Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

Free agency is the time players can shop around and get their ego stroked. If you don't talk to teams how are you going to gauge your market worth? 

As a fan I really, really want Willie back. As a guy approaching retirement I can appreciate how a little more money can be useful and don't hate him getting some.

3 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

Free agency is the time players can shop around and get their ego stroked. If you don't talk to teams how are you going to gauge your market worth? 

As a fan I really, really want Willie back. As a guy approaching retirement I can appreciate how a little more money can be useful and don't hate him getting some.

Is he really going to get more dough in the end....considering playoff money and possibly Cup dough...For some reason I just don't see the argo's playing in the post season....Maybe it's just me

22 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Have we? A guy with with seven career starts just got a contract for approx. $500k/yr. Last years' qb contracts were bigger b/c they went to the three highest profile qbs in the league.

I think we have seen a QB reset. Last year the two big fish landed 700 and 800k contracts. This year nothing over 500k. TO with low contracts to 2 QBs, Sask gets their most outstanding nominee QB for less than 500, only Arbuckle may have an argument for overpay but again is well under 500....and lets not forget that BLM and Masoli both took big shaves as well.

Id say the QB market has reset to 2018 levels.

Edited by GCn20

10 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

If I were a CFL player I'd want to maximize every dollar I could in terms of salary offers. This isn't the NFL where if you made $30 million versus $20 million your retirement life isn't much different. Most CFL players are looking at getting some type of job post playing days. So, getting an extra $60K salary or so over a couple of years makes a big difference. No hard feelings from me if WJ signs elsewhere for more money. Love to have him back though. 

36 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Hes got basically everything you can get as a Defensive player. He did that by taking less to be on a team that was ready to win it all. Going for the Money now that he has a GC and MODP award wouldn't at all be surprising. 

a lot of people forgetting Willie was on the 2015 championship Edmonton team...

44 minutes ago, Stickem said:

We know it's all about the money if Willie goes with the big smoke...I guess it'll be ...c'mon on down to T.O. ....and 'down' would be the right word....I always thought that was bull$hit anyways....it's all about the dough not the city...

Walters will have all the chance to match all offers on the table, this weekend. All is not lost yet.

Its going to be interesting to see how the Argos use both Nichols and MBT. Could be some ruffled feathers in the QB room to quote Mr. Maurice. The Argos better leave Willie alone and use their money to find some people to catch the ball from their 600K+ tandem. Looking mighty thin after Edwards....

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

11 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

If I were a CFL player I'd want to maximize every dollar I could in terms of salary offers. This isn't the NFL where if you made $30 million versus $20 million your retirement life isn't much different. Most CFL players are looking at getting some type of job post playing days. So, getting an extra $60K salary or so over a couple of years makes a big difference. No hard feelings from me if WJ signs elsewhere for more money. Love to have him back though. 

It's short sighted even for CFL players to only look at $ and not consider the situation.

Take us offering Willie 250K vs. 290K in Toronto - Sure he could just consider the 40k difference as the only factor... but then you need to consider which team feels more likely to have a greater number of playoff games (which could certainly reduce the difference in the CASH difference) - Taking the big payday only works out long term if you keep having a performance level which suits the payday - all it would take is a down year by Willie and TO is cutting him and he might have trouble even getting paid what the Bombers might offer this year (which is better 290K + 180K or 250Kx2) 

A down year with a more reasonable salary probably gives him a chance to prove himself at the start of the next year.

44 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

It's short sighted even for CFL players to only look at $ and not consider the situation.

Take us offering Willie 250K vs. 290K in Toronto - Sure he could just consider the 40k difference as the only factor... but then you need to consider which team feels more likely to have a greater number of playoff games (which could certainly reduce the difference in the CASH difference) - Taking the big payday only works out long term if you keep having a performance level which suits the payday - all it would take is a down year by Willie and TO is cutting him and he might have trouble even getting paid what the Bombers might offer this year (which is better 290K + 180K or 250Kx2) 

A down year with a more reasonable salary probably gives him a chance to prove himself at the start of the next year.

Offer Jefferson the same deal they gave Bighill, 3 even 4 year contract at $250,000.  Lock him up.

Players play to win.....and get paid amongst other things. I would think a lot of factors would come into a players decision on where to play. Money, winning, city, cost of living, family, locker room/coach, legacy, etc. Does willie take an extra 30K-40K to play in front of 17 fans, for an unknown coach, on a mediocre team, in an expensive city, being just another face in the crowd? Or does he take a home town discount to come back to a winning team, with a great coach and locker room, in an inexpensive city that him and his wife have a connection to, with a rabid fan base, and be a hero high-fived wherever he goes? We'll soon find out.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Jefferson left the 2015 champion Esks to follow his coach to Sask. He loves that guy....and he also loves Osh, is my understanding. So....there's that, anyhow.

Never know,a phone call by o'shea may be the last thing willie needs to stay in the peg

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

I think we have seen a QB reset. Last year the two big fish landed 700 and 800k contracts. This year nothing over 500k. TO with low contracts to 2 QBs, Sask gets their most outstanding nominee QB for less than 500, only Arbuckle may have an argument for overpay but again is well under 500....and lets not forget that BLM and Masoli both took big shaves as well.

Id say the QB market has reset to 2018 levels.

Last year it was the top 2 or 3 QB's in the league getting paid. This year, it's the second or third tier guys.

We're paying big bucks for a QB who only had 4 starts last year due to concussions.

Ottawa's paying big bucks for a QB who only has 7 starts under his belt.

Regina's paying big bucks for a QB with only 1 year as a starter.

All of them could be considered over pays compared to 2018 levels.