2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

4 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I like McGuire's potential and upside but it makes me nervous going into the season with a guy who has three career passing attempts as the number 2.

Agree. But plenty of time is left in the off season. Ideally we'd get Franklin (or some one similar) on a cheap deal, and either bring back knight or find another athletic run threat qb to go into camp with mcguire and collaros. 

50 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I like McGuire's potential and upside but it makes me nervous going into the season with a guy who has three career passing attempts as the number 2.

Anyone ever heard of Montell Cozart?   How about Marcus McMarvion?  These are the two QB's the Stamps currently have backing up BLM, I doubt Huf is going to venture into the new season relying on this level of raw inexperience, the Bombers probably shouldn't either.  McGuire may become a competent QB in time, but it's not going to happen until he's accumulated substantial playing time and it's unlikely he'll be pulling W's out of his hat while he's learning the ropes.

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Anyone ever heard of Montell Cozart?   How about Marcus McMarvion?  These are the two QB's the Stamps currently have backing up BLM, I doubt Huf is going to venture into the new season relying on this level of raw inexperience, the Bombers probably shouldn't either.  McGuire may become a competent QB in time, but it's not going to happen until he's accumulated substantial playing time and it's unlikely he'll be pulling W's out of his hat while he's learning the ropes.

Did you hear of Nick Arbuckle before last season?

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

We knew NOTHING about Strev and he had even less experience than McGuire when he had to start the season 2 years ago. People need to relax. McGuire is gonna be QB2 unless he poops the bed in camp. 

Nothing about the 'trinity' says that they will do this...  Streveler was not 'anointed' #2 - he got the job when Alex Ross was injured and AFTER Durant retired....

History says we will sign a backup with some CFL experience and bring in another 1-2 QBs to compete with McGuire for PR spot

Man, what is Toronto thinking? To our incredible good luck Barker relieved us of Drew Willy after we had inflicted PTSD on the poor man him during his time here. How did that work out for the Argos? Then to our incredible good fortune again Toronto helped us end our 29 year Grey Cup drought by giving us Zach Collaros just in time for our playoff run. Many thanks, Toronto. Now The Argos have picked up the well-worn, recently-released former Bomber QB, Matt Nichols and signed him for 3 years. Sure Matt is a solid veteran QB but with his lack of speed and mobility behind a porous Argo O-line and without Andrew Harris in the backfield I don't see this going well for Matt or the Argos. At least Matt has wriggled free of Lapo but Jarious Jackson? Yeesh! Good luck Matt. You're going to need it!

32 minutes ago, J5V said:

If I was MBT I'd be pissed!

He knew it was coming.  It was reported that he would not re-sign with Toronto unless he was given assurances that he would have a fair shot to win the qb1 position.  Whatever Pinball told him was enough because they got him to sign a new deal.

34 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

He knew it was coming.  It was reported that he would not re-sign with Toronto unless he was given assurances that he would have a fair shot to win the qb1 position.  Whatever Pinball told him was enough because they got him to sign a new deal.

Sure he did but I don't think he thought Pinball would give Nichols a 3 year deal. I think Pinball told him he (MBT) is the Argos starter.

Argos did not spend a ton on MBT -- reportedly $217k in hard money, with $90 k available in playing-time bonus. I'm betting they gave Nichols more, but not much more than $300k in hard money, plus PT incentives. So they likely are spending about $600k combined on the two QBs, which is not out of line with what most other teams spend and is less than some spend on one guy. 

I'm also betting MBT wins the starting job, and Nichols is gone after one season. No offence to Nichols, I just think MBT is a better QB.