yourself out of widespread drug addiction.  You need to treat addiction, not punish it.

Yes you can,  many place around the world have enhanced security in areas for which they have tourists or other people who are willing to spend money.     I'm not saying you can't have a center but it would have to be out of sight from the main parts of downtown and the city would need to adopt a zero tolerance on public intoxication/drugs which would go a long away into gaining the publics comfort in returning to the location.   The overall opinion/feeling of downtown is that it is dead and completely disgusting and unsafe.  They would really need to clean it up to get people back.