2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

7 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

There's no advantage to having an American QB on the roster either. They are there because they are good enough to be there.

Whatever. Do you really think Canadian OL are as good as Americans when they are drafted? No, because OF THE RATIO & coaches wanting to play Americans at skill positions these overpaid linemen make more money than other positional players on the team. They can go out & start when they shouldn't, get beaten on pass plays repeatedly  like a rented mule, get the $400,000 starting qb injured & guess what? They get to do it again next game even though they suck. But that's okay. Let's play these useless pylons so we can play an extra American receiver or linebacker but hey, don't develop a Canadian qb because he probably sucks. Anyone watch Foucault & Chungh pull down huge salaries for the Lions last season while Mike Reilly got mugged every game while they whiffed their blocks. Remember when every Blue Bomber qb needed a paid up in full life insurance policy just to play??? Remember when the Bombers tried to rebuild the OL by drafting or trading for Canadian OL but abandoned it as the process to draft & develop would take too long? Canadian OL can thank the ratio for making them as a group one of the highest paid in the CFL as well as automatic starters while other positional players are only special team players.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Whatever. Do you really think Canadian OL are as good as Americans when they are drafted? No, because OF THE RATIO & coaches wanting to play Americans at skill positions these overpaid linemen make more money than other positional players on the team. They can go out & start when they shouldn't, get beaten on pass plays repeatedly  like a rented mule, get the $400,000 starting qb injured & guess what? They get to do it again next game even though they suck. But that's okay. Let's play these useless pylons so we can play an extra American receiver or linebacker but hey, don't develop a Canadian qb because he probably sucks. Anyone watch Foucault & Chungh pull down huge salaries for the Lions last season while Mike Reilly got mugged every game while they whiffed their blocks. Remember when every Blue Bomber qb needed a paid up in full life insurance policy just to play??? Remember when the Bombers tried to rebuild the OL by drafting or trading for Canadian OL but abandoned it as the process to draft & develop would take too long? Canadian OL can thank the ratio for making them as a group one of the highest paid in the CFL as well as automatic starters while other positional players are only special team players.

The GOOD American offensive linemen are paid as much as the Canadians.  I would bet no one on our OL makes more than Stanley Bryant. 

9 hours ago, Booch said:

Marshall is your average cornerback in the league...decent but not shut down like Rider fans like to think...plus takes stupid penalties and is a me first guy before being a total teamate..keeping him, or losing him would have had the same net result there...Moncrief loss though is a ouch for them...they gonna miss him

Yes, average to slightly above average. He only gets talked about bc he's an idiot.

21 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I find it weird that Montreal has an offensive coordinator and a pass coordinator.

Also KJ may be spreading himself a bit too thin in taking three roles on: HC, OC and QB coach.

And a coach at every offensive position plus 2 ol coaches and an ast oc. The passing game co being your db coach is odd too. 

Feel like that's the growing pains of a rookie hc. Khari isn't delegating responsibility well atleast in title and assignment so far. 

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm not sure what you're arguing here? Yes the Ratio increases the wage of players who may be less talented then their counter parts. That's not a secret or what anyone was saying. 

And the reason Olineman are often drafted for developmental reasons is because it's easier to develop an olineman and there's a larger pool to pick from. Add on top of that more positions to fill on the team, and it's easier to hide a weak olinemen than it is a less talented QB.Maybe adding QB's to the ratio would help. BUT then you'd need to take into consideration injury and replacements.

Are you suggesting that if there is a QB who could perform as well as or better then let's say,  Mcguire, they wouldn't get a shot simply because they're Canadian?

Or are you saying teams refuse to take the time to develop Canadian QB's and you don't understand why? - I think this is true. And I think there is good reason. 1) Most CIS qb's just don't have the physical attributes to be a PRO qb (Arm strength, overall size/strength etc) 2) There's only so much space on the team for QB's, so why spend time developing someone who is clearly not on the same level as his competition (who will still need to be developed themselves)? Especially when it won't help the ratio of the team? 

All things considered, like number of available positions, overall talent, ease of development Canadian QB's just don't make it. If there is a Canadian QB who can play at this level he will get an opportunity - see Brandon Bridge. He's a great example of a guy who has all the tools and guess what? He was given an opportunity. In fact, he's been given multiple opportunities.

If you’re wondering why Canadian quarterbacks don’t get a chance, it’s because 99.999999999% of the time, it’s a waste of time.

Canadians get drafted as OL and DL because it’s so much easier to learn the position than it is to learn how to play QB. Investing in potential at those positions can pay quicker dividends. There’s never going to be a QB version of David Onyemata or Efe Obada, there’s never going to be a QB that converted to football from another sport like Antonio Gates or Jimmy Graham. You need a long period of development and high level coaching to succeed as a professional QB. 

7 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

All things considered, like number of available positions, overall talent, ease of development Canadian QB's just don't make it. If there is a Canadian QB who can play at this level he will get an opportunity - see Brandon Bridge. He's a great example of a guy who has all the tools and guess what? He was given an opportunity. In fact, he's been given multiple opportunities.

Ha ha. ^This. 

6 hours ago, Mike said:

If you’re wondering why Canadian quarterbacks don’t get a chance, it’s because 99.999999999% of the time, it’s a waste of time.

Canadians get drafted as OL and DL because it’s so much easier to learn the position than it is to learn how to play QB. Investing in potential at those positions can pay quicker dividends. There’s never going to be a QB version of David Onyemata or Efe Obada, there’s never going to be a QB that converted to football from another sport like Antonio Gates or Jimmy Graham. You need a long period of development and high level coaching to succeed as a professional QB. 

There are qbs in U Sports who can play but need a chance to develop. But simply saying they can't is painting every qb with a wide brush. I don't agree with your assessment. Now when I say develop a Canadian qb I don't mean every one on every team in U Sports. However, if a player shows potential he should get the chance. Maybe that's 1 qb every 3 to 5 years. Like the 2 Canadian qbs on the Argos roster from Laval & UBC. Perhaps Chris Merchant from Western. They should get a legit shot at making a CFL team. As far as producing quick dividends developing Canadian OL that has sure proven to be wrong. Look how long it took Michael Couture to become a starter & Goosen before him. Every team has OL from U Sports that took years to develop. It's not easy nor is it a given these OLwill become CFL starters.

41 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think I already answered that question. If a kid has legit skills then give him a legit chance.

No, you haven't.  Which is why i said "specificly". You made a bunch of generalizations and compliments about whats not being done. What should the cfl do differently? Not sure what "give a kid a legit chance" even means? Gift them a starters role? No thanks.

10 minutes ago, Goldkobra said:

No, you haven't.  Which is why i said "specificly". You made a bunch of generalizations and compliments about whats not being done. What should the cfl do differently? Not sure what "give a kid a legit chance" even means? Gift them a starters role? No thanks.

It means, if it's your kid, you know more than the coaches and your kid should get to play.

5 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

It means, if it's your kid, you know more than the coaches and your kid should get to play.

Okay, this comment really rubs me the wrong way. How is supporting Canadian qbs getting a chance to play in the CFL all of a sudden about me wanting my son to have more playing time? It's not my kid we're talking about here. He hasn't played since 2015. You don't know me at all or anything about me as a parent. You don't know what my relationship was with his coaches at the junior, JUCO or university level when he played. The way I interpret your words, I must have been obviously a whiney & controlling parent that tried to force coaches to get my son more playing time. Sorry to disappoint. But I wasn't like that.

My son had to fight for his playing time with the Rifles, then his JUCO team & at SFU. I never once called his coaches demanding he play more when he didn't. With the Rifles, as an 18 year-old rookie he started the first two games of his PFC career. Opening game of the season against the Hilltoppers in Saskatoon he threw 3 td passes in his very first game at Gordie Howe Bowl but also two pick 6's & lost.

The following week in a monsoon at Canad Inns Stadium, his second start was a miserable one as he threw 4 pick 6's vs the Edmonton Wildcats. The Rifles lost something like 66-21. After the game he was demoted to #3 qb & never played again that season. The HC ripped him a new one in the Winnipeg Free Press after the game saying he'd never start for him again. My son wasn't aware of the HC comments until he read them in the paper the next day as the HC never spoke with him.  Matter of fact, Coach never spoke to him the rest of the season. Wouldn't even say hello. Just put his head down & always walked by him.

At the end of September he called me & asked if he could quit the team as he was homesick. I told him to stick it out. That he never quit anything in his life & he wasn't about to start now. That quitting when the going got tough would mean it would be easier to quit again the second, third & fourth time around when the going got tough in life. Do you have any idea how hard it was for me to tell him that he couldn't quit when he was upset, crying & begging to come home??? Plus having his mother angry with me as well when I said no?? He said okay he'd stay but slammed the receiver in my ear & didn't speak or text me for another month.

I never called his Head Coach. I never made waves. I wanted him handle the situation like an adult. He ended up staying that season, going back the next & splitting the starting qb position with a teammate who also  had a very good year. He actually was having a decent second season splitting the qb duties until he broke his collarbone in Regina. Making him stay, face adversity & whatever happened all by himself, far away from home for the first time in his life helped him grow up & develop a much tougher skin. The HC never spoke to him again that season. Turned out he didn't speak to half the team, alienated most of the players & was fired when the season ended. 

The moral of the story is I never interfered as a parent with any coaches. I never whined to his HC or complained to the Rifles President about being demoted or being ignored when I easily could have. When he got to California & then SFU it was the same deal. Any problems he told me about, I  stayed out of  & let him handle things on his own. Besides, had I ever called his coaches he'd have been upset & told me to mind my own business. 

So, WBBFanWest, this has nothing to do about me as a parent thinking I knew more than his coaches wanting him to play so you're way off base. Oh & you should know based on my son's performance at the CFL Regional Combine in Edmonton in March 2016, he got a tryout with the Lions & threw for both Wally & Khari Jones in early May.  He had suffered a severely torn hamstring two months before while training for the Combine  & couldn't run in Edmonton & struggled to do so at the Lions practice facility in Surrey.

He was timed by the Lions in the 40 at 5.2 seconds when he normally ran a 4.7. He told me that when he did his forty he felt like his hammy was going to explode so he was scared to run any faster. His 40 time was a huge disappointment. He never told the Lions he was injured. That probably led to his not going further with them or any other chances with any CFL team. So, his playing days were over. Things didn't end the way he wanted them to playing wise but now he coaches & he's happy doing that. He's married, living in Seattle & just got his Green Card. Life goes on. 

I'm just advocating for Canadian qbs. This has nothing to do with my son so please leave him out of the discussion from this point on. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, Goldkobra said:

Make Canadian qbs count against the ratio like other positions. That way another American can start elsewhere. Just like starting a Canadian RB a la Andrew Harris would help. What's it called? Oh yeah, a "ratio breaker". 

A legit chance? What a bunch of nonsense. If this league starts a welfare program for NAT QBs the league will suffer. Every year teams bring in NAT QBs to compete. After that you have to earn your roster spot. Any deviation from that waters down the product. I want the best QBs available on my team

QB is not a position you allow players to develop through undeserved playing time.

Edited by GCn20